Zeiss Terra 3x

From what I can gather the Ziess Terra was assembled in America from components made by ziess. This was done to make the scope more affordable as German labour costs are thru the roof. The logic was if they could produce a quality scope at a cheaper price for the American market sales would go up.
I have had a 3-9×40 Terra an my Whelen for 3 years and never once had a problem with it. The duplex reticle is a bit heavier than the Leupolds and this suits my eyesight and style of hunting. Also great just before dawn and just after dusk.
If it was still made I would buy another but alas it isn't so I went for a meopta meopro and find it even better than the Terra.
Bob
The Zeiss Terra range, according to my understanding, is made in Japan, to Zeiss specifications. The Zeiss Conquest range is assembled in New York state, U.S.A.

Base line is always a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20.

My other two dangerous game scopes are Schmidt 1-8x24 and Swaro Z8i 1-8x 24.

Well, a LOT has transpired since 2014. I spent way too much time here and got enough information to justify two Swarovski scopes :D

The Zeiss Terra range, according to my understanding, is made in Japan, to Zeiss specifications. The Zeiss Conquest range is assembled in New York state, U.S.A.
@ZG47
I knew it was one of them just couldn't remember.
The Terra is g great scope for the money.

It
@ZG47
I knew it was one of them just couldn't remember.
The Terra is g great scope for the money.
I agree. The older style Leupold products, such as the current 1.5-5x20 are also good optics BUT the advertised eye relief numbers for those older products tend, in my experience, to be false. My first Leupold optic was a M8 4x (3.6x28) scope. It was the ideal optic for mounting on a No. 1 Mk III and anything else with a barrel-mounted backsight. The friction adjustments were rubbish and I should have sent it to the manufactory for click adjustments to be fitted but sold it instead. That optic had an eye relief of 3.5” whereas the Leupold specification sheet stated that it was 4.4”. My limited experience with the older 6.5-20x40 model mirrors that situation. I do not measure eye relief to the back of my eye socket BUT Leupold & Stevens seemed to do that for far too long. All the newer design Leupold scope ranges appear, in my experience, to have correctly listed specifications.
You never really know what any new tool is going to do until you have examined it, used it and had a proper look at what it has done for you.

Have a good weekend, Bob and don’t forget … most of your Australian gravy (tomato sauce) probably comes from NZ. :A Stirring: :D Cheers:

The manufacturing Country is not so important. Ages ago (1971) I bought a Nickel 6x30 (made in Germany) that 30 years later suddenly broke the crosshair (it was metal wire, not etched glass).
After that failure i bought a Conquest 4,5-14x44(made in USA) still in service on a 7 mm Rem. Mag.

It

I agree. The older style Leupold products, such as the current 1.5-5x20 are also good optics BUT the advertised eye relief numbers for those older products tend, in my experience, to be false. My first Leupold optic was a M8 4x (3.6x28) scope. It was the ideal optic for mounting on a No. 1 Mk III and anything else with a barrel-mounted backsight. The friction adjustments were rubbish and I should have sent it to the manufactory for click adjustments to be fitted but sold it instead. That optic had an eye relief of 3.5” whereas the Leupold specification sheet stated that it was 4.4”. My limited experience with the older 6.5-20x40 model mirrors that situation. I do not measure eye relief to the back of my eye socket BUT Leupold & Stevens seemed to do that for far too long. All the newer design Leupold scope ranges appear, in my experience, to have correctly listed specifications.
You never really know what any new tool is going to do until you have examined it, used it and had a proper look at what it has done for you.

Have a good weekend, Bob and don’t forget … most of your Australian gravy (tomato sauce) probably comes from NZ. :A Stirring: :D Cheers:
@ZG47
You can keep the tomato sauce mate its shit even on a Meat Pie.
HP sauce for me about the best thing to come out of England.
Bob

You can't go wrong with Meopta optics. I finally bought one 4 years ago and thought, damn, what took me so long! Great quality for the price which to me equals a tremendous value. I have their MeoStar R2 1.7-10x42 RD on my .375 H&H and love it. Great low light visibility especially with the 42mm objective which is one of the many great features of the MeoStar line. Since putting this scope on my rifle it has become a favorite for feral swine. Last year I took a 40 pound porker at 125 yards at 10 PM!

You can't go wrong with Meopta optics. I finally bought one 4 years ago and thought, damn, what took me so long! Great quality for the price which to me equals a tremendous value. I have their MeoStar R2 1.7-10x42 RD on my .375 H&H and love it. Great low light visibility especially with the 42mm objective which is one of the many great features of the MeoStar line. Since putting this scope on my rifle it has become a favorite for feral swine. Last year I took a 40 pound porker at 125 yards at 10 PM!

They were originally called Opticotechnica, a name that you will find on German issued WWII sniper optics. The Meopta name change occurred under Communist control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KendraMcKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani