275 Rigby versus 7x57 ammunition

The Courteney, as I had originally planned it, was supposed to come in .303 British, 7x57, and .30-06. After a few back-and-forths with the factory, though, I was told that it could only be chambered in rimmed cartridges, without some substantial re-engineering.

Such re-engineering would have driven up the cost of the rifle considerably, and/or made the minimum order quantities way too high for projected demand-per-caliber. I had to therefore spike the idea of offering it in 7x57 and .30-06. And 7x57R is just too obscure to most Americans so I discarded that idea too after some consideration. My passion for rifles had to be tempered by lowly commercial considerations!

The amounts of orders we received after the .303 version was introduced were much higher than expected, which is a contributing factor (together with widespread supply-chain problems) for why they are so hard to find. In 2021 I also expanded the offering to the .45-70, of which they produced even fewer (even I as the designer/manager haven't seen one yet!).

@Red Leg - I have several hundreds on order and slowly but surely Uberti is filling the pipeline. They are, however, still quite backed up--something that is true of most gun-related products in this bizarre time.

Incidentally, as soon as the factory catches its breath, I will submit to them a new quarter rib designed to accept Talley rings, at first as an accessory, then if costs look reasonable, as the default rib on the Courteney. The Weaver design it has now, although perfectly functional, was a compromise that I green-lighted only in the interest of time, but a compromise nonetheless.

In the meantime, keep your eyes on the Chapuis line (the other line I manage) for something super-cool and super-African for 2022!
When someone - anyone - can make a .303 or 7x57R with the quarter rib design you describe, I'll place the order that day. To you directly if it will guarantee delivery. :A Way To Go:

Reactions: V42
I would think most the people on this forum are big fans of "obscure" cartridges. The 7x57R is a great cartridge for a single shot rifle. My wife has a Merkel K1 in 7x57R and my Krieghoff drilling has a 7x57R rifle barrel.

Safe shooting.

I would think most the people on this forum are big fans of "obscure" cartridges. The 7x57R is a great cartridge for a single shot rifle. My wife has a Merkel K1 in 7x57R and my Krieghoff drilling has a 7x57R rifle barrel.

Safe shooting.
How do y’all like the K1?

Love it. Clara has killed a lot of game with it. I gave it to her for Christmas in 2008 and after the initial zero, it has been disassembled and reassembled for travel and storage 100's of times and still returns to zero. I have a K3 in 30-06 that is basically the same.

Safe shooting.

It will be announced, but not shown, at SHOT. At the time I only have 1 sample and I am reluctant to make it inoperable and having it potentially scratched. But I have several on order and I am very happy about how it came out!
Since the Beretta family of companies didn't attend SHOT this year, did you ever announce "the super cool and super African for 2022" release from Chapuis?

@Tom Leoni , @WAB or @Red Leg A couple of questions for any of the three of you to answer. I was not aware of the Courteney Stalking rifle until reading this thread. I did a search on the Uberti site among others to read up on the modern reproduction. I have owned a Ruger 1H before, so am familiar with them, but never heard of the Courteney from the late 1800s. With there being such demand for the Uberti reproduction, why do you think that is? Obviously two of you are already wanting to make changes to the current quarter rib, so I guess you are ready to buy once they become available. The last questions are, if a reproduction is in such demand, what is an original in good condition worth? And were there multiple thousands made or a few hundred.

@Tom Leoni , @WAB or @Red Leg A couple of questions for any of the three of you to answer. I was not aware of the Courteney Stalking rifle until reading this thread. I did a search on the Uberti site among others to read up on the modern reproduction. I have owned a Ruger 1H before, so am familiar with them, but never heard of the Courteney from the late 1800s. With there being such demand for the Uberti reproduction, why do you think that is? Obviously two of you are already wanting to make changes to the current quarter rib, so I guess you are ready to buy once they become available. The last questions are, if a reproduction is in such demand, what is an original in good condition worth? And were there multiple thousands made or a few hundred.
As far as I am aware, it isn’t a reproduction. It is a modern interpretation of a late 19th early 20th century English single shot rather than a copy of any particular rifle or model.

As far as I am aware, it isn’t a reproduction. It is a modern interpretation of a late 19th early 20th century English single shot rather than a copy of any particular rifle or model.
Thanks, as usual, learning something new.

Yep-- @Red Leg is correct. @jpr9954 - the new Chapuis offering is the Iphisi double rifle chambered in .375 H&H.
Just get us a classic rib option rolling with Talley cut outs. ;) You can have them send me an invoice that afternoon!

The Uberti factory is updating the rib--doing away with the Weaver slots and having Talley ones instead, with a clean profile. I'm not sure about the timeline yet, but this rib will be available as an accessory as well as be the default one on new Courteneys.

The new Chapuis Iphisi also takes Talley rings.

I've got a Mark X (one from Manchester, England) in 7x57 Mauser and It's my favorite rifle...160 grain Sierra with a stiff dose of 4350 and it's just as nice a rifle as ever came down the road. I shoot a 25-06 with a 100 grain and 4831SC about as much but I think the 7mm with a Barnes 120 grain and again with lots of 4350 is just hard to beat. I'd always heard the 7x57 was the same as the .275 Rigby.

I've got a Mark X (one from Manchester, England) in 7x57 Mauser and It's my favorite rifle...160 grain Sierra with a stiff dose of 4350 and it's just as nice a rifle as ever came down the road. I shoot a 25-06 with a 100 grain and 4831SC about as much but I think the 7mm with a Barnes 120 grain and again with lots of 4350 is just hard to beat. I'd always heard the 7x57 was the same as the .275 Rigby.
7x57, 7mm Mauser and 275 Rigby are the same.

Lance Hendershot at Hendershots Sporting Goods https://hendershots.net/ loads my head stamped .275 ammunition that I use in Africa (170 gr Oryx). Stateside, just use 7x57. I should note the 170 gr load is sub-MOA accurate in my Rigby.
Red Leg, when you were having your Rigby Highland Stalker made … Did you specify that you wanted it to fire the heavier bullets accurately ? I’ve seen two Rigby Highland Stalker rifles (in .275 Rigby) which don’t group well with RWS Brenneke TIG 177Gr soft points. But they achieve sub MOA groups with 140Gr bullets.

Red Leg, when you were having your Rigby Highland Stalker made … Did you specify that you wanted it to fire the heavier bullets accurately ? I’ve seen two Rigby Highland Stalker rifles (in .275 Rigby) which don’t group well with RWS Brenneke TIG 177Gr soft points. But they achieve sub MOA groups with 140Gr bullets.
Yes, the only "custom" option I ordered was a slightly extended chamber to better accommodate 170 gr class bullets. The twist is the same.

The rifle shoots both the 156 and 170 gr Oryx extremely well. This is the 170 gr Hendershot load at 100 meters.

New Rigby and 170 gr Oryx

Does anyone know the difference from CIP and SAAMI specs?
CIP max pressure is 56 565 psi, and SAAMI is 51 000 psi.
In regards to load data

Thinking of having a barrel chambered for a rifle i have..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg