.280 Remington

My wife used 185 grain gmx bullets hand loaded for her 338 federal T/C Encore on a plains game hunt. She shot a springbok and a red heartabeest. The bullet passed through the springbok and wasn't recovered. Her shot was a little aft but the animal dropped in its tracks. Everything in the body cavity was destroyed. We recovered the bullet in the heartabeest. It was a textbook mushroom. The bullet had 99% retained weight. The animal went about thirty yards and expired. I was very impressed with the gmx and would not hesitate to use in on plains game.

My only complaint is that they don't make heavier bullets for caliber. I have heard that some rifles don't like the gmx. I found it to be very accurate in her rifle. I have tried it in my 30-06 at the range and it shoots well.

Headed on my first plains game hunt in May. Looking to bring my .280 Remington. Im using 154 Grain Hornady GMX bullet. Looking for any input from the seasoned veterans if this is enough gun for like a Kudu,Gemsbok, Waterbuck.
I may bring two rifles, the other rifle is a .300WSM

Thanks in advance

Just noticed this thread. So, how was your hunt?

I used a 7x64 (almost identical to your .280) for plains game last year. Norma factory ammo with the 156 grain Oryx. Gemsbok (2), impala, springbok. Things dropped and never moved. The bullet went through a bull gemsbok at 220 yards. Next PG hunt is 2021, and that will be my caliber again.

Jeff

I used a 7x64 (almost identical to your .280) for plains game last year. Norma factory ammo with the 156 grain Oryx. Gemsbok (2), impala, springbok. Things dropped and never moved. The bullet went through a bull gemsbok at 220 yards. Next PG hunt is 2021, and that will be my caliber again.

Jeff

Great, and congrats on the successful trip. Those animals are high on my 'wish list.'

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife bought me a .280 Rem. for Christmas in 1989, I hand load every thing I own . The .280 from the custom shop with a Kevlar stock, tricked out trigger and a Leopold VXIII . 3.5X10 A.O. is the one to go to most of all. I own a lot of hunting rifles, but the .280 with the 145 LRX is the one for most, one shot one kill. Good luck to Ya'All……and most of all nicely done Joe ……..Michael T.

Great, and congrats on the successful trip. Those animals are high on my 'wish list.'
ILCAPO
Stop wishing mate, grab you Whelan 50 rounds of 225grain accubonds and go mate before it's to late. Judging by all the posts and my own experience it is something you will never regret. Don't say one day, make it soon before it's to late and that one day is gone.
Cheers mate
Bob

ILCAPO
Stop wishing mate, grab you Whelan 50 rounds of 225grain accubonds and go mate before it's to late. Judging by all the posts and my own experience it is something you will never regret. Don't say one day, make it soon before it's to late and that one day is gone.
Cheers mate
Bob

Oh, it's not a "one day" thing. You're right. Stated that way without a goal it isn't likely to happen. Not ready yet, because of the costs. But it's something I'm planning for. My wife's mother and my own are well into their 80s, so vacations these days are with them. We're in Virginia, my mom is in Chicago and wife's mom is Italy (north of Milan). I've been researching things, costing it out, and setting up the savings plan for this, as it will be far more than just a hunting trip for me. This trip will need to incorporate a photo safari to one of the national parks -- I'm thinking Kruger -- as well as some other tourism. A friend tells me we need to see the cape. Being on the opposite ends of the country and quite a distance, it's a lot to take in and prepare.

Have you done more than hunting there?

Oh, it's not a "one day" thing. You're right. Stated that way without a goal it isn't likely to happen. Not ready yet, because of the costs. But it's something I'm planning for. My wife's mother and my own are well into their 80s, so vacations these days are with them. We're in Virginia, my mom is in Chicago and wife's mom is Italy (north of Milan). I've been researching things, costing it out, and setting up the savings plan for this, as it will be far more than just a hunting trip for me. This trip will need to incorporate a photo safari to one of the national parks -- I'm thinking Kruger -- as well as some other tourism. A friend tells me we need to see the cape. Being on the opposite ends of the country and quite a distance, it's a lot to take in and prepare.

Have you done more than hunting there?
ILCAPO
We did Etosha national park. 300 yards to walk to a waterhole. You sit about 50yards from it behind a stone fence. The animals that came in was unbelievable. The first night we were privileged to watch both black and white rhinos and calves, giraffe and elephant at the waterhole. Day time was even better . You could even do a self drive photographic tour of the park. Mate I wish you all the best in you planning. If you are hunting Namibia check out Osombahe Nord safaris and their Facebook page hunting with Harald and friends. They give prices in $ US and Australian as well as euro.
Planning is half the fun of realizing your dreams
Cheers mate
Bob
20200117_111310.jpg

ILCAPO
Some photos from Etosha. It was in drought at the time so I can only imagine what it would be like in good times
IMG_20190913_070527.jpg
.The kudu we shot, I'm in the middle with my 52inch from the Kalahari region. The other 2 are 55 inch and 58 inches from a different property. I was more than happy with mine. The other photos were taken with my phone at Etosha.
IMG_20190914_135333.jpg
IMG_20190914_121528.jpg
IMG_20190914_102137.jpg
IMG_20190914_085658.jpg

Shot some pretty large wild boar and red deer with a 7x64 so don't see why it wouldn't work with a 280 Remn on plains game. Something like the GMX or the Accubond should do you fine I would have thought for a bullet.

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg