22-250 for monkey, baboon and small cat

No she is not!

However I did make the mistake with all thectalk of drillings.... Pulled out my 16x70, with 22 Hornet insert in the right barrel, over 7x65R.... Put some targets up on that woodchuck shed and we both plinked away a bit.. Gina loves it and claimed it!

So I'm on the lookout for another;)
@ActionBob

No she is not!

However I did make the mistake with all thectalk of drillings.... Pulled out my 16x70, with 22 Hornet insert in the right barrel, over 7x65R.... Put some targets up on that woodchuck shed and we both plinked away a bit.. Gina loves it and claimed it!

@ActionBob
The way Gina is claiming your rifles just give them all to her and get some new ones fer yourself.
You seem to have forgotten rule 1 in a good marriage.
What's hers is hers and what's yours is hers.
It's a bit like heads I win tails you lose in a coin toss.
Bob

No she is not!

Not sure it was a “mistake”. I quite fancy this gun! And after all, I do let you use my .404 Jeff whenever you want :E Angel:

I would image that a 6.5x57mmm/12ga combo would be a perfect compromise.
One could load a 140gr round nosed solid for the smaller ones and use the 12ga for many of the smaller duikers and night critters.
The 6.5mm will not leave you under gunned if you run into a bushbuck, nyala, bushpig etc. While shuffling around in the thick brush.

Having an o/u bergstutzen in 7x57R/9.3x74R with a extra set of barrels in 6.5x57R/12ga would be a African pg dream rifle set
It's not that I disagree with you, it's just that I don't have the money for a multi-barrel/multi caliber rifle/shotgun combination. I have seen you mention this at least a few times, and I understand that you are a fan, but that's just not in the cards lol.

Good morning all!

I recently picked up a 22-250 just because I've always found it to be an interesting caliber and one came available at the store my wife works at. She called me, and it was mine before the sun set! I took it to the range and after I saw the accuracy (It's Tikka T3x 1/14 twist and I was shooting 55 grain FB tipped Nosler Varmageddons through the same hole at 100 yards, just making it slightly bigger each time, but never larger than a quarter) my mind started wondering "Now that you have this and can shoot it very well, can I take it to Africa?". I contacted my PH and he said it would make a hum-dinger for monkey, baboon and small cat. So, my question for you all is: Do you know of any factory ammo that wouldn't hurt the pelt on these types of animals too badly? Should I be looking for any specific type of bullet, such as ballistic tipped, FB, hollow point, FMJ, etc? Any info would be appreciated, and thank you for your help!
You can but there will be absolutely nothing left of those small animals. Anything else is bad advice. Sorry.
Do like I did and shoot Barnes 5.56 70g TSX for small game in Africa. It has plenty of power and accuracy for animals up to Springbuck yet will take a monkey without blowing it away.
Regards,
Philip

Well this makes me sad, seems like I already have the perfect gun and lack the excuse to get a new one. But great input and advice.
You need no excuse to get another gun! Just saying…

With the new, tight twist .22's storming the market (eg .22 Creedmoor) capable of shooting 75-95 grain bullets, I am starting to see quite a few older, 1:14 twist 22-250's for sale. Take yours to Africa, and say hello to some baboons. No worries regarding taxidermy..........FWB

You need no excuse to get another gun! Just saying…

Feel like saying I need a duiker gun, is pretty much on par with I need no excuse.

Considering the options range from 375 with solids, 30-06, drillings, combination guns and shotguns...seems like I have been buying duiker guns my whole life, lol.

Not sure it was a “mistake”. I quite fancy this gun! And after all, I do let you use my .404 Jeff whenever you want :E Angel:
@Just Gina
Your generosity is only exceeded by your good looks. He is lucky he gets to use the 404 but I hope you make @Action Bob buy his own ammo for it.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I’ve shot a bunch of fox and coyote with the 22-250. Good for coyotes not so good for fox. If you do it definitely give the barns a try. But it isn’t the bullet as much as velocity at impact. The 22-250 is very accurate so again if you want to give it a try don’t aim for the shoulder aim a little bit back so you don’t hit major bones. It will either go really good or really bad just depends on where it is hit. I think it would be lightning on impala, springbok, and blesbuk.

Monkey's scare me. I'd want a full auto Thompson .45 caliber sub machine gun loaded with hollow points.

EKwKZnH.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The .22-250 is an excellent round, just not for what you’re thinking about. Velocities are just too high for much beyond varmints and target work. I tried it with Barnes TTSX for pronghorn here in the US. It worked, but the varmint barrel at 1:14 would barely stabilize the bullet and the results on the critter weren’t all that impressive. There are many better choices for that purpose.

28 Nosler 180gr Berger going 3090fps, speed kills.View attachment 476387
I would lock that caliber up and only allow out for moose, bears and elk. Shame what they do to the small stuff like your bobcat. Problem I find is targets of opportunity, moose hunting and wolf, coyote or maybe wolverine presents? Then what?

That's some sewing for the taxidermist.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!