325 WSM

@Vinootz
Nah, my calculator works fine, I just load the Whelen to its full potential instead of pissant under loaded factory stuff put out by Remington.
Bob
Better than being overloaded by the ammo manufactory! When Remington launched the .260 Remington (6.5/.308 by another name) it was quickly discovered in NZ that: if you tried to reload the cases to replicate original velocities, you got some nasty pressure signs. Our general (shooters and trade) conclusion was that Remington had gone for very thin brass to maximise case capacity and then overloaded the ammunition! NOT GOOD.
NB In the 1990s and 2000s it was generally considered that if you wanted to get maximum safe pressures/velocities with the 7mm-08 round i.e., to facilitate longer range shots whilst ‘tops hunting’, you should use Winchester 7mm-08 cases and avoid Remington cases like the plague, unless you just wanted a basic bush hunting load.

Last edited:
So many variables. My model 70 .338 Alaskan kicks way less than my 9.3x62 with light glass stock, way less. Stock design, type of pad, LOP, rifle weight, all play a part in felt recoil. Not to mention the weight of the shooter, technique etc.
Always cracks me up when little light guys whine about recoil, when in fact the heavier bigger guys get whacked harder, more resistance to the recoil.
I can take it, and even like it. I find recoil somewhat therapeutic. Clears my mind.

I can take it, and even like it. I find recoil somewhat therapeutic. Clears my mind.
Well I guess you are a man among men! Saying one likes recoil is like saying its fun to smack oneself on the head with a hammer, therapeutic.
Too much recoil over time makes one numb from the neck up.

It’s all about mind over matter. If you don’t mind it don’t matter. Can’t really say I like it, but it don’t matter.
@MS 9x56
That sounds more like sex with the wife after 20 years. If she don't mind it don't matter.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Well I guess you are a man among men! Saying one likes recoil is like saying its fun to smack oneself on the head with a hammer, therapeutic.
Are you really talking about recoil:)? … OR are you talking about what the missus does to you when she finds new gun cleaning stains on the lounge carpet:D:A Stirring:

I despise recoil and went out of my way to minimize it when I shot competitively in clays. I want to the point of developing my own 3/4 oz 12 ga load which is absolutely lethal, even on long birds.

However, you can learn to manage recoil. I shoot my Lott with no problem, but I will never say that I enjoy the pounding.

Maybe Brandon should take up big bore rifle shooting and JUST MAYBE it would help "clear" his braindead mind? He's already numb from the neck up, so I don't see any real downside? LOL

I wouldn’t notice for I’ve already been numb from the neck up listening to liberals nonsense for decades.

Even though I like my .325, I do understand the comments on the value of adding a new cartridge that basically duplicates the ballistics of an existing cartridge, in this case the 8x68.

If designing a new rifle I would be sorely tempted to go with the 8x68. The magazine capacity restriction of the short mags always irritates me.
Just because cartridges overlap doesn’t mean one overlaps in their collection. Hence why would one care and even seem negative? When I was a kid the elders had a saying: if you don’t have something good to say don’t say it.

Just because cartridges overlap doesn’t mean one overlaps in their collection. Hence why would one care and even seem negative? When I was a kid the elders had a saying: if you don’t have something good to say don’t say it.

Hmm, not sure what I said that was negative. I clearly like my .325 but would consider an 8x68 if building from scratch due to the increased magazine capacity. Sorry if that offends some.

No real experience with it, other than the range. I personally know one person that really likes his. He has used it on grizzly, moose, caribou, and other animals. I am Internet-familiar with others that have used it on the same and African plains game, they were also very satisfied. I do not recall anyone that actually owned and used it, not liking it.
I have a couple of Kimber Montana’s and a M70 Classic in 325 WSM. I am hoping to use one of them moose hunting this year. My bullet choice is the 200 TSX.
My friend used his Winchester 325WSM on one of his trips to South Africa. He said he was quite pleased with it's performance.

I have a Kimber 8400 WSM in 300WSM. I have a short mag mainly because i love the rifle. I load a Barnes 168gr TTSX to 3100fps. I've used it in NA on pronghorn, moose, WT and MD. In Africa, I've used it on everything grey duiker to eland. no regrets.

Hmm, not sure what I said that was negative. I clearly like my .325 but would consider an 8x68 if building from scratch due to the increased magazine capacity. Sorry if that offends some.
I didn't perceive any of that as negative. I have the same issue with all belted and short mag cartridges limiting magazine capacity. Magazine capacity is not a factor in most hunting situations. But it only takes one time when 5 were needed to impress that fact upon us. For me I won't buy or own a rifle with less. Just one hunters opinion.

I have a question for the 325 WSM people out there… How will the 325 work in a 20” barrel?
I have never shot one but I believe Browning offers it in their BLR with 20" barrel.

Ironically, since this latest panic-buying, I see 325 WSM brass in at least 2 retail firearms stores. 7mm WSM I bought a few hundred more after this craziness began. Mainly because it was new brass on sale at near 1/2 normal price. Tough to figure that, but it was.
I think the 7mm WSM & 325 WSM are on periodic brass manufacturing runs. Much like the 458 Winchester & Lott. Lower total demand in the big picture of sells. The 458 Winchester brass gave me a learning curve many years ago.

The cartridges that I suspected were not going to be household names, I bought substantial brass for when or before I bought the rifles. Particularly the 7mm WSM & 325 WSM.
Where I came up shorter than I like on brass, was cartridges that I really did not shoot much. The popular ones, 308 Winchester, 30/06 Springfield, and such. Stuff that I always saw in stock, Until the panic-buying kicks in. Another lesson learned.
Oddball cartridge components go down in price during panic buying sprees, because everyone is stocking up on the basics for their SHTF gear, .223, .308, 9mm, .45 ACP flies off the shelf, but the 7mm and .325 WSM sit there like the ugly kid in an orphanage.

Personally, I skipped over the .325... I built a couple 7 WSM's, had a couple .300 WSM's, built a .35 WSM and now building a .375 WSM. However, I have had several clients tote the .325 WSM for moose and bears and the cartridge is a dandy where it counts... at impact! Good ballistics... choose your bullet wisely though, or load for the scenario... use a soft cup & core bullet at full speed on a baited bear and you will have a mess on your hands. One client used a 200 Partition 400 yards across a marsh on a bull moose and fairly flattened it... impressive, because they rarely go down like that.

Oddball cartridge components go down in price during panic buying sprees, because everyone is stocking up on the basics for their SHTF gear, .223, .308, 9mm, .45 ACP flies off the shelf, but the 7mm and .325 WSM sit there like the ugly kid in an orphanage.

Personally, I skipped over the .325... I built a couple 7 WSM's, had a couple .300 WSM's, built a .35 WSM and now building a .375 WSM. However, I have had several clients tote the .325 WSM for moose and bears and the cartridge is a dandy where it counts... at impact! Good ballistics... choose your bullet wisely though, or load for the scenario... use a soft cup & core bullet at full speed on a baited bear and you will have a mess on your hands. One client used a 200 Partition 400 yards across a marsh on a bull moose and fairly flattened it... impressive, because they rarely go down like that.
I am pretty much committed to the Barnes 200 grain TSX. They seemed to group very well out of couple of Kimber Montana's with the DoubleTap factory loads. So, I bought quite a few for hand loading.

There was a guy, that use to post of different forums, he was a big 325 fan. I think that he killed about everything in Alaska that has a hunting season with his 325. And, some of his family members used the same rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg