Zastava? Any good?

Reaction score
Media
Good morning gentleman, I've stumbled apon a .375 for sale it's a zastava. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? Quility or concerns? I'm strongly considering purchasing this rifle if there isn't a reason not to.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I had one in 458wm that I bought brand new from Tradex. Not a bad rifle for the $s, all things considered. The stock was dryer than the Sahara at high noon tho and needed some refinishing. The bolt was a little rough, but would probably smooth out over time. My only real concern was that the rifle weighted just under 8lbs and I wanted something closer to 9.5lbs, so I got rid of it. The good news is that the low cost of the Zastava's when new, pretty much guarantee's that you will get your money back if you want to re-sell.

Great Rifles I own one in 375HH and one in 7-08, the 7-08 was a little rough to start out with, but the 375 is a great rifle

IMG_0725.JPG
I have a Zastava in 375H&H. The action was a little rough and the triggers needed a lot of cleaning but it has been a good rifle to shoot and very accurate

i bought a used one with syn stock in 3006 with a ex bore for 200.00 imported by charles daly for a loaned-bad weather rifle that was carried alot, but fired very little. the adjustable trigger went down to 3 lbs with a sharp let off, with a older leupold 4x scope it gives close to moa at 100 yards with my reloads. well worth the 200.00 spent in MHO.

Big issue with Zastava rifles is that the earlier Mini Mauser M85 rifles suffer from bolt-binding due to poor choice of steel, probably an economy measure. Not an issue with the larger actions, so far as I know OR the model 99 Rimfire rifle but it definitely put people off the M85 rifle, here in NZ. The current importer still brings in the M85 but mostly seems to sell the full size centrefire rifles and the Model 99 rifles.
The full size rifles go bang, hit the target and have been doing that for decades. Hard to go wrong.

I had one in 458wm that I bought brand new from Tradex. Not a bad rifle for the $s, all things considered. The stock was dryer than the Sahara at high noon tho and needed some refinishing. The bolt was a little rough, but would probably smooth out over time. My only real concern was that the rifle weighted just under 8lbs and I wanted something closer to 9.5lbs, so I got rid of it. The good news is that the low cost of the Zastava's when new, pretty much guarantee's that you will get your money back if you want to re-sell.

Were you able to get the stock to take oil when you refinished it? Would you worry about stock cracking of splitting?

Were you able to get the stock to take oil when you refinished it? Would you worry about stock cracking of splitting?
I would personally shoot the rifle UNTIL the stock cracked (maybe never?), and then buy a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock. Probably cheaper doing this than paying a gunsmith to glass bed the original wood stock which still might eventually split or crack somewhere? As far as smoothing the action out, just put some Rem Oil on the rails and wherever there is noticeable wear (lack of bluing) and work the action a thousand times while you're smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo on T.V. cause there's nothing else to do right now with the Zombie virus apocalypse upon us? Just my two centavos!

I would personally shoot the rifle UNTIL the stock cracked (maybe never?), and then buy a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock. Probably cheaper doing this than paying a gunsmith to glass bed the original wood stock which still might eventually split or crack somewhere? As far as smoothing the action out, just put some Rem Oil on the rails and wherever there is noticeable wear (lack of bluing) and work the action a thousand times while you're smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo on T.V. cause there's nothing else to do right now with the Zombie virus apocalypse upon us? Just my two centavos!

This I couldn't do, there is no synthetic in my gun cabinet and I couldn't bring myself to change that.

This I couldn't do, there is no synthetic in my gun cabinet and I couldn't bring myself to change that.
Well then, I'm sure one of the many expert stock makers here on AH could make you one? I will BET Von Gruff could make you one of your choosing? From seeing the photos of his custom knives and custom gun/stock making craftsmanship here, I have no doubt! Funny, I too don't have any synthetic stocked rifles in my meager rifle portfolio? I too love the feel and looks of the wood? What's wrong with us? Ha! Ha!

Well then, I'm sure one of the many expert stock makers here on AH could make you one? I will BET Von Gruff could make you one of your choosing? From seeing the photos of his custom knives and custom gun/stock making craftsmanship here, I have no doubt! Funny, I too don't have any synthetic stocked rifles in my meager rifle portfolio? I too love the feel and looks of the wood? What's wrong with us? Ha! Ha!

Atleast in my case champaign taste and beer budgets fits.

307835-e12d7f40ab39e21be8c2f6fa6f2948d0 whitworth.jpg
I think the consensus is that they are acceptable working rifles that may or may not benefit from a little TLC. Things of beauty they are not.
Seriously?o_O:confused::eek::D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.