1917 with RMR

illini

AH veteran
Joined
Apr 15, 2025
Messages
113
Reaction score
255
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
South Africa
I Thought I would share some pics of my 1917, 458 win mag. I Picked it up from the gunsmith today. I had some stock work done and also had a RMR installed. It was drilled and tapped, we used a talley plate. I think i am in love.
 

Attachments

  • 20260213_191954.jpg
    20260213_191954.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 212
  • 20260213_192029.jpg
    20260213_192029.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 204
  • 20260213_192042.jpg
    20260213_192042.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
  • 20260213_192128.jpg
    20260213_192128.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
  • 20260213_192241.jpg
    20260213_192241.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
I really like the look of your studzen on steroids!
What kinda velocity are you getting in the 20 in barrel?
 
I Thought I would share some pics of my 1917, 458 win mag. I Picked it up from the gunsmith today. I had some stock work done and also had a RMR installed. It was drilled and tapped, we used a talley plate. I think i am in love.
That’s a good looking rifle. Nice grain on the full stock.
 
Very nice looking and handy rifle with great looking FS wood. 2150fps with a 450gr bullet out of a 20” barrel is very good.
 
Have never fired a stutzen or mannlicher but did have the chance to handle one that belonged to an acquaintance in 30-06. A Sako, I think????

In any case, love to looks of these rifles and delighted to see yours is shooting well! What are you planning on targeting with it?
 
Have never fired a stutzen or mannlicher but did have the chance to handle one that belonged to an acquaintance in 30-06. A Sako, I think????

In any case, love to looks of these rifles and delighted to see yours is shooting well! What are you planning on targeting with it?
Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe 2028.
Someday tuskless elephant
Working out the details next week in Nashville.
Also would like to take an Eland with it.
Whitetail in Illinois. We are only allowed straightwall cartridges and that will help me build confidence in the rifle.
 
Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe 2028.
Someday tuskless elephant
Working out the details next week in Nashville.
Also would like to take an Eland with it.
Whitetail in Illinois. We are only allowed straightwall cartridges and that will help me build confidence in the rifle.
I love it. I’d rather take a whitetail with an African big bore than a 223 though I suppose both can do the job depending on the animal and conditions. They legalized 22 centrefires for ‘big game’ here in Alberta last hunting season. Other than culling small white-tails and predators, doesn’t seem like the ideal cartridge for hunting IMO.
 
I love it. I’d rather take a whitetail with an African big bore than a 223 though I suppose both can do the job depending on the animal and conditions. They legalized 22 centrefires for ‘big game’ here in Alberta last hunting season. Other than culling small white-tails and predators, doesn’t seem like the ideal cartridge for hunting IMO.
Did Alberta put a minimum muzzle energy requirement for the .22 centerfire cartridges for big game? If not, I can see the potential for a lot of wounded animals if used on the larger game animals.
 
Shot some Superior ammo from Lonie today. Chrono was reading 2222 fps with 450 grain A fram. But it quit working on me so I need to replace it and re test speeds with a newer chrono to double check.
 

Attachments

  • 20260215_135327.jpg
    20260215_135327.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 110
  • 20260215_135719.jpg
    20260215_135719.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 119
No, no energy or bullet weight minimum. Here is a summary of the hunting method changes for the 2025 season.

‘
HUNTING EQUIPMENT AND HUNTING METHODS

  • Prohibited weapons for big game now includes all rimfire ammunition and all centrefire ammunition with a bullet less than .22” calibre. This means that centrefire .22 cartridges like .223, .22-250, .22 Creedmoor etc., are now legal for big game.
  • The minimum draw weight for bows has been reduced to 35 pounds to draw an arrow 28 inches to its head.
  • Tracking dogs can now be used to help recover big game that have been shot at and presumed dead or wounded. The dog can only be brought into the area after the shot and must remain leashed at all times while in an area with an open season for big game. NOTE: hunting big game while accompanied by a dog other than for cougars and black bears where prescribed, or with a pack-dog in the 400 Wildlife Management Units, remains illegal.

’
 
No, no energy or bullet weight minimum. Here is a summary of the hunting method changes for the 2025 season.

‘
HUNTING EQUIPMENT AND HUNTING METHODS

  • Prohibited weapons for big game now includes all rimfire ammunition and all centrefire ammunition with a bullet less than .22” calibre. This means that centrefire .22 cartridges like .223, .22-250, .22 Creedmoor etc., are now legal for big game.
  • The minimum draw weight for bows has been reduced to 35 pounds to draw an arrow 28 inches to its head.
  • Tracking dogs can now be used to help recover big game that have been shot at and presumed dead or wounded. The dog can only be brought into the area after the shot and must remain leashed at all times while in an area with an open season for big game. NOTE: hunting big game while accompanied by a dog other than for cougars and black bears where prescribed, or with a pack-dog in the 400 Wildlife Management Units, remains illegal.

’
I wonder what prompted the change? Anyway, here’s some potential wapiti, moose and bear cartridges for the .22 big game aficionados:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3082.png
    IMG_3082.png
    489.2 KB · Views: 119

Forum statistics

Threads
70,250
Messages
1,570,792
Members
169,173
Latest member
MonicaBeve
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top