Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD), Botswana
So, I've hunted elk and deer primarily and was looking for feedback on factory ammo for the .300 win mag. for African plains game. I've shot hornady Superformance, Barnes TTSX, and a couple others. Most shoot well out of my Browning x-bolt, but I was leaning towards the Hornady Precision 200 grain ELDX or the Superformance 185 grain GMX. The Superformance is 200 FPS faster and solid copper alloy, the ELDX is heavier supposed to fly better but it's a jacket with less retained weight (Hornady says 50-60%)

I feel like I'm overthinking it, but don't want to watch some wounded animal run off either! I guess my other worry is if the Superformance is just to quick and it'll "blow up" (3200 FPS).

If anyone has been hunting with factory loads for a .300 win mag I'd love your feedback!

I've used Federal Premium 180 grains on elk, deer, bear, kudu, wildebeest, gemsbok, impala, hartebeest, all with awesome results!

I can't imagine any elk within 400 yards of a .300Win Mag not falling to a 180gr Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, Swift A-Frame or TTSX when properly hit.

Can't say I have any experience with the ELDX nor have I read much either. But what I have read has had some questionable results. I only say this to advise you to pursue more on this bullet, not to turn away from it just yet.

I have used barnes vor-tx factory rounds with great results. It is 180 ttsx labeled to be 2980 fps out of the box. Shot very good groups out of my gun and runs 45 to 50 a box.

I would use the barnes ttsx or the gmx. Anything that will kill an elk will work on plains game. One thing I noticed is the vitals on a lot of african game is farther forward. So more shots will be through the shoulder. Shots that would be in the lungs of a deer or elk could be in the guts of some african game.

used 180 grain ttsx in 300 wm and it worked great - eland @ 255; kudu @ 215 and impala @ 100+. all "in the crease", all ran a short distance.

I bought the Barnes TTSX and shot them this weekend, shot well. I had previously shot Superformance and those shot well. I figure either would put down Game but it's nice to get some feedback from others that have been there.

image.jpg
I used Barnes Vor-Tx 180 on my last trip took 5 animals in less than 50 yards.
One dropped on the spot Nyala, Impala, Hartebeest, Gemsbuck and a Warthog that took a second shot but didn't go more than the 50 yards. First shot was a little back, quartering away about 75 degrees, could have been better but it could have just walked away and never seen him again.
Bottom first three shots are bottem left but couldn't see the last one so shot a fourth one at 200 yards. Middle three shots at 300 yards.
Ones with 300 WM on them.

I have been using 180 grain federal preimuim Nosler partitions in my 300 mag for years. Never had any problems. If you have been hunting Elk and have confidence in the bullet/cartridge go with it. If it works on Elk you should have no problems with plains game in africa.

Barnes VOR-TX 180 grain. Best factory round I've found. Use it exclusively in my .300.

I would use Swift A-Frame 165-180gr, Barnes 150-180gr TTSX or Nosler Partition 180gr in that order.
The extra FPS with the Superformance ammo is not a big deal since you already have more than enough speed and the bullets(including the ELD) are not as good . The above bullets are all much better.

Most important is shot placement.

I concur with the partition, a-frame and ttsx. All of these bullets retain more than 90% of their weight. I believe the eldx is only rated for @60%. Shot placement first, weight and thus penetration through a shoulder second. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg