www.travelexpressagency.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
02-13-things-your-flight-attendant-wont-tell-you-rude-passengers.jpg

From falling asleep on fellow flyers, to skipping queues and even eating hot, greasy foods on a flight, there are number of things we take for granted that could turn us into the next #ShamelessPassenger.

Here are 17 tips to note so you don't become a #ShamelessPassenger:

1. Never ask if you can skip someone in the security line. By doing this you unwittingly force someone into the dilemma of choosing to be nice to you at the cost of making other people in the queue irritated and angry. And people in the line don’t have the authority to allow you to skip the security queue anyway. If you’re late and panicking, get an agent involved or be on time.

2. Don’t ask a stranger to watch your stuff. No one can be trusted. By asking someone to watch your stuff not only can your belongings get stolen, but the last thing you need is illegal goods smuggled in your bag. Also, you never know when the stranger might need to abandon your goods to catch their own flight.

3. You can’t get angry if someone “cuts” in front of you during boarding. Unlike the security queue where order and patience is a must, this queue works a little differently. Just take a deep breath and go with the flow – after all, you’re going to the same destination at the same time.

4. No hot food of any kind on a plane. There’s nothing more dreadful than being trapped on a flight next to a passenger eating food with a highly identifiable (and repulsive) smell. The only thing worse than that is suffering from motion-sickness while sitting next to someone eating said food.

5. If you can’t lift your own bag, don’t carry it on. How would you feel if someone couldn’t lift their bag into the overhead compartment and then dropped it on you?

6. Switching seats: You are morally obligated to offer to switch seats so someone can sit next to their child, elderly, or sick person in their accompaniment. Otherwise, you have the right to refuse the request.

7. Don't recline in economy. The amount of extra comfort you gain is nothing compared to the chain reaction of pain you have just set off behind you. And if you must recline, then turn around and ask the person behind you if it’s OK with them.

8. Middle seat gets the arm rests. The unlucky soul in the middle seat has one thing going for them: sole ownership of the middle armrests. At best, you can sort-of lean your elbow on the tiny edge of the armrest, and if they aren’t using it, you still can’t use it.

9. Dealing with kids: You are allowed to say something to a parent if their sugar-high, five-year-old is kicking your seat, but you are expected to be patient and tolerant of a crying baby.

10. You are still responsible for yourself when you’re asleep. It’s not okay to wake someone up unless you need them to move aside so you could use the toilet. Also not permitted: loud snoring, falling over the armrest and nestling your head on other passengers.

11. Don’t “half” stand up when someone needs to get out of the row. Stand up like a decent person and step out into the aisle.

12. Walking down the aisle: Don’t grab the back of every seat when you walk down the aisle, and if you're carrying a bag, take it off and carry it by your side to avoid smacking it into someone.

13. Control your liquor: You can drink at any point of the flight with freedom, but remain decent to fellow flyers.

14. Don’t stick your bare feet out in the aisle. If you must remove your shoes, keep them out of sight. And don’t fall asleep with your feet stretched out in the aisle - it’s your responsibility to remain aware enough to retract them when someone passes by.

15. Double the airsickness bag. Because despite the fact that these things are designed for one purpose only, they will fail you in the crucial moment.

16. Do not rush to the front and cut people when you’re getting off the plane. Sole exception: asking politely if you can go ahead because you have a connecting flight.

17. Don’t aggressively crowd the belt in baggage claim. Leave space between you and the belt so other passengers can grab their bags if they see it.

Source: http://www.traveller24.com/News/Fli...-etiquette-rules-you-shouldnt-forget-20170620

100% disagree with #7. If the person behind me don't like it...THEY can shell out the extra 5+K for business class! I sure as hell ain't gonna sit upright for 12 or more hours if I can help it.

thanks Lori all good except #7 it is the first thing I do if the seat is built to recline then they should have made room for the guy behind it when it is.

100% disagree with #7. If the person behind me don't like it...THEY can shell out the extra 5+K for business class! I sure as hell ain't gonna sit upright for 12 or more hours if I can help it.

Got to agree with this. I'm cramped enough in the damn plane as it is, I'm leaning my seat back. Most of them don't even recline THAT much.

These should be common sense not to mention common courtesy for anyone but it's nearly impossible to get to Africa and back without seeing multiple infractions. On shorter domestic flights you may get by without having to see it.

With the exception of polite interactions and friendly conversations I do my best to be unseen and unheard when flying.

#7 popped out for me as well.
Sorry, if you're in Economy, just like me, that's the way it goes. I won't stop anyone from reclining towards me, so the space will be equal for all. (Except the first and last rows may have other configurations)

//Gus

I'll add one:

Before actually getting to the Xray machine conveyor, have items that must exposed like laptop, liquids, etc. out of your carry on bag. Usually the jam up at security is cause by someone who doesn't know the rules.

Yes, agreed that #7 doesn't really apply - the recline can help the comfort of the flight a little.

