130 gr 308

I have used a 130 grain X bullet on two large muley bucks from my 300 Sav bolt with 1:12 twist. Nice little combo. One bullet exited chest at 250yrds the other stuck if off shoulder at about 110 yards.................good luck................FWB
Have also used the 130 TTSX, drive them fast and they will do the job.

284 in a short action is very limited on bullet choices to meet 2.8” mag length. Yes, I have one. Nosler partitions will work seated deep, 145 Speer Grand Slam (junk) works, 140 gr Woodleigh and some of the light Hammer bullets will work. Forget about anything pointy!
Good to know! I may build one myself one day.

284 in a short action is very limited on bullet choices to meet 2.8” mag length. Yes, I have one. Nosler partitions will work seated deep, 145 Speer Grand Slam (junk) works, 140 gr Woodleigh and some of the light Hammer bullets will work. Forget about anything pointy!

I’m a Barnes lover. I assume the 140 TTSX wouldn’t work real well.

@Jamie D Van Roekel If you want to use harder/heavier .30 calibre bullets including homogeneous types, either 1-11” or 1-10” would be good choices for a hunting rifle. Both options would reduce the need for heavy propellant charges in order to get sufficient rotational velocity for reliable expansion.
NB If you go to either end of the spectrum with bullet hardness, valid testing will require more time and money than if you stayed in the ‘middle ground’). I suggest that you obtain no more than fifty (50) of each projectile that you wish to try and then purchase at least two hundred (200) more of each type that works well in initial testing.

Last edited:
I’m a Barnes lover. I assume the 140 TTSX wouldn’t work real well.
No, not with a 2.80" mag length, bullet is too long, especially for my 284 Browning A-Bolt. See Barnes load data link below, 2.90" required. I don't have a Rem 700 SA, if it can hold 2.90" you should be ok. Run a set of dial calipers in the mag box to see what you have available for mag length.

The fat 284 case may also be fussy getting to feed well. If you are set on the 308 with 130 TTSX, I would use a 1-10 or 1-11 twist. 1-11 should allow you to shoot 180's without any problem.

Attachments

• 284-Winchester.pdf
    168.4 KB · Views: 108
I was not aware Browning made the abolt in .284.
Limited run from Grice’s Gun Shop in Pennsylvania a few years back. Has a 22” tube and a Khales 2-7 rides along. Good shooter and handy in the woods and from a tree stand but the limited mag length is a PITA.

Great case design with the 284, also have couple of 6.5x284’s. Took one of the 6.5x284s to Africa earlier this year with great results.

I have used a 130 grain X bullet on two large muley bucks from my 300 Sav bolt with 1:12 twist. Nice little combo. One bullet exited chest at 250yrds the other stuck if off shoulder at about 110 yards.................good luck................FWB

Not a Savage Model 1920 "Baby Springfield" by chance? I've always really wanted one of those rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you