Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I took the day off from work today and spent the morning at the range with a good friend of mine who I have not had the chance to shoot with for awhile. Not the best day to shoot with a stout cross wind. We had to tape the targets completely on each side, even then they were still getting ripped off by the wind. But timing the shots between gusts helped.

Anyway I came across some recommendations for using RL25 with 200gr bullets in the magnums especially in longer barrels. Well the my new M70 fits that. The picture of the 3 horizontal shots was 74gr or RL25 and the pic that shows two holes is 74.2gr. The latter is actually 3 shots, the last shot went through the upper hole nearly perfectly, just slightly enlarging it.

I measured the max OAL for this rifle which is 3.55". Max length I can build to and still get rounds into the magazine is 3.39". So I seated the AB's to give a OAL of 3.38". The usual word of caution if you give RL25 a try, start somewhere perhaps around 72-73gr and work up. I don't think 74gr is pushing it, Swift lists 75gr as max for their 200gr A-Frames. But Nosler does not have a RL25 load listed in their manual.

IMG_0056.jpg IMG_0058.jpg

That must have been a stiff right to left cross wind to push them over that far. :)

What distance?

That must have been a stiff right to left cross wind to push them over that far. :)

What distance?

100 yards. Wind was steady at 15mph with strong gusts. Scope isn't set to zero yet. I'm in load development mode for the new rifle and just get shots relatively close to the bullseye. Once I settle on a final load, I then set the zero. While it was a right to left wind, I don't think that explains all of the shift.

300 Win mag???

Did you chony them? That would give you a ballpark idea of pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg