.300 Win Mag Test Results/ Barnes 180 gr. TSX--and Question

Trading 60-70 fps for 2-3" or group size? Forget about it! Clean your barrel thoroughly. Tweak the load in 0.1gr increments from 68.5 to 69.5gr to find the center. Go hunting.

Based on a little research I did, your velocity is right in the ballpark of where it should be for that powder and weight, maybe even a little higher than could be expected.

I’d certainly hunt any big game with a load like that! But what Phil wrote that you may find a half grain more or less improves accuracy, or as Larry indicated seat the Barnes deeper. Both have worked for me. Also changing your primer as you did has also worked for me.
I personally wouldn’t shoot 5 shot groups in a big game rifle. I’ve never been able to fire more than three rounds before the game has disappeared. Multiple 3 shot groups on different days, temps, wind conditions is my preference for validating a big game load.
Now for my prairie dog rifle I need to shoot 15-20 rounds each trip with differing weather conditions.
Looks like your doing great!

I think I am going to drop the rifle off on Monday to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor. I'll further tweak the loads once that is done, but I think it is good enough at this point that I am definitely taking this rifle to RSA.

In case anyone is interested, I am going to have the rifle threaded 1/2-28 and use it with my SilencerCo Harvester 30 here in the U.S. Taking a suppressor overseas is likely a no go, but I am just going to buy one in South Africa and leave it there. I am advised I can get one for US$150. Apparently suppressors aren't regulated in South Africa. I'll just use it on my trip and leave it with him.

Most hunting rifles will tell you the load at 100 yds with two and only two successive shots from a cold bore on the first shot. 99 per cent of the time with hunting conditions this will replicate normal conditions. Try the same at 200 and 300 yds...the results could be an eye opener. Remember in Africa your elevation could be adetermining factor if substantially different than home. My 630' elevation at home affected my shot by 1.5 inches high when in 3500' elevation in Namibia". Not rocket science. A 30 06 shooting a 180 gr at 2750 fps is a true aim on hair at 400 yds when sighted in at 100 yds and has proven itself on my last four trips to Africa on Kudu, Wildebeast on down. I am not recommending 400 yd shots but it will get you in the money. I can not imagine a more common, accessible ammo, and recoil tolerant round and
with enough down range energy to handle any plainsgame than the 180 gr bullet from a 30 06.....but for whatever reason I, for nostalgic reasoning, would love to have a 300 HH. I have a 300 Win and. 300 Weatherby but am not inclined to the recoil for the trade off in FPS gain....dead is dead. Pass thrus are pass thrus.

Last edited:
I've sent 100s of TSX and TTSX bullets down range and never clean my bore. I have always had excellent accuracy. Have you done as others suggested and seated your bullets deeper? I've used RL22 and IMR4831 with good results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross