Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Okay I realize it's more than 6 months away, but I thought I'd start my planning now. I've been home less than a week after my first African safari and I can only think about how/when I'm going to get back. But to soothe the itch, I was giving thought to going to the convention in January. I've never been before but have heard/read much about it. Furthermore, a friend that nearly went with me on my safari is definitely wanting to go now and so I was thinking about getting him to go to the show too.

With work and family commitments I will only be to attend on Friday and Saturday, missing the first two days. For those of you who have been, if I miss those first two days am I giving up too much? Or will I still be able to catch most of what there is to see?

I saw where Jerome mentioned in his 2010 SCI thread having an AH get together at this year's show. I think that's a great idea and would love to meet fellow AH members.

It doesn't matter if you only go for two days. The past couple of years, I noticed that there are lots more of those than before. It takes the full 4 days to see the entire show and speak to the many, many great exhibitors. In going for 2 days, you'll just be compressed a bit to see everyone you want to see. If you are looking to go back to Africa, don't miss the daily auctions. I've been to the nightly events but wouldn't suggest going unless you have extra money or just really want to go. I went to everything one year and was really disappointed. Its for the rich and hard-core folks, IMO. Plus the food sucked, too, so I was disappointed about that. You'll have a great time. You may also want to consider going to the Dallas Safari Club show, also held in January. It is a cheap flight from Phoenix to Dallas and lodging is affordable. Most of the exhibitors from Dallas also go to Reno. This would help you not feel like you missed as much in Reno. Plus it is only $10 or $20 per day vs $75 per day in Reno. It is also a great show to go to. Don't miss going to either or both, regardless of how much time you have to spend. It is worth it. I'll be in the Outdoor Visions booth at both events as it is planned right now. Hopefully my "real" job doesn't get in the way.

2011 SCI

I always wanted to go maybe this year will be this year. I want to become a master measurer. I won't know for a few Months.

Are you a measurer now? If not, you can become a measurer at home. On the SCI website they have the information for ordering the scoring kit and the test. A buddy of mine did it that way. Well, if you can't make it to Reno, maybe Dallas will be an option. Don't miss the chance to have a great time either way. Good luck.

I don't think that you will be "giving up too much" if you only attend the last two days of the SCI convention. Due to the size of the show, you won't be able to linger around too much at booths, however two days is plenty of time to get the full experience and yes you will be able to "catch most of what there is to see". The convention is very well organized, so if you have certain things that you want to accomplish during your time there, it makes it easy with a bit of planning and by setting your priorities... Looking forward to seeing you at the show!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,