200GR loads for a 375HH

Double Tap ammo claims 3100FPS with the 235gr. , 2950fps with 250gr, 2800fps with the 270's out of a 24" barrel. All in the TTSX. I bought a box of each to see what she likes. Those sound like hot rounds.

2950fps out of a 250gr load is getting pretty hot. Won't say it can't be done, but it's at least pushing the pressure envelope.

After scrubbing the barrel of any leftover copper fouling I returned to the range this week loaded only with 300Gr Sierra Gamekings max loaded with 78gs of Win 760 looking to break the 2700fps barrier but could only muster 2610fps, the recoil difference was minimal. The accuracy however was Incredible maybe the extra powder charge maybe the clean barrel. Possibly the barrel is to short at 23" or perhaps another powder choice any thoughts, I know accuracy is prime but I'd like both

It’s great to see the 200 grain bullets working well on Buffalo. Do they expand on lighter skinned game and work well for PG hunting too?

This is an old thread that has been brought up but since you did dig it up I’ll add my opinion I have good news and bad news the good news is I can tell you that they work well on thin skinned animals even at long range I killed a smallish whitetail deer at 427. Yards and it was a quartering away bullet entered behind front shoulder and exited almost dead center of brisket leaving a large gaping hole. Now I’m shooting it out of 375 Ruger at 3212 fps getting better than 1” groups at 100 yards. Now for some bad news GS Customs doesn’t seem to be producing bullets a this moment. My son uses their 40 gr at 4175 fps for deer also he has taken 5 head at 25-225 yards all 1 shot kills none going more than 75 yards after being hit.
We are hoping our small stash holds until GS Customs starts to produce bullets again.
Shawn

I also read where recently KMG’s rifle was used on giraffe with the GS Customs 200gr. With good results.
It’s great to see the 200 grain bullets working well on Buffalo. Do they expand on lighter skinned game and work well for PG hunting too?

I have the same opinion on this thread that I did on the other - a 200 gr .375 defeats one of the great advantages of a .375. With a quality 300 gr SP one can hunt anything in Africa at any reasonable range without worrying about different loads, scope settings, etc. if I want to use a 200 gr bullet for PG then I’ll bring my .300 Win Mag and shoot a 200 with outstanding BC. If I want to shoot a 250, then I’ll use a .338. I wouldn’t use a 200 on a buffalo under any conditions, and especially not from a .375. It might work, and then again, the lousy BC just might leave a very hurt and dangerous animal. It is usually the PH who pays the price.

If I may make a suggestion, go hunt a couple of buffalo with a proven load before jumping into the theoretical. When the time comes, you have just one overriding responsibility - put the most lethal bullet your rifle will shoot in exactly the right place. Do that, everyone goes home and you can brag about that Dugga boy the rest of your life. Screw that shot up and there is a good chance someone goes to the hospital or worse. And should they recover your “trophy” it will evoke very different memories the rest of your life.

I do think that a modern 270 gr bullet can also serve the same role as a 300. However, if I am hunting buffalo, I much prefer that extra 30 gr of weight, and the trajectory difference on longer PG shots isn’t enough to matter. Besides, all my .375’s shoot cloverleafs with 300 gr TSX’s or A-Frames.

Barnes 235g TSX in 375HH out to 300 for pg. Barnes 350g TSX for dg. One shot kills. Perfect 4 petal mushroom. 100% weight retention.

Barnes 235g TSX in 375HH out to 300 for pg. Barnes 350g TSX for dg. One shot kills. Perfect 4 petal mushroom. 100% weight retention.
I have no doubt the 235's would work fine on PG. I am just too lazy to want to fool with two such different loads from the same rifle on the same hunt. I think I would be guaranteed to be aiming at the kudu of my dreams with the wrong scope setting and/or load. :unsure::( But I will admit that I am challenged that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross