Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
so I have a 80s or 90s era Winchester Model 70 in .30-06. I want something bigger and cooler. Considered a .35 Whelen, and a .338-‘06.

Anybody want to throw some ideas out there? I don’t want to drop a dump truck full of money into it, but I know that this isn’t a DIY thing either.

I’ve started reloading again, but don’t think I would be into fireforming and then resizing and all kinds of crazy acrobatics w a Dillon.

.458 WM? .416 Ruger? Or...

so I have a 80s or 90s era Winchester Model 70 in .30-06. I want something bigger and cooler. Considered a .35 Whelen, and a .338-‘06.

Anybody want to throw some ideas out there? I don’t want to drop a dump truck full of money into it, but I know that this isn’t a DIY thing either.

I’ve started reloading again, but don’t think I would be into fireforming and then resizing and all kinds of crazy acrobatics w a Dillon.

Well there you go.....you answered it. Get your hands on a 416 Ruger Guide Gun and have some fun!
Mine is not for sale

Barrels are reasonably cheap, id go whelen if it were me and i wasn’t buying anything else. this way you can keep the bolt without spending money there. There a guy in oregon that will rebore your current barrel for 225 bucks if it has enough metal. That and a smith taking it off and on is pretty cash conscious. Why not sping for a 375 h&h. You can handload it to do many things. I bought a 1965 model 70 for 800 in mint shape.

I think you found a couple of excellent choices in the 35 Whelen and 338-06! Both can handle anything in North America.
Is your Win 70 a push feed or CRF?

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you rebuilding your 30-06 into something bigger, or are you getting something to complement it?

If rebuilding, then consider the 35 Whelen or perhaps the 9.3x62.
Both should work well with minimal (if any) gunsmithing work apart from the re-barreling (as they are more or less a 30-06 with a bigger bullet).

The 35 Whelen is not so common in Europe, so I can't make any first-hand comments on performance. I don't even think I've seen a rifle chambered for that round. But as you will be reloading, you'll have access to cheap pistol bullets for plinking and general practice, which is a huge benefit.

One reason we don't see Whelen more, is of course the fact that the 9.3×62 is quite common here, but I believe it is gaining some traction in North America as well. Getting hold of brass and bullets would be a little bit more work I guess. The main advantage of the 9.3x62 is the slightly heavier bullets available - 320 and 325 grains from Woodleigh and Norma, respectively.

From a practical point of view I don't think it matters much, and the animals won't know the difference.

Or .404Jeffery.

Or .404Jeffery.

The 404 might be too long for the action.

It would seem the two options listed by the OP, the 35 Whelen and the 338-06 are the best and easiest. I am not familiar with either, so I can't comment. Personally, I'd keep the 06 and if you really want something with more punch, go get a used 300 WM, 338 WM or...................wait for it..............................375 Ruger!

Barrels are reasonably cheap, id go whelen if it were me and i wasn’t buying anything else. this way you can keep the bolt without spending money there. There a guy in oregon that will rebore your current barrel for 225 bucks if it has enough metal. That and a smith taking it off and on is pretty cash conscious. Why not sping for a 375 h&h. You can handload it to do many things. I bought a 1965 model 70 for 800 in mint shape.
I have a Model 70 in .375 H&H. Was going to use go make a .404 or .470 but it shoots so well, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. lol

The 404 might be too long for the action.

It would seem the two options listed by the OP, the 35 Whelen and the 338-06 are the best and easiest. I am not familiar with either, so I can't comment. Personally, I'd keep the 06 and if you really want something with more punch, go get a used 300 WM, 338 WM or...................wait for it..............................375 Ruger!
I have all of the above. That’s the problem I find, at some point I think I’m overlapping calibers. If I could just get into liking smaller calibers,..

don't laugh, but 9.3x64 will go into a 30/06 mag and function with no alteration, however the boltface will need modification.
this is a wonderful cartridge, and can be downloaded to equal the x62 if you so desire, while equalling the 375 at the top end.
bruce.

I like the 338-06. You have a great deal of bullets to choose from but so does the 30-06. Medium bores get a lot of press but not many sales here in America.

338-06 or 375 Whelen! Rebarrel, mount scope, go shoot!

don't laugh, but 9.3x64 will go into a 30/06 mag and function with no alteration, however the boltface will need modification.
this is a wonderful cartridge, and can be downloaded to equal the x62 if you so desire, while equalling the 375 at the top end.
bruce.
You have my attention now....

Don’t let me discourage you from getting something bigger and cooler for the sake of bigger and cooler, but don’t discount what the ‘06 can do with heavy bullets. The 220gr bullets turn it into an entirely different animal if you ask me...

If I was making the change, I’d go with a .35 Whelen. I’ve always wanted one.

Don’t let me discourage you from getting something bigger and cooler for the sake of bigger and cooler, but don’t discount what the ‘06 can do with heavy bullets. The 220gr bullets turn it into an entirely different animal if you ask me...

If I was making the change, I’d go with a .35 Whelen. I’ve always wanted one.
I agree w you for sure. I have a .30-06 already that shoots like a dream with just about everything I put in it.

Since I joined here, I think I’ve added 14 or 15 rifles to my safe. That’s no exaggeration. Everything from .500 Jeffery to .22 Hornet. It’s pretty much not my fault...

I agree w you for sure. I have a .30-06 already that shoots like a dream with just about everything I put in it.

Since I joined here, I think I’ve added 14 or 15 rifles to my safe. That’s no exaggeration. Everything from .500 Jeffery to .22 Hornet. It’s pretty much not my fault...

My goal has always been to try to have a small number of nice, versatile rifles. Things like a .223, .30-06, .375 etc. This place sure does make the “small number” really hard to stick to.

Look at MRC's African in 404 Jef. Seeing as how you have a 375, it's the next logical step. I'm going to order one next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg