ZIMBABWE: First Hunt In Africa, First Hunting Report, Dalton & York Safaris

I was lost on that one too

I forgot to add this one. One of the Barnes recovered from my croc. This is the brain shot and lost only one petal
IMG_5426.jpeg

I showed my bushbuck to a few outfits at dsc and they were floored so I want to show a comparison. This isn’t to downplay the other trophy’s in the photo, just show the mass on this one .

IMG_5368.jpeg

I've been debating on whether I wanted to write this or not, mostly due to time. I happen to be working from home today and my laptop is still open, so here we go. This is going to be somewhat short, so I apologize for the lack of detail.

Country - Zimbabwe
Dates - September 1-12
Type of Hunt - Dangerous game and plains game
Method of Hunting - Rifle
Outfitter - Dalton and York Safaris
PH - Dalton Tink
Locations Hunted - Omay, Zimbabwe
Species Hunted - Buffalo, Hippo, Crocodile, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Hyena, Baboon.
Trophy Quality - Pictures will answer this one
Species Seen - Elephant, Buffalo, Hippo, Crocodile, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Hyena, Baboon, Grysbok, Duiker, Klipspringer
Lodging - Permanent Camp
Food - Typical African fair
Activities - Hunting
Travel Methods-Qatar Airways and car

I booked this hunt way back in April of 2021, which is right around when Covid started to let up. I spoke with a few outfits, but I ended up going with Dalton and York safaris. They were still fairly new as owner operators at this time, so I was a little nervous.

I booked my flights with Jenn at @TRAVEL EXPRESS through Qatar airways. (she was very very helpful). I flew from my home state of CT to Chicago, mostly due to the major airports in my area are very anti gun, and Jenn thought it would be best to fly out of a better airport, I didn't argue. Once in Chicago I had to recheck my guns with Qatar, which was very easy. They didn't even open the rifle case, nor weigh my ammo. The entire process took maybe 15 minutes. (have your paperwork pre filled out with copies) I then waited a few more hours, boarded and had the long flight over to Doha (12 hours). Once in Doha I had a 9 hour layover which I stayed in a sleep n fly pod. It wasn't worth the money and I will be getting a room at the hotel next time around, if I fly this route. Total transit was 41 hours, too long in my opinion. After the layover, it was another flight down to Lusaka, then Harare.

After I landed, I made my way down the jet bridge and was met by a meet and greet I set up previously through Michelle Buchanan. She was very helpful with logistics even though I didn't booked though her. I was taken to a room, gun and ammo checked, then walked to the door to be picked up by the Amanzi lodge. This may have taken 20 minutes, most of which were waiting for my bags on the carousel.

I was met by George, the manager of the Amanzi lodge, who took me on a little tour of the city. Once I arrived at the lodge, I dropped my bags, showered and passed out for a few hours. I then woke for dinner and a few cocktails. I was happy to meet 3 other hunters at the bar hunting with CMS and had a great hunting talk. After dinner I passed out again, but was wide awake by 2am, jet lag really hit me. The Amanzi is truly a great stop for an overnight, I will definitely use them again next time around.
Pictures of the lodge
View attachment 564905

View attachment 564906
View attachment 564907

I was picked up by by a carrier organized by Dalton, and we drove to a little place called Lions Den, in Chinhoyi around an hour and a half from Harare. I was met by Dalton and York whom were dropping off their previous clients. After our hellos and goodbyes, we drove the 6 hours to camp. What a ride.

We arrived in camp around 3, just in time for a beer and to settle down. Once I was on my second adult beverage Dalton and I loaded up my rifle and headed to the range.. Talk about pressure of a first timer. Thankfully I shot hundreds of rounds down my M70 375 H&H. I set up on my rifle case and squeezed off a round. I hit dead center left to right and 1/4 inch high, still in the red. Dalton told me to unload my rifle, that was enough. We ate dinner then off to bed, Buffalo in the morning.

A few shots from the room I stayed in. A wonderful spot, the first morning when I couldn't sleep, elephants were making their way through the dry river bed in front of me. It sure was wild Africa.

View attachment 564909

View attachment 564910
Same Chalet I stayed in.

Funny African spider story

We were riding along in the Landcruiser and up ahead in the trail were two Impala rams locked in real battle.

My PH said I should be able to sneak right up on them and get within bow range. So I grabbed my recurve bow and quiver and away I went.

So about 300 yards away from them, I ducked into the bush, paralleling the trail about 20 yards in. Occasionally I would pop out to relocate them, and I could clearly hear them battling.

By the time I closed the distance they had pushed off into the bush, but I could easily hear their horns so I kept the wind, and stayed after them. By now I was covered in cob webs from trotting thru the bush. Normally as you know you are silently walking and avoid the webs.

Then while distracted listening for horns hitting and maintaining the wind I trotted right smack dab into one of those huge 5” trail spiders. The web and the spider were planted squarely center mass on my face. I threw my bow spastically flailing around trying to get the web and spider off of my face.

Luckily the spider was even less enthusiastic about being on my face as I was. So he was off quickly. But if someone was there to witness it. They would have had one heck off a good laugh watching my spastic jig.

I grabbed my bow. Listened for the horns and they were moving into my wind so I had to run and circle around and get in front of the angle they seemed to be pushing each other.

This whole event so far is perhaps :5 max

I finally was in front of them and had the wind. I had to keep moving as I could now hear the ground and brush commotion on top of the horn noise.

I picked a large clump of brush to ambush them and luckily picked the right one.

They were locked in a violent pushing match. They were very low to the ground digging in with all four legs. As they were coming around the bush I drew the recurve bow.

They were at 5-6 yards and moving up and down, left and right. I couldn’t get a good shot. Because of all the movement. They came closer and they were so close I was aiming down on them the Ram I picked was maybe 10” off the ground pushing the other Ram. I had a split second window when the held a stable position for enough time to shoot. But as I was releasing they pushed hard again.

My arrow struck the larger ram slightly quartering towards me and too far forward. It hit him where the shoulder blade meets the thicker bone.

We left him and 2 trackers. They followed him and radioed that it was a non lethal hit. I lost the Ram

When I climbed back on the truck my wife freaked out. I was covered in cob webs. She is deathly afraid of any spider.

I probably would have turned off the stalk when the spider came in contact with my face. I would have flailed around enough that no animal would have been within 600 yards

I had one crawl across my foot in the shower. I didn't even know I could dance until then. Lol!
I would always get the water crazy hot, just in case a bug of some sort was in there. I had a huge wasp in my room late one night hanging out near one of the lights. I almost needed a shotgun for that bad boy.

I wouldn’t be happy about that one

Taxidermist in Zim is finished with tanning my hippo and buffalo back skin, just waiting on zebra and then they will pack for shipment. Would love to get everything back to the states before summer.

A bit of delay with getting everything prepped for shipment in Zim. Im having a purse made for my wife out of the buffalo back skin and only for 100 bucks.

To all new hunters, save your back skin if you can afford it. It makes awesome leather for just about anything. 23 square feet of buffalo and a ton of hippo was tanned over there.

93.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosHeis

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.