.308 Win or .30.06? Which caliber has the nose in front in your country?

Yep, and for most hunters (though probably this board is full of exceptions), that distance is about 250-300 yards for most 308 bullets, especially the premiums. Might be able to squeak it another 50-75 yds with a Nosler Partition or AccuBond over say Woodleigh, Swift, Barnes, or Norma.

And 250-300 yards is as far as most hunters should be shooti
lol

Sarge.

300 yards it a long shot no matter what you are shooting at, no matter what you are shooting with.

"

It saddens me to say it, but around my area both the .308 and .30-06 seem to be losing ground as the younger generation think they need one of the short magnums to hunt deer with. They think the old tried and true cartridges are just for women and little kids.

I am a diehard.308 hunter but have a huge respect for the .30-06 as well. For me as a hunter and not a paper shooter they are like Coke or Pepsi.

Ragman.

In the last 48 hours I took out a 4 pointer with a wonderful short barreled 308 that i built long ago out of a yugo mauser. Thumbhole plywood, carbon fiber hollowed out bever tail fore end. Lightweight barrel and shoots sub groups.

It fires a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3200 fps+ and the dead center chest shot sbredded all internals and dropped on the spot, weight around 100, about 60 yard shot.

Most would be saying that everything is good except the bullet, and for the most part they could be right. With that load you have to pick your shot.

With 150's no animal one targets will be able to tell the difference. The design and appeal of the rifle would be the driving consideration. With 180's, the old 30-06 is a slightly better choice. I am personally a 30-06 fan, but then again, I qualified for 100% social security this year. :sleep:

Interestingly, the weapon's action length had little to do with the original development of the 7.62. Originally it was about the basic load a soldier could carry and a more easily managed weapon in semi and full auto fire. After all, the M-14 was essentially an M-1. The FN-FAL was the first battle rifle to truly take advantage of the new round, and it was essentially an adaption of FN 49 in 7x57.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was/is a marketing coup. A good round, yes, but doesn't do anything more than the myriad of 6.5 cartridges that preceded it. No regrets on the 26 Noslers, didn't have the ambition to set them back every few hundred rounds. The 28s aren't any slouches on throats either. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with that round in .30 caliber and shoot weights in the 168 to 215 range.
In a drawing last year, I won a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. As you note, it does nothing that any of my other (and far older) 6.5's won't do and less than some. It is also perhaps the cheapest rifle design that I have ever seen. I am fairly certain the rumbling I heard when I really looked at it was old Bill rolling in his grave. I have an elegant little 6.5x57 and a classic 6.5x54 that have souls. I also have a .25-06 and a .264 if someone wants to get serious about reach. All that said, if this silliness regenerates interest in the 6.5 then great. It is just about perfectly balanced for deer. I gave the rifle to my son who seemed pleased.

one of my light weight walking rifles, a browning 1885 in .260 Remington. its up to any thing short of dangous game, with bullets from 100 gr to 160 gr bullets.

DSCN1017 (2).JPG
DSCN1020 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
With 150's no animal one targets will be able to tell the difference. The design and appeal of the rifle would be the driving consideration. With 180's, the old 30-06 is a slightly better choice. I am personally a 30-06 fan, but then again, I qualified for 100% social security this year.

Interestingly, the weapon's action length had little to do with the original development of the 7.62. Originally it was about the basic load a soldier could carry and a more easily managed weapon in semi and full auto fire. After all, the M-14 was essentially an M-1. The FN-FAL was the first battle rifle to truly take advantage of the new round, and it was essentially an adaption of FN 49 in 7x57.
Though I've never read it I always guessed one of reasons it replaced the 30-06 was exactly what you mention. Also, you can pack more into an ammo can and a whole lot more into a supply ship. That adds up in a war.

ITO new gun sales .308 outsells 30-06 by a long way.
This may have to do with the introduction on the 300WSM but even before that I didnt see very many new 06's in the field.
Possibly just a matter of fashion , what the guy behind the counter has to say, etc.
ITO application and terminal effect there is actually nothing between the two save that an 06 recoils more heavily than an 08 in an identical rifles

ITO new gun sales .308 outsells 30-06 by a long way.
This may have to do with the introduction on the 300WSM but even before that I didnt see very many new 06's in the field.
Possibly just a matter of fashion , what the guy behind the counter has to say, etc.
ITO application and terminal effect there is actually nothing between the two save that an 06 recoils more heavily than an 08 in an identical rifles
From a manufaturing point of view 30-06 must still be a good seller and by default heading to the field. If it doesn't sell manufacturers won't mass produce it. Check out typical left handed rifles by large companies like the Savage 110 Storm or Ruger American, or field grade right handers by smaller companies like Musgrave. It's a short list with both 308 and 30-06 still on the list, and for a magnum the classic 300 Win Mag and maybe 7mm Rem Mag.

Things I see as a left hander...

I think the 308s are outselling the 30-06 right now because of less recoil. Adult men are becoming soft and scared to death of the 06. If you shoot a 7mag deer hunting you are looked upon as a god.

I do however have a 308 lever gun and have shot several mid/large whitetail bucks and several does. I always find the bullet on the opposite hide and there is very little blood on the ground. That would never happen with the 30-06. An extra 200-300fps is enough to make two holes. I will take 2 holes any day.

