325 WSM

May be i should stay with my original idea, and build a 338/06 or a 9.3x62 and be able to use a standard 30/06 action.
@rdog
They are both that close to tour 350 rem mag as both to bother. It's a pity you don't have a Whelen that way you could load it with 225grain accubonds or Woodleigh PPSP and get up to 2,900fps with them. Or you could load the 275 to 2,500fps for more performance.
The 350 rem mag is a better cartridge than the 338/06 and not quite as good as the 9.3x62 but still a great cartridge in its own right.
Find a gap in your armory and do something there.
Bob

@WAB
I would go the Whelen every time and load it properly. It may not have the sd of the smaller calibers but it thumps a lot harder at sensible ranges.
Bob

I don’t disagree Bob. Of course now I’ve fallen in love with a new gal, the 9.3x62, which makes a Whelen a bit redundant. The .325 is now set up for long range shooting in rough country. It is surprisingly well suited to the role.

I have one in Win M70 Extreme Weather.

I have used it on African Plains game with great results, from Steenbok to Zebra and Gemsbok, as well as Sambar here in Australia, and Tahr in NZ

i used 196gn Norma Oryx Projectiles in Africa, and use 180gn Nosler Ballistic tips for the rest. Federal Large Magnum Primers, ADI 2209 powder.

Im very happy with it, and wont be swapping it out any time soon.
@Northwest9
Why the magnum primers a standard primer should do the same job on 2209/H4350.
I use a standard primer with slow burning superformance at 60 grains with no issue at all in any temperature.
Bob

I don’t disagree Bob. Of course now I’ve fallen in love with a new gal, the 9.3x62, which makes a Whelen a bit redundant. The .325 is now set up for long range shooting in rough country. It is surprisingly well suited to the role.
@WAB
The 9.3 is only better because it can be used on DG in some countries but it and the Whelen are pretty much 2 peas in a pod but the Whelen can be loaded a bit better with 225s and 250s. The 275 is equivalent to the 286 and both can be loaded almost identical with the 300+ projectiles.
The 9.3 is good but go the full hog and get @bruce moulds favorite the 9.3x64.
Bob

The one i saw in action this fall was pretty impressive. Hammered 3 shots into a wounded grizzly with a definate reaction from the bear after each shot. The only thing I'm not crazy about, other than the fact that it's a shortmag, is the small bullet selection. ID like to see a heavier bullet like a 250gr or so in a good premium style. I was not terribly impressed with the performance of the 200gr Accubond.

The one i saw in action this fall was pretty impressive. Hammered 3 shots into a wounded grizzly with a definate reaction from the bear after each shot. The only thing I'm not crazy about, other than the fact that it's a shortmag, is the small bullet selection. ID like to see a heavier bullet like a 250gr or so in a good premium style. I was not terribly impressed with the performance of the 200gr Accubond.
@Probono
Maybe he should have been using a Whelen with 250 or 275 grainers.
Bob

That’s exactly what I bought mine for. I was tired of lugging my .375 up the mountains after griz and saw the .325 as a lighter weight alternative with sufficient punch. Ended up moving out before I could test the idea. I agree with you on the Accubond, not my idea of a great bear bullet.

That’s exactly what I bought mine for. I was tired of lugging my .375 up the mountains after griz and saw the .325 as a lighter weight alternative with sufficient punch. Ended up moving out before I could test the idea. I agree with you on the Accubond, not my idea of a great bear bullet.
I know two folks that used / use the 200 grain Accubond. One of them still does, factory ammo. He has killed Grizzly, moose, elk, etc with it. He is content with it.
My other buddy was happy with it for moose, until he had a less than favorable experience with it on a moose. He now hand loads 200 grain TSX.

The 200 grain TSX is my choice. Hopefully this year, I will be fortunate enough to see how it preforms on moose. I need to hand-load some. Though do have a couple of boxes of DoubleTap that grouped pretty good in a couple of light contour barrels, allowing for cooling between shots.

I even have a few boxes of the discontinued factory Winchester XP-3 bullets. That I think were to be the FailSafe replacement. I am not sure there is much difference in the XP-3 and the Accubond ? Perhaps none, except for marketing ?

Magazine capacity might be another strike against the fat mags. Probably 3-4 at most, whereas longer skinnier rounds often stack 5 in the box.
Not a huge issue, but its there depending on the specific rifle.
I have been playing with the 8x64s round for a bit and while I have yet to run anything over the clock, I do believe it will probably come close to the .325 WSM and hold 5 down.

Magazine capacity might be another strike against the fat mags. Probably 3-4 at most, whereas longer skinnier rounds often stack 5 in the box.
Not a huge issue, but its there depending on the specific rifle.
I have been playing with the 8x64s round for a bit and while I have yet to run anything over the clock, I do believe it will probably come close to the .325 WSM and hold 5 down.
Agree, not a huge issue. My 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Winchester Magnums, 338 Winchesters, 416’s, and 458 Winchester only hold 3 in the magazines.