Very good thanks for posting. My sister-in-law is a flight attendant and the horror stories she can tell! A little politeness goes a long way when traveling.
Philip

I am a big supporter of Rule #7, and very glad to see it in the list. If you're over 6 feet tall, you have virtually no leg room in economy on today's planes. If the person in front of you reclines, you have so little leg room you cannot normally move. I get you want to be more comfortable, but reclining won't help all that much, and it can cause serious issues for those behind you.

And another thing. Why is it that when people recline, they "pop the clutch" and throw the seat backwards, giving you no warning and no ability to move your knees out of the way? If you choose to recline - and I can't stop you - then how about a little consideration in how you do it? And once you've reclined, you need to understand that every time I move, I will likely hit the back of your seat. I don't mean to, but I am so squished there really is no way to stop that. If it was up to me, the recline function would be disabled on all economy class seats.

If we only think of ourselves when flying, then it will quickly become even more unpleasant for everyone.

Here endeth the rant.

Very good thanks for posting. My sister-in-law is a flight attendant and the horror stories she can tell! A little politeness goes a long way when traveling.
Philip

This reminds me. I couldn't be paid enough to deal with a planeload of who knows "what mood they're in" passengers so be considerate of the flight attendants.. I pick up a couple current, topical magazines at one of the stands in the airport and pass them to the flight attendants after we get settled and before takeoff. They do have some quiet time to sit down and read on those long flights, especially the ATL to JNB one. A little kindness goes a long way.

IMO- this list has several "red flags" so I am immediately suspect of exactly who put it together. For example: who determines a "moral obligation" or if you are not supposed to recline the seats in economy why are the seats in economy designed to be reclined or if you are not supposed (or allowed) to take over-sized carry on luggage onto the plane why does the airline allow it to be taken onto the plane to begin with or who determined that the middle seat holder has full authority over the use of both arm rests or who determined that hot food was not OK on the plane- hot food is regularly served, especially on longer flights and so on... be careful of what you wish for if needing an "etiquette police" to think for you

Last edited:
Reactions: ack
IMO- or if you are not supposed (or allowed) to take over-sized carry on luggage onto the plane why does the airline allow it to be taken onto the plane to begin with

Oversize and overweight bags are usually flagged at the boarding gate BUT how many times have you seen a woman or a man, weighing less than 100 pounds soaking wet, struggling to stow their heavy carry-on in to the overhead and in the process interrupt and delay the boarding process? They KNOW they can't do it but feel no compunction about imposing the task on whoever is standing near them. I call that being IGNORANT and INCONSIDERATE. If I didn't have to worry about getting thrown off the aircraft, I'd give them an industrial grade spoken MFing enough to make them think twice about doing it again.

I am a big supporter of Rule #7, and very glad to see it in the list. If you're over 6 feet tall, you have virtually no leg room in economy on today's planes. If the person in front of you reclines, you have so little leg room you cannot normally move. I get you want to be more comfortable, but reclining won't help all that much, and it can cause serious issues for those behind you.

And another thing. Why is it that when people recline, they "pop the clutch" and throw the seat backwards, giving you no warning and no ability to move your knees out of the way? If you choose to recline - and I can't stop you - then how about a little consideration in how you do it? And once you've reclined, you need to understand that every time I move, I will likely hit the back of your seat. I don't mean to, but I am so squished there really is no way to stop that. If it was up to me, the recline function would be disabled on all economy class seats.

If we only think of ourselves when flying, then it will quickly become even more unpleasant for everyone.

Here endeth the rant.

Agree 100%

The more I look at the "rules" as posted in the OP, the more suspicious or possibly concerned I get as it seems it was originally borrowed or formulated and posted by a travel agent or travel consultant of some kind- good grief!

I too am fairly tall so yes reclining the seat in front can be an inconvenience (usually just the small annoyance of improper ergonomics of the fold out tray table) - but not to the point of making some kind of issue out of it. And yes kicking from behind is also an annoyance- but it is just as likely by adults as kids- however the OP pointed at kids!

That's why I pay a little extra for upgrading my seat on long flights. Just paid the whopping total of $60 to upgrade two long flights ($30 each for the two 14+ hr flight legs) on upcoming trip to SE Asia. Have done similar upgrades for each long leg of the trips to Asia and Africa. Remember, "rules" that benefit one group will likely be to the detriment of another group. When relying on someones else's "rules" you may give up some control of the real world common sense that is required to get along. Be careful of "rules". Just saying

Last edited:
"Here at the Rock, we have two rules. Rule #1, OBEY ALL RULES". Barney Fife.

You should have to agree to all these rules before purchasing a ticket.

Lori,
Thanks for this though some seem to disagree. When I recline my seat, I do it in stages so as to give some type of warning. I flew from Boston to Rome on Alitalia, the seats were so close together that if the one in front recline during the meal service, you could not eat off the tray. At least SAA has some of the best leg room in coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg