22-250 for monkey, baboon and small cat

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Good morning all!

I recently picked up a 22-250 just because I've always found it to be an interesting caliber and one came available at the store my wife works at. She called me, and it was mine before the sun set! I took it to the range and after I saw the accuracy (It's Tikka T3x 1/14 twist and I was shooting 55 grain FB tipped Nosler Varmageddons through the same hole at 100 yards, just making it slightly bigger each time, but never larger than a quarter) my mind started wondering "Now that you have this and can shoot it very well, can I take it to Africa?". I contacted my PH and he said it would make a hum-dinger for monkey, baboon and small cat. So, my question for you all is: Do you know of any factory ammo that wouldn't hurt the pelt on these types of animals too badly? Should I be looking for any specific type of bullet, such as ballistic tipped, FB, hollow point, FMJ, etc? Any info would be appreciated, and thank you for your help!

I'd try a Barnes bullet , but I know that can cause some damage sometimes if you hit bones, maybe some guys from Australia will chime in with the stuff they shoot fox with . 22. 250 should be the cats meow for the animals listed

Yea.... NO. You will just have a splatter left. Even a fmj at the speed will likely do real damage if it tumbles.

22 hornet is the cats meow.... at range

Better still is a 22 LR close up, even a 22 magnum. And a shotgun works gear also.

Last edited:
What @ActionBob said. A 22-250 would cut a small cat in half. Most shots are well under 100 yards. Even a FMJ is likely to do catastrophic damage. A solid from a .22 Hornet is hard to beat in that role.

........I contacted my PH and he said it would make a hum-dinger for monkey, baboon and small cat. ..........
It may be a hum dinger but as my AH colleagues have said, not the first choice.
If you want to hear a repeat of the quote of my Namibian PH after he saw the Jackal hit with .270 130 grain TTSX: "No Taxidermy".

Have fun with your newest toy. It sounds like you are enjoying it.

I can’t answer for 22-250, but I shoot 55 gr Barnes TSX bullets in my 223. Usually exit holes on groundhogs are about the size of a silver dollar. I’d expect with 600 fps faster the exit hole would be significantly larger. These 55 gr Barnes bullets actually do more damage on groundhogs than 180 or 250 gr Barnes bullets do the few occasions I’ve used something besides my 223.

The likely result with a high speed varmint round. This was shot with a .17 Fireball, 25 grain bullet at 3811 fps.
P1000282.JPG

I have a 22-250 - a great calibre - but I'm not aware of a bullet which will avoid the type of damage others have suggested will result from its use on small game. In fact, vaporizing smaller creatures is what this calibre excels at. On larger game such as the impala you mentioned, my guess - and it's only guess - is that you'd have a lot of damage but not much penetration.

I've tended towards using larger, slower calibres on the smallest game. Having said that, I once shot a Salt's dik-dik with a 300 win mag - because that was the only rifle I had with me - and the poor thing was not only cut in half, but most of the rear half was in pieces.

You could try to avoid hitting any bone (not easy on a small animal) since that would "minimize" the damage . . . but I would use something with much less velocity . . .

With a .22-250, I have shot a Tsessebe, Red Lechwe, Common Reedbuck, and a few warthogs, I connot remember the exact bullet used, except that it was 55 grs. it was provided by my Outfitter.

All were one shot kills, behind the shoulder, double lung, no excessive damage .

If you are seriously looking for a small animal cats duikers etc. You need to invest in a combination gun. High velocity cartridges are a nono....unless you plan on scull mounts only and obviously dont shoot it in the head. For Africa a 12ga 2 3/4 is the shottie makes most sense.

.22/12ga
.22 Hornet/12ga(perfect)
6.5×57R/12ga
7x57R/12ga

It need not be a fancy rifle as cheaper well made ones are readily availible....
Distances are going to be very close on any night critters except maybe jackal but most will let you shoit your fill of those jo matter the distance

With a .22-250, I have shot a Tsessebe, Red Lechwe, Common Reedbuck, and a few warthogs, I connot remember the exact bullet used, except that it was 55 grs. it was provided by my Outfitter.

All were one shot kills, behind the shoulder, double lung, no excessive damage .
Try the same for large or small spotted genet, african wildcat, suni, blue duiker, red duiker etc....nothing left....

Try the same for large or small spotted genet, african wildcat, suni, blue duiker, red duiker etc....nothing left....

Yes, I also shot a Steenbok with it, and it was practically cut in half, but I only do skull mounts

22-250 may be a great caliber for problem jackals but it is way too fast for the small stuff especially in bushvelt close range situatiòns. I bought my daughter a 308/12ga if I can get it to shoot round nose heavy solids at modest velocity it also has potential...
Can also get a Heym 7x57R/16ga at a great price but the 16ga is a major ammo draw back here....
I own and use a few combination guns....great German invention

Your 22-250 will work for Impala/Blesbok type of animals. Just use a bullet that holds together. Here in Wyoming it’s legal to use the 22-250 for deer/pronghorn as long as the bullet meets the minimum weight which I think is 60 grains. I have killed a nice whitetail buck with one in the past. Preformed as expected.
The other issue is some places have minimum’s on caliber and energy for a rifle to be legal to hunt with. Check with your PH.
Bruce

Your 22-250 will work for Impala/Blesbok type of animals. Just use a bullet that holds together. Here in Wyoming it’s legal to use the 22-250 for deer/pronghorn as long as the bullet meets the minimum weight which I think is 60 grains. I have killed a nice whitetail buck with one in the past. Preformed as expected.
The other issue is some places have minimum’s on caliber and energy for a rifle to be legal to hunt with. Check with your PH.
Bruce
I've also heard that large calibers, in solids, can be effective on the smaller cats/tiny 10? Like a 9.3x62 with a solid bullet I have heard has good success on the small animals? Then I could take the 22-250 for impala/blesbuck etc. And the 9.3x62 for Eland and the super small stuff?

I've killed a bunch of deer with a 22-250 out to 300 ish, sp or varmint bullets. High shoulder or neck there drt,

I've killed a bunch of deer with a 22-250 out to 300 ish, sp or varmint bullets. High shoulder or neck there drt,
Deer aint small cats in Africa...keep it in the US.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you