300 Blackout reloading problem

Forrest Halley

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I'm using Hornady Custom red box dies, Lee shell holder #4, Lyman Case lube. The issue I am having is that the die is sticking no matter how much or how little lubricant is used. There is something going wrong at full seating. With or without the expander plug and decapping assembly in place I experience the inability to extract the case from the die. I have cleaned the die with rubbing alcohol and completely degreased it. Still it locks up when a properly lubed case is inserted. This setup all worked just fine until today when it started eating every case no matter what. At first it was picky and would remind you to renew the case lube on the pad, but now it's just absurd. Anybody have a clue as to what is going on or any similar experience? Thanks.

ugh…stuck cases can be a major pain!

Are there any scratches on the case (if you can get it out!)

It really seems like it might be the lube. Possibly dried out, aged, contaminated?

I just fl resized over 300 BO cases using Lee case lube (a buddy taught this to me-1/2 tube mixed with 1 bottle of Heat, shake and pour into a small spray bottle). I put the cases into a 2 gallon ziploc bag; spray a few shots of lube into the bag; shake the bag around; pour the cases out onto an old cookie sheet; let dry; then fl size.
Not a failure. Same works on 223 & 222 cases.
My Blackout die set is the small base RCBS. I have had numerous problems with Hornady fl sizing dies.

Best of luck and let us know if you find the problem.

Forrest,
I'm perplexed to hear this. If they were sizing OK, what has changed? I've always used a RCBS case lube pad with no issues. DON'T get lube on the shoulder though. Maybe put some lube inside the case neck with a RCBS brush? I do that all the time. That's probably not the issue, but I've never reloaded the .300 Blackout. Just a bump here for someone who might know the answer?
CEH

So an update on my situation: I am now thinking it may be a faulty shell holder of all things. I was using a Lee #4 shell holder in single stage, but it just seems sloppy and loose to me.

I got a wild hair this evening and decided to undergo much effort to change over my Dillon 550 from my much beloved .45 LC setup perfectly to produce derringer ammunition to the Blackout setup. I looked through my kits and found a .380 conversion kit which I bought for the 9mm powder funnel eons ago, but I digress. Turns out it fits the 300 BLK too and so I tried it out. I had planned to do this all along, but I am awaiting the 300 BLK powder funnel. Well it seems that the Dillon shell plate has all the magic grab to make sizing and decap happen properly even with less lube than ideal. Whatever was hanging up the works has now gone away and I processed some twenty-one cases in far less time than ever before without fear of destroying cases. Go figure...I'm still not sure what went wrong.

So an update on my situation: I am now thinking it may be a faulty shell holder of all things. I was using a Lee #4 shell holder in single stage, but it just seems sloppy and loose to me.

I got a wild hair this evening and decided to undergo much effort to change over my Dillon 550 from my much beloved .45 LC setup perfectly to produce derringer ammunition to the Blackout setup. I looked through my kits and found a .380 conversion kit which I bought for the 9mm powder funnel eons ago, but I digress. Turns out it fits the 300 BLK too and so I tried it out. I had planned to do this all along, but I am awaiting the 300 BLK powder funnel. Well it seems that the Dillon shell plate has all the magic grab to make sizing and decap happen properly even with less lube than ideal. Whatever was hanging up the works has now gone away and I processed some twenty-one cases in far less time than ever before without fear of destroying cases. Go figure...I'm still not sure what went wrong.
Awesome! But, we'll see how it loads the .35 Whelen?

Forrest,
I'm perplexed to hear this. If they were sizing OK, what has changed? I've always used a RCBS case lube pad with no issues. DON'T get lube on the shoulder though. Maybe put some lube inside the case neck with a RCBS brush? I do that all the time. That's probably not the issue, but I've never reloaded the .300 Blackout. Just a bump here for someone who might know the answer?
CEH
I have never really been a lube inside the neck guy. Not for any of the bottle necks. I generally polish the expander ball and move on if there's a stick. I'm not sure what changed. I had the decap arrangement out to size 5.56 donor brass and then went back to making. Nothing abnormal.

ugh…stuck cases can be a major pain!

Are there any scratches on the case (if you can get it out!)

It really seems like it might be the lube. Possibly dried out, aged, contaminated?

I just fl resized over 300 BO cases using Lee case lube (a buddy taught this to me-1/2 tube mixed with 1 bottle of Heat, shake and pour into a small spray bottle). I put the cases into a 2 gallon ziploc bag; spray a few shots of lube into the bag; shake the bag around; pour the cases out onto an old cookie sheet; let dry; then fl size.
Not a failure. Same works on 223 & 222 cases.
My Blackout die set is the small base RCBS. I have had numerous problems with Hornady fl sizing dies.

