284 selection

I am a very huge fan of the original - The 7x57 mm Mauser and 170 grain South African PMP soft nosed factory loads .

The 7x57 is hard to beat. I’m loading 175 gr Swift A-Frames for heavier game and 160 gr Speer SPBT for deer, etc.. it always seems to get the job done with no fuss.

The 7x57 is hard to beat. I’m loading 175 gr Swift A-Frames for heavier game and 160 gr Speer SPBT for deer, etc.. it always seems to get the job done with no fuss.
@WAB
Among hand loads , I really like the 175 grain Nosler Partitions . However , I have only heard really good things about Swift’s A Frame soft nosed bullets .

I shoot a lot of partitions in 175gr. I’ve killed at least 30 big game animals with them from a 7x57.

I can report all things you’ve heard about them are true.:

they usually work very well
They kill some animals quickly
They can make huge wound channels
They can have jacket separation issues
They open inconsistently
They can turn in an animal because of how they mushroom on one side

The A-frame and TTSX are superior bullets.

I really like the .284 but only in a SAvage 99, Win. 88 or 100, Browning bLR, that it was designed for otherwise Id take the 7x57, not that its better than the others just that Ive used it so much on most game that Im sold on it if you handload...I don't care for the rebated case of the 284 in bolt actions, they tend over time to fail to pick up the case properly in some cases...so the 270, 280, 7-08, would be a better choice..But if you already have one then whats the point, get after it with that .284..

Ive used most of the 7s, and my favorite is by far the 7x57, if I need more then it won't be a 7 it will be a 338 375 or 416 rem..depending on the target..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you