.256 Mannlicher by George Gibbs

Lovely rifle!
This is a fine example of the Mannlicher rifle.
It is the 6.5x54 Rimmed . The very same one Bell used to good effect on Elephants. The later 6.5x54 MS was not rimmed and was made to fit in the Shoenhauer rotary magazine hence the name Manlicher Shoenhauer circa 1903. Little known fact is that Holland developed the first rimmed case the .400/375 which was made on MS rifles. This was due to the cosy deal JohnRigby had with his close friend Paul Mauser. There also exists the .375 ex and .375 veloplex all predating the famous .375 HH.
I only need the veloplex to complete my British Mannlicher collection.
I have fine examples by James Woodward,Holland Westley Richards and William Evans. This are great little collectibles that won’t break the bank!
John Rigby and Paul Mauser were such good friends they were responsible for developing the 303 Lee Enfield and 8x57 Mauser . Managed to kill millions between them .

The 9.5x 57 ( 375) cartridge was different and used on Mannlicher Schonaeur rifles . For what it is worth this cartridge fired through the very light MS rifles is possibly the most unpleasant rifle I have ever fired . Prefer to shoot a 600NE any day .

My M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer Take Down Model never hurt me (much). Just hold tight to the shoulder.

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer 02 b.jpg

They were truly designed for the stalking hunt. Carry much, shoot little.

I like it that she's 'punchy', her 'pointability' and smoothness of action are unsurpassed.

The
My M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer Take Down Model never hurt me (much). Just hold tight to the shoulder.

View attachment 583027

They were truly designed for the stalking hunt. Carry much, shoot little.

I like it that she's 'punchy', her 'pointability' and smoothness of action are unsurpassed.
one I shot had 20 inch barrels . It has been restocked . No heavier but much better to shoot . My 318 WR shooting 250 grain pills is a much nicer rifle to shoot and has plenty of punch .

very nice rifles ive got a few in 6.5x53 and one 6.5x57 2 Gibbs and 1 army navy

Those are restocked?
Very nice looking indeed.

Fellow collectors and shooters of classic firearms,

The rifles shown in this thread are time machines and I love seeing them, one and all.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Fellow collectors and shooters of classic firearms,

The rifles shown in this thread are time machines and I love seeing them, one and all.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I know I've posted it several times before, but here's 'Johnny's Cat'; my grandfather with his (my) M1910 Take Down Model on shikar, ca. 1932.

Johnny's Cat 001.jpg

JFE Ceylon Hunt 00 Goodyear Wingfoot 001 (3).jpg

From _Wingfoot,_ Goodyear Tire and Rubber's newsletter.

JFE Ceylon Hunt 0132 Buffalo 01 Front 001 (4).jpg

Captioned on back: _My buffalo Maha Wewa Tank Jan. 20, 1932._

I know I've posted it several times before, but here's 'Johnny's Cat'; my grandfather with his (my) M1910 Take Down Model on shikar, ca. 1932.

View attachment 583639

View attachment 583637
From _Wingfoot,_ Goodyear Tire and Rubber's newsletter.

View attachment 583638
Captioned on back: _My buffalo Maha Wewa Tank Jan. 20, 1932._
Looks like he bagged a nice Buffalo there, any info on the projectiles he used & what country was that shot in, I didn't think that Ceylon had Wild Buffalo ?

Have you shot any thin nice with that rifle ?

I have been working up loads for the .375EX 2.5in in a early Mannlicher & Lee Speed, I have a hunt lined up for a Feral Bull (or big horned cow if I can't find a Bull) of Highland Cattle lineage, I think a 270gr Hornady or Woodleigh in the lungs will do the job, if I was chasing Buffalo id be looking for a 320gr bullet.

PS when I say Wild Buffalo in Ceylon, I mean back in the day, I think there are Feral herds now days in Sri lanka ?

PPS just checked & there may have been or still is the Wild Blood line there, I wonder what he got, do you have more photos of the Water Buff ?

Last edited:
Looks like he bagged a nice Buffalo there, any info on the projectiles he used & what country was that shot in, I didn't think that Ceylon had Wild Buffalo ?

Have you shot any thin nice with that rifle ?

I have been working up loads for the .375EX 2.5in in a early Mannlicher & Lee Speed, I have a hunt lined up for a Feral Bull (or big horned cow if I can't find a Bull) of Highland Cattle lineage, I think a 270gr Hornady or Woodleigh in the lungs will do the job, if I was chasing Buffalo id be looking for a 320gr bullet.

PS when I say Wild Buffalo in Ceylon, I mean back in the day, I think there are Feral herds now days in Sri lanka ?

PPS just checked & there may have been or still is the Wild Blood line there, I wonder what he got, do you have more photos of the Water Buff ?

I'll have to post a more complete reply at another time.

Another member provided me with some details of the hunt that were published in a Bengali book, much to my surprise. I'll have to look up the posts.

I do have other photos of the hunt. The rifle is a M1910 Take Down Model with fitted case.

Maha Wewa as defined by South Asia Partnership Sri Lanka:

i .Maha wewa (plural = wew )=(Large Tank/s)

It is rather a loosely used term to mean any large tank in an ellangava. There is no clear cut definition of a maha vewa. In the irrigation parlance, all tanks irrigating more than 200 acres are called medium tanks and the very large ones are called ‘reservoirs’. In traditional or purana (old) villages, a tank besides which there is a settlement was always referred to as Maha wewa or game maha wewa

Under colonial British rule (1802 - 1948) and afterward until 1972 Sri Lanka was known as Ceylon.

The M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer uses these:

MS Eley Drawing 9.5X57.jpg

...any info on the projectiles he used...

There were DWM 531 cartridges in the case when the rifle came into my possession.

MS Proprietary Cartridges.jpg

1939 Stoeger Catalog, Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) numbers on images.

MS 9.5X57 Reeds, Mine, DWM531, Mine Fired.jpg

Third from left is DWM531.
Left to right; New cartridge from Reed's of Oklahoma, one of my old handloads (unfired) from .35 Whelen formed through RCBS dies then cut to length and stuffed with Hornady #3715, original DWM 531, fired case from old handload.

Projectiles for DWM 531 were .375 RN with nickel alloy jacket and soft lead nose.

MS Ballistics M1910 04.jpg

MS Ballistics M1910 05.jpg

MS Ballistics M1910 06.jpg

MS Ballistics M1910 07.jpg

MS Ballistics M1910 08.jpg

MS Ballistics Stoeger 1939.jpg

MS ICI 01 B.jpg

Vintage ICI (Kynoch) ad

MS Kynock 9.5x57.jpg

Modern equivalent (when they can be found).

Attachments

• MS Kynock 9.5x57.jpg
    MS Kynock 9.5x57.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 13
Interesting thing about the Kynoch: I see the ad says "45 grains of smokeless powder." I had some Kynochs (ICI), made in I think the '50s. They were clearly marked as "non-corrosive". I was getting split cases, so I stopped using them. I pulled the bullets, thinking I would make some snap caps, or maybe a cartridge display... only to find out they were loaded with cordite.

As an aside, it's a lot of fun to burn cordite. I had to get rid of it somehow...

Looks like he bagged a nice Buffalo there,

'IIRC', the Buffalo may not have actually been 'his'.

I'll have to find the post, but another member shared some details of the hunt that had been published in a Bengali book that, if I do remember correctly, attributed the buff to Grand Dad's guide and to the double rifle held by him to Johnny's right in leopard photo for which cartridges can be seen on Johnny's belt in buffalo pic.

Here is guide with buff:
JFE Ceylon Hunt 0132 Buffalo 02 Front 001 (2).jpg

Still, however, features M1910 TD Mannlicher Schoenauer prominently.

Notice, also, that the 'Brit' (.375 Nitro Express) load has two grains less powder.

From what I've read, supposition holds that the Brit load was for hot African climates while the DWM load was for 'Continental' hunts.

I think the 375 Flanged 2.5 inch case in the photo is the 303/ 375 cartridge used on Lee Speed sporting rifles . Based on the rimmed 303 cartridge . The 9.5x 57 ( 375) cartridge was different and used on Mannlicher Schonaeur rifles . For what it is worth this cartridge fired through the very light MS rifles is possibly the most unpleasant rifle I have ever fired . Prefer to shoot a 600NE any day .
I'm still looking for one, got a 9x56ms, it likes 250gr bullets and it is a little stout also.

I'm still looking for one, got a 9x56ms, it likes 250gr bullets and it is a little stout also.
The M1905 is said to be scarcest of the MS proprietary chamberings.

I wouldn't mind having a stutzen 'Sequoia' (.30-'06) to snuggle up to my cased M1910 Take Down Model.

The

one I shot had 20 inch barrels . It has been restocked . No heavier but much better to shoot . My 318 WR shooting 250 grain pills is a much nicer rifle to shoot and has plenty of punch .

Whatever floats your boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarshaBott

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.