Best of luck and let us know if you find the problem.,
The cases were scratched. I noticed that I am not a big Hornady user. I have Lott dies, .45 ACP, 300 BLK, and a few of their seating dies for 9mm and .357 because I like that drop down shroud for longer bullets. My rifle dies are either Lee or RCBS without further exception. I do enjoy the Hornady locking rings and that was a major purchase point. I'm likely going to be in the same boat for the 5.56 dies I ordered as well.
Awesome! But, we'll see how it loads the .35 Whelen?
Like a pet rock walks. That's how. Only happening if someone gives me a rifle. I'm not rushing out to pledge allegiance to the Ozzy wonder cartridge. I'm busy over here lobbing 220gr SMKs in clandestine manner. If I feel the need to make noise, I'll do it with one of God's blessed cartridges like the .243! They really bring down the thunder I hear.

Interesting! I’ll be watching to see how the Dillon works out. I wouldn’t have thought of the shell holder.
I do believe, if your cases come out scratched, the die is either not cleaned, or damaged. You may need to polish it out.

Too heavily polished internals of a die have exactly the opposite effect. When they are polished, more of the case contacts the inner walls of the die and causes it to stick. I would also check for heavy brass buildup in the die. If it is scratching cases that would be a likely culprit.

Interesting! I’ll be watching to see how the Dillon works out. I wouldn’t have thought of the shell holder.
I do believe, if your cases come out scratched, the die is either not cleaned, or damaged. You may need to polish it out.
I have a feeling it will work out in a most uneventful manner. I have only the powder die to setup and then roll off as many as I can make up. Maybe I'll make up 300 or so more cases and start cutting and trimming to get ahead of the flood. I also have a rail mounted brass catcher to avoid case loss in the grass and leaves. This thing is an addictive little toy.

@Ridgewalker I am using a Ballistic Research and Machine AR-QA suppressor. It's a small shop that does government work. The design is very interesting in that I don't have to change gas settings to make it work quiet vs. loud. Something about a gas bypass system. They have a Facebook page with some exciting videos including a suppressed SAW in 300BLK.

IMG_20210626_143632882.jpg
IMG_20210625_203310029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else entirely to note that I am absolutely digging about the 300 BLK is that twice now I have had a wrinkle in the case body during seating. I have twice jammed them into the chamber and shot them down range for hits. Very nice to be able to do that. It's giving me a good feeling of the reliability of the cartridge and the "faux-bine".

Forrest, a neat looking little SBR! I’ll have to research that.

Thanks! I enjoyed the build process.

I skipped the SBR step. There was too much extra paperwork for travel. That's a brace.
Now you just need a binary trigger and your masterpiece will be complete.

The cases were scratched. I noticed that I am not a big Hornady user. I have Lott dies, .45 ACP, 300 BLK, and a few of their seating dies for 9mm and .357 because I like that drop down shroud for longer bullets. My rifle dies are either Lee or RCBS without further exception. I do enjoy the Hornady locking rings and that was a major purchase point. I'm likely going to be in the same boat for the 5.56 dies I ordered as well.

Like a pet rock walks. That's how. Only happening if someone gives me a rifle. I'm not rushing out to pledge allegiance to the Ozzy wonder cartridge. I'm busy over here lobbing 220gr SMKs in clandestine manner. If I feel the need to make noise, I'll do it with one of God's blessed cartridges like the .243! They really bring down the thunder I hear.
@Forrest Halley
The only thunder that rains down on the 243 is the thunder of laughter that comes forth from the thought that someone inflicted it on the hunting public and people actually believed all the bullshit.
I understand the use of your clandestine gun as you are scared shitless of that lovely wife of yours bitch slapping you all over the shop for hurting your sons ears. At least you ar still hunting. If you wanted something better you could always get an upper to suit the 350 legend. At least it's a 35 cal and also subsonic and supressable.
Bob

Now you just need a binary trigger and your masterpiece will be complete.
So I actually installed my old Tac Con 241 in there. It's an interesting design with a mechanically assisted reset, but much older than the binary.
@Forrest Halley
The only thunder that rains down on the 243 is the thunder of laughter that comes forth from the thought that someone inflicted it on the hunting public and people actually believed all the bullshit.
I understand the use of your clandestine gun as you are scared shitless of that lovely wife of yours bitch slapping you all over the shop for hurting your sons ears. At least you ar still hunting. If you wanted something better you could always get an upper to suit the 350 legend. At least it's a 35 cal and also subsonic and supressable.
Bob
Now I know why the push for the 350 Legend. It's a turdy-phive! Except I don't have a suppressor for that and I'm not waiting another nine months. You are aware that it was invented to embrace the AR faux-bine for deer hunting in certain straight wall pistol states. Interesting concept for sure, but I'm again a day late and dollar short on the turdy-phive train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.