To me, there is no question; the 30-06 is superior

I think the 308s are outselling the 30-06 right now because of less recoil. Adult men are becoming soft and scared to death of the 06. If you shoot a 7mag deer hunting you are looked upon as a god.

Down here it's the opposite extreme. Everyone needs a .300 Win Mag, .300 WSM or .300 Wby to kill a 100 lb Bambi at 15 yards. Might have to take a 500 yard shot at that Monster 200 lb Buck in a powerline cut don't you know.

.30/06 is for 11 yo boys and .308 for 11 yo girls...

Down here it's the opposite extreme. Everyone needs a .300 Win Mag, .300 WSM or .300 Wby to kill a 100 lb Bambi at 15 yards. Might have to take a 500 yard shot at that Monster 200 lb Buck in a powerline cut don't you know.

.30/06 is for 11 yo boys and .308 for 11 yo girls...
Ain't that the truth?

I believe the most popular caliber in Australia is the 308.
I’ve had I 308 and 2 30/06s.
But
I prefer the 270 - just a personal choice.

my go to rifle is my 30-06. Had it now for 15 years and hunted all over the world with it. I can hand load it with a myriad of bullets and weights for any situation.
I also own a 308 Browning BLR for driven and woodland stalking. My 243 is a great rifle and I have probably taken more head of game with this. The 243 is capable of taking anything in the UK. It is set up for Foxing and high seat shooting but it did perform very well on Oryx and Warthog in Namibia.
I have just got a Rigby 274 (7x57) I suspect this could become a bit of a favourite when I get it set up.
Markcz

I tend to pick caliber based on game and conditions.

My woods rifle is my Great Grandad's .38 WCF (.38-40) with 0.401 180 grain large meplat hard cast at 1550 fps. A little slow compared to the Winchester Hi-Velocity (1775 fps) he used to shoot but those were likely 12,000+ psi over modern SAAMI.

My beanfield rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I see .30/06 as a combo Mule Deer / Elk Rifle.

I see the .308 Win as a .30/06 substitute for light weight short-action rifles.

Don't confuse the issue by introducing facts.

I feel at least in my state in Australia there's a demographic split in popularity that I've noticed.

The rough 'bogan' types, that love to kill everything that move while sinking rum cans tend to use 308 around here.

More serious dedicated hunters tend to have a 30-06.

Both fall behind 300 WM in popularity though. We're in the land over gross overkill to excuse terrible shooting!
Just found this old thread.

I think .308 would easiily outsell .30-06 in Australia, always has I believe.

.223 probably ranks high on the Centrefire ammo and rifle sales,

I've owned several .308 rifles, hunted with them and still will. I had a .280ai built because I like the specifications on performance. I wanted something I felt was a little more refined. But the .308 stays anyway.

It's not the Rum or the .308 that is the issue but there are some rough necks out there who favour these. Perhaps we need to concede that they have better taste than we give them credit for. And perhaps we should not judge a book by it's cover.

Just found this old thread.

I think .308 would easiily outsell .30-06 in Australia, always has I believe.

.223 probably ranks high on the Centrefire ammo and rifle sales,

I've owned several .308 rifles, hunted with them and still will. I had a .280ai built because I like the specifications on performance. I wanted something I felt was a little more refined. But the .308 stays anyway.

It's not the Rum or the .308 that is the issue but there are some rough necks out there who favour these. Perhaps we need to concede that they have better taste than we give them credit for. And perhaps we should not judge a book by it's cover.
I’d also say that it’s not the more serious hunters who use the .30-06 but more like people who think they need the “extra power” over the .308 to take game.

In the U.S., the Creedmoors, the PRCs and the Noslers are the cartridges du jour. I'd surmise these are selling 100 times rifles chambered in '06 and .308.

In the U.S., the Creedmoors, the PRCs and the Noslers are the cartridges du jour. I'd surmise these are selling 100 times rifles chambered in '06 and .308.
Let me think. I have 22LR, 223/5.56, 6.5CR, 7RM, 308, 30-06, 375HH. Pretty well covers the entire spectrum, I'd say. Each one has it's slot for what I want to hunt. For everything except dg my 06 is my primary. I can load from 110gr to 220gr in several bullet configurations and powder charges.

Of course a long history with 06 plays a big part, starting with an 03 Springfield in the military and progressing to Garand, 30 calMG and BAR. Several other civilian 06s since. Compared to the 308/7.62s Uncle Sam gave me I much preferred the Garand. Only exception was the M60.

I’d also say that it’s not the more serious hunters who use the .30-06 but more like people who think they need the “extra power” over the .308 to take game.
Agreed, and shot placement is paramount. The same projectile from a .30-06 at the increased velocity probably doesn't change the result much if the shot placement is off.

I think another thing with the .308 uptake here is well known, a bit like the .30-30 was.

Just a cool factor, you mate has a .30-30 , nowadays a .308 oh yeah it's just what you need.

Serious hunters, seasoned shooters or proper gun nuts might decide to look into it a bit further and decide on something specific for the different reasons. Recoil, ballistics, long range, calibre preference or an improved cartridge variation. I was told of the .280ai and read enough to convince myself it was just what I wanted.

Back to cool factor or my mate has one, guess what's the new normal?

I'm to old and grumpy for a Man Bun but I bet it's what all the younger shooters have to have right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg