CrippledEagle

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Africa, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Belize, S. America, Spain, Europe
I have one box of 50 for anyone wanting to make the 270 a serious big game gun. These are limited production and I was told Nosler only makes a small run about every other year. I will sell them for $65 plus shipping, which is what I saw them sell for last year from another individual. Nosler and Optics Planet has them listed for $82, Midway has them listed for $75 but the price will certainly go up with the next production run, so this price I think is very fair.

.277 Nosler Partition 160gr. Box of 50 $65 plus shipping.

Tell me what you know about what you call the "Old Style" bullets Ray.

Last edited:
Attached photo shows an old and a new style Partition. the old style has a relief band at the location of the partition while the new style does not- among other differences, but that is the most noticeable.

DSC_2623 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, you are showing me bullets that were turned on a lathe OVER 60 YEARS AGO. MAGNIFY YOUR PICTURE and you will see the screw machine marks!! That is how John originally made them. They were also made out of a lighter guilding metal that was somewhat harder than the metal used in the impact extrusion process that Nosler started using in 1970, and did not groove as well in the lands of high velocity rifles, therefore not as accurate. Since then all NPs have been made with the impact extrusion process John started with the zipedo bullet in the mid 60's and moved to the partition line in 1970. If you are looking for collectors items you will find them in the lobby in Bend. I have watched you repeat this query on several threads. I hope you find some, but you seem to be discrediting any modern Nosler bullet by inference. and I want to set the record straight for those who don't know. Incidentally, the 160gr was never made with the antiquated process. Those bullets would have to cost $100 apiece to make today. BTW, I started working for Nosler in 1972 and retired in 1993. John was a good friend. I just talked to Bob a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
So are the old or new ones better? Or about the same?

The "newer" (since 1970) bullets are usually somewhat more accurate because of the softer guilding metal but perform the same. They kill!

1676666258525.png

Two 375 bullets of the same weight showing a better ballistic coefficient in the new (top) one which theoretically shoots a bit better. Both perform the same. The front portion expands to double caliber while the rear maintains the mass for deep penetration. Nothing performs as well on game as the proven Nosler Partition.

So are the old or new ones better? Or about the same?
Well as the OP states not made since the 70's & would cost $$$ to make now so a Mute point !

I had a box of .270 150gr old style from one of my buddies Dads & loaded them up, if I want a dead Deer every time I shot it with one of them is all I can say lol !

I also have a heap of 170gr Speers that are deadly & supper accurate in one of my rifles.

I think the NP shines on lighter thin skin game & kills very well on them, great Deer Bullet !

Good luck with the sale & fairly priced I would say ?

Here's a picture from an old ISA brochure with a 46 inch sable I shot with my little 270 with a 160gr NPB out of the same batch.

20230217_155300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow nice Sable, back then very hard to find a Bull that big I would say ?

I myself wouldn't start a hunt for a Sable Bull like that with a .270 Win but it did the job !

Oddly enough, I was out to shoot an impala for camp meat that afternoon when we saw that gigantic sable. There were two of them, almost the same size. I think I shot the biggest one but was never sure. I knew Jack O'Connor from the industry and was young and easily infatuated by the lore of the 270 Win.. My first safari was with a pair of Pre-64 M70's in 375 and 270. I later had them both custom stocked in Circassian walnut by Nelson Forsythe. I still have the pair. I shot lots of game with that 270, including a big warthog on a sandbar on the opposite side across the Umniati River. That was 1973.

Arr back when the .270Win was on a High, it will work but there are a lot better calibers for Africa, you had a great pair of rifles & that is a huge Sable at any time, absolute monster in 1973.

It was in Zimbabwe, I would of thought Zambia but back then there were some very nice Sable in Zim ?

Thank you.

It was in the Matusadona in Rhodesia in the early part of the Bush War. You are right about the Robert Roark theory (Use Enough Gun). After that my battery was the 375 and a great old 300HH that I eventually shot the barrel out of and replaced it with a 30-338 Douglas barrel long throated to allow the 200gr. Nosler Partition to be seated out and get near 300 Weatherby velocities. That old M70 300HH was a throat eroding, case stretching pain in the ass! I still have that M70 30-338 LT with a Douglas barrel in a McMillan fiberglass stock. Perfect long range rifle, if you know what I mean. My serious hunting days are about over and I am thinking about selling some of those firesticks.

Of course it was still Rhodesia then, slipped my mind that, you must of had some interesting times there back then ?

Those 200gr are just the thing in the .30 Magnums & hot loaded 30/06 to really !

Pity I'm so far away as a big bore Pre 64 would be great to have in the truck.

Thank you for the interesting replies @CrippledEagle, appreciated.

Ray, you are showing me bullets that were turned on a lathe OVER 60 YEARS AGO. MAGNIFY YOUR PICTURE and you will see the screw machine marks!! That is how John originally made them. They were also made out of a lighter guilding metal that was somewhat harder than the metal used in the impact extrusion process that Nosler started using in 1970, and did not groove as well in the lands of high velocity rifles, therefore not as accurate. Since then all NPs have been made with the impact extrusion process John started with the zipedo bullet in the mid 60's and moved to the partition line in 1970. If you are looking for collectors items you will find them in the lobby in Bend. I have watched you repeat this query on several threads. I hope you find some, but you seem to be discrediting any modern Nosler bullet by inference. and I want to set the record straight for those who don't know. Incidentally, the 160gr was never made with the antiquated process. Those bullets would have to cost $100 apiece to make today. BTW, I started working for Nosler in 1972 and retired in 1993. John was a good friend. I just talked to Bob a few weeks ago.
Thank you for this informations, I'm not directly focused in purchasing your bullets, but sure I like to learn (y)

Since not that many shooters on here are .277 fans I'm gonna lower the price on this incredible game killer to $50. If no one wants them I will put them on another shooter's forum for $75. I love Africanhunting.com.

Top bloke & deal, I'm not a .270 fan but it has never let me down with 150gr -170gr slugs & id be grabbing these if I was in the US !!

Top bloke & deal, I'm not a .270 fan but it has never let me down with 150gr -170gr slugs & id be grabbing these if I was in the US !!
Thanks Sarg. Since these are almost unobtainable I thought someone would jump on them at this price. This makes the 270 Win, 270 Wby, 6.8 Westerner, 27 Nosler, 277 Fury, etc into a real hunting rifle. They work. They kill.

Are these still available? My son just got a great deal on a 270, thinking these would be the right round for elk. His twist is 1:9.5 (I believe), would that be enough to stabilize these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.