I have two of them a super grade and an extreme weather M70. Haven’t killed anything with either yet but have used the 8 RM a bit and it is a spectacular elk cartridge IMO. As long as Barnes and Swift keep making 8 mil bullets, we won’t be lacking because of selection. I bought enough brass in anticipation of the 325 falling into the hole that a lot have. I’m looking forward to trying the 325 out this upcoming season. In the quest for that do everything North American rifle I don’t see the 338’s falling from my good graces but me thinks the fat little 8 might be a good one.
cheers,
Cody

My 270wsm a Weatherby vanguard holds 3 in the mag it feeds ok but not as slick as the 30 /06 based cartridges, buying a new rifle is the best option for a 325 wsm short action & big bolt face, with the 30/06 size actions you have lots of options, the other issue in Australia is
the 270 wsm & 300 wsm have a reasonable following, but brass for 7mm wsm & 325 wsm is
very hard to get , thinking about it i will would be better to build a 338/06 or 9.3x62 on a Howa long action.

My 270wsm a Weatherby vanguard holds 3 in the mag it feeds ok but not as slick as the 30 /06 based cartridges, buying a new rifle is the best option for a 325 wsm short action & big bolt face, with the 30/06 size actions you have lots of options, the other issue in Australia is
the 270 wsm & 300 wsm have a reasonable following, but brass for 7mm wsm & 325 wsm is
very hard to get , thinking about it i will would be better to build a 338/06 or 9.3x62 on a Howa long action.
@rdog
Mate I told t ok the Whelen with a 25 inch barrel and a good does of 2208 for 2,800 fps with the 225 grain accubonds and away you go.
If you want more penetration get some 220 grain Atomic 29s
Bob.

Ironically, since this latest panic-buying, I see 325 WSM brass in at least 2 retail firearms stores. 7mm WSM I bought a few hundred more after this craziness began. Mainly because it was new brass on sale at near 1/2 normal price. Tough to figure that, but it was.
I think the 7mm WSM & 325 WSM are on periodic brass manufacturing runs. Much like the 458 Winchester & Lott. Lower total demand in the big picture of sells. The 458 Winchester brass gave me a learning curve many years ago.

The cartridges that I suspected were not going to be household names, I bought substantial brass for when or before I bought the rifles. Particularly the 7mm WSM & 325 WSM.
Where I came up shorter than I like on brass, was cartridges that I really did not shoot much. The popular ones, 308 Winchester, 30/06 Springfield, and such. Stuff that I always saw in stock, Until the panic-buying kicks in. Another lesson learned.

I have never handled a .325 WSM but I do use a 8X68s. They should be very similar. The case capacity of the 8x68s is 86.0 grains of water and the .325 WSM is 81.8 grains of water according to Quick Load. I have three loads for the 8x68s. The 180g TSX averages 3065fps, 220g SGK 2770fps and the 250g Woodleigh around 2550fps.

I have used the 8mm Rem Mag for quite some time, in Africa and here in the U.S. My load is with 200g TSX at around 3075fps. It is a real thumper. I compare the 8mag to the 8x68s like the .300Wby to the .300WM. The 8mm Rem Mag has 98 grains of water case capacity.

I have never handled a .325 WSM but I do use a 8X68s. They should be very similar. The case capacity of the 8x68s is 86.0 grains of water and the .325 WSM is 81.8 grains of water according to Quick Load. I have three loads for the 8x68s. The 180g TSX averages 3065fps, 220g SGK 2770fps and the 250g Woodleigh around 2550fps.

I have used the 8mm Rem Mag for quite some time, in Africa and here in the U.S. My load is with 200g TSX at around 3075fps. It is a real thumper. I compare the 8mag to the 8x68s like the .300Wby to the .300WM. The 8mm Rem Mag has 98 grains of water case capacity.
@dchamp
In my Whelen AI I was getting 3,100 with a,180 grain ACP. A similar bullet to the Barnes. It was devastating on pigs reamed them out well.
Bob

I bought a Kimber in .325 around 2005 when I was first starting to think seriously about my first trip to Africa. Lovely little rifle with a light English walnut stock. Ammunition was (and I suppose still is) difficult to find. The two loads that I could get, charitably shot patterns rather than groups. It soon went to a more appreciative home. Obviously that one experience says nothing about the rifle or the cartridge. As short magnums go, it always intrigued me far more than a .300, and I am glad to see it works well for a number on the forum.

I run a win extreme weather with 160gr TTSX No feed problems. Easy enough to get components for and versatile Not a bad calibre.
Heres a bull from a week or so back.

ZLVklm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been running one since they were available. Rifle is a M70 EW in a McM swirly. 4 Mule Deer, 4 Bears, 2 Moose, and a cantankerous Blue Grouse have all been cleanly dispatched with 200gr TSX @ 2830fps. Excellent cartridge for a variety of game. More then is needed for most Canadian large game, but I enjoy the confidence it inspires. Very accurate. I would not own one if I didn't handload though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg