30-06 - The calibre to love or hate?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Ado, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    I’d love to hear how this shoots as well as how the recoil is Rickmt?

2. Rickmt

Rickmt SILVER SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA NZ-Montana,Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
    Will do ridgewalker!

Ridgewalker likes this.

3. Milehighshooter

Milehighshooter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Rick you're on the right track. I previously had s Colt Light Rifle, which was a Melvin designed gun sold for the masses. Fantastic shooter. I did pretty good with 130 TSX's but that gun can turned out my tightest group ever, in the low 2's, using 165 gr bullets. Granted mine were FailSafe not Accubonds, I think you'll find a great balance. An ultra light 30-06 with 165's will just plain do the job. With a modern premium bullet you won't be wanting on performance.

Ridgewalker likes this.

4. Odinsraven

Odinsraven AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
    Hunted:
    UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
    7x64 7x57 270 win 30.06 7mm rem mag 8mm rem mag 318 WR 8x57 all work same out to 200 plus m .................have hunted Africa with all the above

These days whats clean zeroed and 200 rounds loaded or on tbe shelf flies with me ...never noticed any great difference ....... save for the 8mm Rem Mag .........drop in the boiler room ànd job done .....Shared a lodge with a guy recently 3 rifles for plainsgame .....and then regretted not bringing his 7mm rem mag ...... Jeasus on a bike relax ...passed up a Kudu as did not have xxxx calibre in his hand .......He was my excuse for my Klippie intake before dinner each night ......

5. Rickmt

Rickmt SILVER SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA NZ-Montana,Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
    sounds good Milehighshooter !

6. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    The .30/06 ,is a great calibre. I've taken PG up to wildebeest and kudu with no problem. Shot sharks and camels with it, and lots of stuff here in Oz. My daughter even rolled her NT buffalo with my 30/06 - using Woodleigh 180gr PSPs.

Like with any precision instrument, it has to be correctly prepared and used for it's intended purpose. So, as long as you reload intelligently - using appropriate bullet selection - there's no reason why it can't be used for everything up to the heaviest of deer and antelope (including leopard).

(y)

7. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    It’s like anything else, if a fella buys a rifle puts cheap glass on it the grabs a box of Remington corelocks and expects to go out and be successful he’s fooling himself. These are also the folks that boresite the rifle and only shoot it maybe once a year and at an animal resulting in a wounded/lost animal or a miss then blame the rifle. Truth is to be proficient with any rifle, regardless of caliber, it takes acceptable quality accessories, good ammo, and a ton of sweat equity via practice.
    Another issue is using calibers with either poor bullet pairing for game sought or just flat out pushing the caliber beyond its intended threshold.
    Unfortunately the above examples are waaaay to common. The average North American hunter is unfortunately part of a group of people that, as a whole, love everything about guns except shooting them. Additionally, the average hunter thinks he knows a whole lot more than he really does.
    Don’t get me wrong, there are some super squared away men and women out there and a hellava lot of them on this great site which makes hunting with them a true joy. But..... wow have I seen some fellas that really need to be honest with themself and put forth the effort.

ve7poi, Hearties, Timbo and 2 others like this.

8. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    +1

lwaters likes this.

9. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatchewan Trappers Association, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada ( Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon) USA ( Montana) Germany, South Africa ( E.C)
    I tried to not like the 30-06 for years, because that's what my Dad and his hunting buddies all used. I thought I was way more sophisticated than them. So I used many other cartridges but never a 30-06 until quite recently. I still prefer certain other cartridges for certain jobs, but now I have a couple of 30-06 rifles and like them too.

ldmay375 likes this.

10. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    My favorite 30-06 loves 180 gun Remington Corelocks.
    I would love for it to shoot a better bullet nearly as well, but if I HAVE to make a shot, that is what goes in the rifle.

11. Black Fly

Black Fly AH Member

Hunted:
    Namibia
    I killed my first deer with an '06 forty nine years ago, and yes, it was a 180 grain corelokt. Many more since then, plus a number of groundhogs and varmints and on my one and only plainsgame hunt jackal, springbok, hartebeest, warthog, gemsbok, kudu and zebra have since fallen to my '06. When i do my part, it's one shot kills, everything in Africa was.
    I have and use loads with buckshot, 100 grain plinkers, 125 grain varmint bullets, 150, 165 and 180 grain big game bullets.
    My problem with it is, I really can't justify getting another caliber. I've had a bunch of other bigger ones that I've sold off, and am gradually selling the smaller bores, as well. Currently i have an itch for another bigger bore, but i just can't come up with anything I can afford to hunt that my old beat up '06 won't handle. That's the problem with an accurate rifle in a versatile caliber. I could live with just my 22, my '06, my 12 gauge and my muzzleloader. I just might be there in a couple years.

Bfly

7x57Joe, Timbo and JakeH like this.

12. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    My daughter with her buffalo, using my 30/06 with Woodleigh 180gr PSP (Yep! I'm a proud Dad!): 20171118_151548.jpg

Velo Dog, gizmo, ve7poi and 6 others like this.

13. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    A proud dad as you should be. Lovely young huntress and obviously a great shot!

ve7poi and Timbo like this.

14. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Thanks mate!! She just loves going hunting with Dad, and especially so in Africa (And btw I'm still ticked off we each missed the Group Hunt in July!!).

Velo Dog and Ridgewalker like this.

15. Terry Blauwkamp

Terry Blauwkamp AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Nambia, & South Africa
    The '06 works just fine, just don't ask it to do what it was not designed to so.

bruce moulds and Ridgewalker like this.

16. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    My first encounter with 06 was an issue M-1 Garand compliments of Uncle Sam way back in the dark ages. Love at first round and still to this day. I just bought an 06 from MRC. My first one in years except for my old match grade M-1. It was made the same year I was and shoots better than I can. Once you have an 06 you can't live without one.

17. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    Never fired one but I reckon they must’ve be a favourite with the Yanks. They like the Ought-6
    My guess is the .308 is more popular down under for various reasons but we’d all know the .30-06 has a little more go and it’s offspring the .270 is highly regarded

Timbo likes this.

18. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Very nice and I must say “congratulations”.

Timbo likes this.

19. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    All three 308 270 and 30/06 are great.
    My preference however though is the 270.

walk-in likes this.

20. Moosemind

Moosemind AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alaska
    Here's an old Mauser 2000 30-06 I used deer hunting on Kodiak. This 60" fox was shot with a 220 grain round nose. The small exit hole is to the right of the rifle. Minimal damage. 20171130_150433.jpeg

Ridgewalker, 7x57Joe and Velo Dog like this.