120gr TTSX in 7x57

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by PHOENIX PHIL, Jan 2, 2015.

1. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    No, show season kept me busy. Best load so far are 140gr North Fork bonded cores. Getting 2850fps and well under 1" groupings. Still want to work with the 120gr TTSX's but haven't had much time lately.

2. PaulT

PaulT AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Wow, there's not a lot between the two cartridges, Phil, the obvious difference being the length of the mono T.S.X and the lead core N.F taking less cartridge space.

I'm going to try fooling with the load length and re-test them.
    Obviously I don't think there's much wrong with a 140gner at 2950 but I just wonder if that's enough muzzle velocity to ensure the T.S.X's peel back on soft skinned game down range at 200 +yds where they have slowed down some.

Thanks for the feed-back (y)

3. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Yes, in the 7x64 you should be able to get 3150fps, its basically the same round as the .280 Rem and its easy to do there. I used to use 57 grs of IMR4350 with a 145 Speer and get over 3000fps. We were getting just over 3k (140 Barnes) in my boys .284 Win for RSA last summer. 55.5 grs of Win760 worked for us there. That in a 22 inch bbl too.

4. Code4

Code4 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
    When I read 'very accurate' I thought, no need to go any further.

Better off to spend your time and money finding more 140 BT's.

5. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    That's why I like the NF's, no such worries.

6. LRich

LRich AH Senior Member

I'm getting ready to start a 7x57 project. Seems everyone in this thread is mostly discussing 120 gr to 140 gr bullets and barely any mention of 160 gr - 175 gr bullets.

That being said, what twist rate are you guys using for the lighter weight bullets?

Is there a twist rate that generally shoots most of the bullet weights pretty well?

7. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Best all around twist for any 7mm is 1 in 9. It will handle the heavy bullets fine as well as the lighter. Better to have a quicker twist than slower, you will have more latitude as regards bullet weights. Put differently, if you want to shoot a full range of weights well, go quicker. If you want only to shoot lighter, shorter bullets, then a slower twist might be better.

8. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I only have a 7mm-08 and it shoots 110gr TTSX into one hole at 3000FPS as I remember. They work. Remember a Barnes bullet acts like a lead core bullet 30% heavier so the 110gr TTSX works like a 143gr lead bullet.

9. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    As mentioned above (by sestoppleman) a 1in 9 twist works well across the board and while the original question was on the light weight bullets my favoured bullet in my 7x57 is the 160gn Woodleigh and over a good dose of H4350 runs at 2700fps from my 25 in barrel.

10. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    I'm ready to start re-loading my 7x57, it's a Chilean Small Ring built in Berlin with a 22 inch Green Mountain Barrel. I'd like to use 150s because i have an inventory of them from my 7-08 and 7mm Rem Mag. I'm slightly concerned because my understanding that even tho the actions were state of the art a 100 years ago I'm told not to over load the old Mausers, so something in the 25oo to 27oo fps would satisfy me . I would use this as My Plains Game rifle on my next trip to Africa