Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Anyone have any thoughts on 284 class cartridges? My only "no" is 7mm Rem Mag - just not a fan of most magnum cartridges, plus this will probably end up being my wife's rifle, so I don't want to crush her with recoil (not a lot of shooting experience).

so... 7mm-08 vs 280 Rem vs 7x57

I know what the published data is (I have 2 Hornady reloading manuals, a Berger manual, and a Barnes manual, plus I'm a member at loaddata.com), I'm looking for folks with RL experience.

From where I sit, it looks like the 7mm-08 may be my best option - short action cartridge without giving up a lot of velocity, and very widely available in lots of different makes and models (as is the 280 Rem).

I had a 7mm-08 found it was a good deer cartridge but lacked some in penetration on hog head shots. This is why I replaced it with a 308 for more Bullet weight. Overall I did like the gun however with that being said I shot about 50-60 whitetail with it with no problems.

Just not a fan of 270. I already hand load for 308, 45-70, and starting 6.5x55 Swedish, so whichever way I go in 284, I'll be reloading for that as well.

There's nothing wrong with the .284 win. I used to use my uncles as a kid for deer.

Have a think about the 7x64. A great cartridge.
Flat shooting, mild recoil, easy to reload, factory cartridges available, lots of 7mm projectiles available for reloading and hits very hard on medium sized game.

There's nothing wrong with the .284 win. I used to use my uncles as a kid for deer.

The challenge would be finding a lefty. I also like the 7x57, but outside of Sako and Sauer, not sure that anyone chambers either of these for lefties.

Have a think about the 7x64. A great cartridge.
Flat shooting, mild recoil, easy to reload, factory cartridges available, lots of 7mm projectiles available for reloading and hits very hard on medium sized game.

7x64 Brenneke?

I went for years (and years) using .308" bullets for all sporting use, 30-30; 308 win; 30-06; 300 Wby but for the last few years I've been using a Sako 85S 7-08 and a Mauser rebarreled 7x57. Where I hunt elk we are limited to "spikes" unless drawn in the "branch antler lottery". so I know going on the hunt if I'm limited to a smallish elk. In those cases I do not feel undergunned with either of the 7mm's; however, this year I'm developing some lighter bullet loads for a 404 Jeffery, "just because". My preference with bullets leans toward lighter for bore stiffly constructed bullets- presently available bullets being Woodleigh.

I went for years (and years) using .308" bullets for all sporting use, 30-30; 308 win; 30-06; 300 Wby but for the last few years I've been using a Sako 85S 7-08 and a Mauser rebarreled 7x57. Where I hunt elk we are limited to "spikes" unless drawn in the "branch antler lottery". so I know going on the hunt if I'm limited to a smallish elk. In those cases I do not feel undergunned with either of the 7mm's; however, this year I'm developing some lighter bullet loads for a 404 Jeffery, "just because". My preference with bullets leans toward lighter for bore stiffly constructed bullets- presently available bullets being Woodleigh.

404J is a lotta bullet for even an 8x8 Roosevelt elk.

course, my plan is to take an elk, moose, and black bear with my 45-70, so there's that.

You only need two 7mm cartridges 7 x 57 mm or 7 x 64mm. The 7x 64mm gives you a bit more long range capability but is not really needed but is a brilliant cartridge with low recoil.

The equivalent American cartridges are the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem.

I have a Tikka in 7-08 and like it. Shoot 110gr TTSX bullets mostly or 140gr Nosler Partitions.
I had a 7rem mag and changed the barrel out for a 264win mag and like it better. I did kill a number of animals with the 7mag but took a sheep with the 264mag and it works as well with less recoil.
I have a friend with the 280 and it is a great cartridge especially if you hand load. It will almost reach the 7mag but with MUCH less recoil, noise and such. Too bad most factory rounds are down loaded because of the old Rem semi-auto 740 rifles. In a bolt action it is better than a 270...............but so many others are also :)

Well, you can see by my name what I think but, after buying my 7x64 a few weeks back and shooting it I can say it is a fine chambering. Who knows, after I take some game with it, there's a chance of it becoming my new favorite. Hope I never have to decide which is better.:)

I have a 7-08, 280 and a 7mm mag. 08 purchased for teenage kids but I use as well. Mag is my standard use in a tikka, but 08 will kill anything my mag will. Use 140 grains for all animals - deer, antelope, bear, etc. for elk would go with bigger caliber, but could be done. Would hunt any plains game animal with 08. Ammo is avail anywhere. hard to beat for a moderate recoil cartridge.

I really like my stainless .280 Rem. It has become my go to gun for just about everything. I load 140gr and 160gr bullets and come pretty close to Mag velocities.
Until you said lefty I was going to say go that route. However, unless you want to build a custom rifle, maybe not. I'm not sure if anyone is building a LH bolt gun in .280. I would be surprised if they are readily available.
I'm pretty sure you can find a LH rifle in 7-08 though. Loaded with something like 139 gr Hornady GMX or Barnes I bet that would make a pretty sweet little package.

I have a Cooper in 275 Rigby aka 7x57 if you handload it will do fine for plains game. My son took a 7-08 to Namibia and shot game as big as Zebra and Wildebeest all with one shot.

Got my son a 7mm-08 last year for Christmas! It is a tac driver and he likes it. Ruger M77 compact!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg