2 rifle combo

Kevin Davenport

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA,
I have a Cz 550fs in .270 and a Winnchester m70 .300 wm. What do y'all think of this combo for the small 10 up to Kudu? Any factoy loaded ammo that I should look at for my hunt?

either of them will be fine. ammunition wise i will sit back and watch everyone throw their favourites at you :D. i am not as fetishisistic :whistle: as a lot on here when it comes to bullets , as we use what we can get and at the moment its norma oryx , sako hammerhead both of which work well and a couple of others.

Last edited:
Barnes TTSX are the only bullets capable of killing an African animal cleanly!!!! End of discussion!!!!

Kidding.... But I do like them..... :E Big Grin:

I have used the Barnes brand (VorTx) pretty extensively in both my .30/06 and .375 and both rifles love them and shoot them well. Your mileage may vary.

I would buy several different kinds of premium bullet and figure out what your gun likes best. Or buy them one box at time until you find a good one and stop. Key being a well respected premium bullet.

Last edited:
When I was planning my hunt for the last year I was thinking of taking 2 rifles. A 25-06 and a .340 Weatherby. When I finally left all I took was the .340.

The type of hunting that we did you had no idea of what you were going to run into. Anything from a kudu to a diker. I killed all my animals with that .340 and was glad that I had it on my kudu and gemsbok. While the .25-06 may of worked on the two larger animals I wouldn't want to chance it.

Talk to your safari operator and see what he suggest. If you will have multiple chances at different animals during the day then possibly one rifle may be what you will take along.

either of them will be fine. ammunition wise i will sit back and watch everyone throw their favourites at you :D. i am not as fetishisistic :whistle: as a lot on here when it comes to bullets , as we use what we can get and at the moment its norma oryx , sako hammerhead both of which work well and a couple of others.

Fetishistic :)!

300 win mag with whichever high quality 180 -210 grain bullet you have the most confidence in.

There's not enough difference between the .270 and .300 to warrant taking both. Pick the one you're most comfortable with and carry it. Either one will cleanly take anything through Kudu. Barnes TSX bullets are great based on my experience. For the game you've suggested, so are a host of other bullets.

Leave the 270 at home the 300 is all you need

I second what Rob44 said. I think the two calibers are too close together - you don't need both, since frankly either will do the job of both. I'd take the .300, because it will do a better job on the bigger stuff, but your PH should be ok with the .270 on everything as well (I assume no dangerous game).

As for shooting the small stuff with the .270, it's usually the velocity that causes the damage on smaller game. Both the .270 and the .300 are high velocity cartridges (usually 3000 f/s +), so I'd think both could seriously damage smaller game. If possible, take the .270 (or the .300) and a bigger, slower caliber like a .375. Most soft .375's won't even open up on smaller game, but to be safe, bring solids. I've used a .300 on duikers and grysbok, and done some serious damage to the trophies, so this past year I used a .416 Rigby shooting solids to take a red duiker. Neat hole all the way through, and no other damage. Now I had the .416 along for other reasons, but a .375 will likely do the same job.

i am not as fetishisistic :whistle: as a lot on here when it comes to bullets

Who you calling fetishisistic?! And just what the hell part of the Queen's English does that word come from and mean? (n) o_O

Outside that I recommend the .300WM as your rifle of choice. The .270 would be a fine backup however.

Sounds like the .300 wm is my best bet. I've thought about buying a 6.5x55 to compliment it, but some of the places I would eventually like to hunt have a 7mm minimum

300 Win Mag is the best bet for sure. I've use it for a majority of my hunting.

"And just what the hell part of the Queen's English does that word come from and mean? (n)o_O "

here you are @PHOENIX PHIL . its the adjective of fetishism . i think no 1 and 2 below describe some peoples opinions on certain bullets.....;) :E Big Grin:

fet·ish·ism
(fĕt′ĭ-shĭz′əm)
n.
1. Worship of or belief in magical fetishes.
2. Excessive attachment or regard.
3. The displacement of sexual arousal or gratification to a fetish.
fet′ish·ist n.
fet′ish·is′tic adj.
fet′ish·is′ti·cal·ly adv

Damn, All I wanted was coffee and conversation and NOW I find out I'm fetisistic!!!!
Is there a shot or pill for that?

Last edited:
Is there a shot or pill for tat?

i think you need tweety pies help for that.....;)
looney_tunes_tweety_pie.jpg

Attachments

• looney_tunes_tweety_pie.jpg
    looney_tunes_tweety_pie.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 110
Kevin, Ask your PH,
Honestly, there's not much difference between a 300 and 270. Shoot them over a chronograph (ignore the loading manuals!!) and look at the BC's etc, shoot them both and take which ever one you want!

My son and DIL took a 270, duiker to zebra, all one shot kiils, all Nosler Accubonds.
I took a 7 Rem Mag and No animal living is going to take a hit with either (or a bunch more!!) and know the difference. Most American cartridges are because of corporate marketing not a real difference in performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg