.22 Ammunition Sure Has Come Down!

I've had excellent results from CCI 22LR 40gr subsonic, both RN and HP.
5 shots covered with a dime at 50 yards from a Ruger American Rimfire with a suppressor.
Accurate and wicked quiet.

Me too. CCI Standard has been good entry-level training ammo. I shot a lot of it with my Anschutz 1913 when it was difficult at times to get Eley Club in the US. It was accurate, consistently sub MOA, clean and it was reasonably priced, but it was at a significantly higher price point (~$0.10/round) than plinking ammo (~$0.05/round).

HOWEVER, (Thank You BeeMaa for prompting the check!) a quick Google search shows that its price has apparently dropped considerably and it is currently at almost the same price (~$0.06/round) as the Thunderbolt (~$0.05/round). Now, THAT is fascinating !!!!

I have never shot it at 150 yd but there is no reason why it should not remain around 1 MOA or so, i.e. a heck of a lot better than the Thunderbolt. At 1,070 fps its trajectory will be dropping even more than the Thunderbolt (1,255 fps) but that's OK out to 150 yd or so. The software predicts another 2 MOA of drop:
Thunderbolt - 1,255 fps: +6" @ 50 yd / +7" @ 100 yd / zero @ 150 yd.
CCI Standard - 1,070 fps: +8" @ 50 yd / + 9" @ 100 yd / zero @ 150 yd

Wind will be even more a factor too than with the Thunderbolt at 150 yd, but that is good practice too.

I am going to try it at 150 yd and if it groups around 1.5" at 150 yd (i.e. 1 MOA) for the same price the Thunderbolt sprays 4 MOA, I am going to stock 10,000 of them while the price is that good...

Last edited:
Managing head shots on squirrels and raccoon at ranges of 20-80 yards from sticks.
The CCI HP's are perfect for this and parking one in the brain pan makes tracking them down much easier.

I checked out the Anschutz rifles as I was not familiar with them.
From what I've seen, they are the cream of the rimfire rifle crop and used extensively in competition.
Pretty sweet, although my tastes run a little more toward the "sporting" models.

Managing head shots on squirrels and raccoon at ranges of 20-80 yards from sticks.
The CCI HP's are perfect for this and parking one in the brain pan makes tracking them down much easier.

I checked out the Anschutz rifles as I was not familiar with them.
From what I've seen, they are the cream of the rimfire rifle crop and used extensively in competition.
Pretty sweet, although my tastes run a little more toward the "sporting" models.

If you want cream of the crop check of the voodoo 22s. That my friend is cream of the crop.

If you want cream of the crop check of the voodoo 22s. That my friend is cream of the crop.
A whole world I never knew of.
Thanks.

I don't know if the CMP still has any available but a number of years ago I bought two Kimber 22(s) from them for $400 each. Uncle Sam bought 20,000 of them for use as training rifles but never did. Hence they were unfired. The accuracy requirement was International X ring at 50 meters. Both of mine shoot well under that. I was told by a three position Small Bore Shooter that the Iron sights that came with the rifles were worth over $300 all by themselves.

So, today I checked a new batch of .22 Thunderbolt, this time in my Anschutz 1418.

Same story as previous batches:

Anschutz 1418 & Thunderbolt @ 100 yd.jpg

Anschutz 1418 with 20 rounds of Thunderbolt .22 lr at 100 yd. The ammo barely groups 4 MOA but this is enough to practice ringing a 6" steel plate off the sticks out to 150 yd

I wish someone started selling loaded .22 Savage Hi Power ammunition again. Norma and Sellier and Bellot both discontinued them :(

Remember after the 2008 election how .22 ammo in particular just went through the roof on price and became almost unobtanium? At the worst of it, ammo was 10 cents per round, if you could find it.

Well, the pendulum has swung...

About a year ago I added 10,000 rounds to my stash when the price hit $200/5,000 rounds (4 cents per round).

Well, I just added another 10,000 rounds today. Bud's has plinking ammo (Remington Thunderbolt) for 2.4 cents per round!

I cannot imagine prices going much if any lower (this has to be about cost after you factor in packaging and transportation to the vendor).

My grandkids are going to love me....Gramps will be a giant 22 ammo vending machine!

Heck of a deal!

When I was a kid I'd buy Winchester Wildcat by the brick (500 rounds) for $5.00 (a penny a piece) at the local hardware store. That was 40 or so years ago. To find Remington Thunderbolt for 2.4 cents, per, in 2019? Heck of a deal!!!

Don't know if the sale is still on but Champions Choice was selling RWS Target Rifle ammo for $2.50 a box for a case lot, I got a case delivered to my door for something like $288.00 total. In the local shops it's bringing $7.00 per box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross