Zastava 9.3x62 Got The Best Of Me

Meant to add a couple other things. The only bases I could find were Weaver Grand Slam (S46 on the front, and its mate for the rear). Not a bad thing, just a thing.

My extractor has a high spot on it. It needs to have a couple thou polished off.

Front site is not lined up with the scope mounting holes. I had to drift the front sight over about .02" or something like that. But the front sight is quite snug in the dove tail.

Floor plate has a little lateral movement when open.

While Zastava claims you can stuff 5 rds in the mag, it's a really tight fit. It is really a 3 + 1.

All minor little things. But, I'd not be worried (nor embarrassed) to take it anywhere.

You lucky Son of A Gun . Those rifles are robust , precise and shoot damn accurate for all practical points and purposes !
9.3 × 62 mm was Don Heath's favorite caliber. He eventually ditched his .404 Jeffery Holland and Holland Mauser for a 9.3 × 62 mm Rifle with Detachable magazines for quick loading. Took quite a lot of DG with it too. Including Elephant and Cape Buffalo . Congrats :)

You are too much! I thought I bought a lot of guns but a little beverage, a credit card and you are more dangerous than a wounded buff!

Congratulations on a nice looking firearm!

Well rats.

This guy has new Zastava rifles in a few calibers and variants and various odds & ends used rifles. I asked about a 7X57mm 20" barrel full stock Zastava, he told me his minimum order size from Zastava was 20 rifles of a given caliber and configuration, and he doesn't see enough market demand for calibers and configurations for 20 rifles outside his typical stock in 6.5X55mm and 9.3X62mm. new rifles. As noted he probably has more left handed bolt action rifles available of any Gunbroker.com seller.

One other thing to note is his new 9.3X62mm rifles have the "pig back" stock, he uses "Bavarian style stock" in his item descriptions for this feature. Not knocking different stock styles, but for my recoil issues I prefer Monte Carlo style stocks. I can see the "pig back" style could have advantages using high see-through style scope rings like Ironsighter to have fast availability of iron sights as well as a scope. I've never participated in driven game hunts and I don't expect that to change, plus my vision is nowhere near what it was before age 30 so I have very limited personal use for iron sights these days.

I purchased this same design rifle pre-owned with a 1.5-5X20 Leupold scope from Collectors Firearms in Houston this summer where they held a 20% off online purchases discount from 6AM -9AM CDT on 7 June 2019. The prior owner somehow had it in a Zastava stock not inletted for a side safety and instead has a 2 position flag safety on the back of the bolt that just barely has enough room to function with the scope mounted. I plan to change this.

I've had nothing but good experiences both punching paper and on game wiith my Zastava manufactured commercial bolt action rifles whether the name on the receiver is Interarms Mark X, Whitworth, or Zastava. I really prefer a controlled round feed action, just my preference. I too have found 3+1 as a reasonable loading of their internal magazines. I also like the hinged magazine floorplate especially for their typical side safety configuration.

I just won an auction for a Zastava Model 70 in 9.3x62. Alcohol and Gunbroker DO NOT MIX!!! This is basically a commercial Mauser 98, with a different safety. Weight is said to be 7lbs. Barrel length 22" with iron sights. View attachment 299879 Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?

Nice and cheap rifle. Balance is not so good, but you will use this rifle lot of years. Lot if my friend in Serbia use Zastava rifle M70.

Forgot to add I think scope bases that fit commercial FN Mausers will also fit these Zastava full size M70 bolt action rifles. I know Parker Hale 1200 and Remington 798 rifles are the same receivers and barrels manufactured by Zastava with different stocks and perhaps a few other options such as the gold triggers on the Parker Hale 1200 rifles.

@sgt_zim, I noticed Zastava USA now lists 7X57 as one of the rifle calibers now available, so you could ask what configurations they are currently offering in 7X57 they're now offering in the US market. They claim to be the exclusive importer for (factory new) Zastava rifles in the US now but as we've seen Greene Sporting is also importing these factory new rifles in very limited calibers and configurations, with his largest variety as left hand stocks & actions.

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/product/sporting-rifle-lk-m70/

Attachments

• Screenshot (38).png
    Screenshot (38).png
    158.7 KB · Views: 226
Toby - you must have a revolving door on your gun vault.
When I can tell what upgrades you have made to your kitchen counter area...

Enjoy the new arrival.

Forgot to add I think scope bases that fit commercial FN Mausers will also fit these Zastava full size M70 bolt action rifles. I know Parker Hale 1200 and Remington 798 rifles are the same receivers and barrels manufactured by Zastava with different stocks and perhaps a few other options such as the gold triggers on the Parker Hale 1200 rifles.

@sgt_zim, I noticed Zastava USA now lists 7X57 as one of the rifle calibers now available, so you could ask what configurations they are currently offering in 7X57 they're now offering in the US market. They claim to be the exclusive importer for (factory new) Zastava rifles in the US now but as we've seen Greene Sporting is also importing these factory new rifles in very limited calibers and configurations, with his largest variety as left hand stocks & actions.

They have an FAQ to answer the LH question. The real question is "do they have any in the US?". I notice they list 2 dealers "near" me, "near" being a relative term. Both of them are in Greater Houston, so near enough.

Toby’s firearm emporium will reopen shortly! Stand by for news and deals!

They have an FAQ to answer the LH question. The real question is "do they have any in the US?". I notice they list 2 dealers "near" me, "near" being a relative term. Both of them are in Greater Houston, so near enough.

The only way to know inventory, shipping costs, etc. is to contact Zastava USA directly. I had a long back-and-forth with them a while back for publishing a catalog with calibers and options they weren't planning to offer until next year earliest and even then it was maybe so I'm confident I'm not their favorite potential customer. Perhaps they finally looked at all the comments posted by me and others on their web site regarding their offerings, it is definitely something I specifically spelled out as a recommended action item in my discourse. For whatever reason 7X57 now appears on their available calendars list, it did not at the time I emailed them.

Another option would be to try to organize a group buy of 20 rifles through Greene Sporting, but that would be difficult IMO even without left vs right hand issues.

Once I get my new-to-me Zastava 7X64mm rifle out on the range, I may decide to part with my custom Mannlicher style 20" barrel 7X57mm rifle, but that won't happen until next month earliest due to some health issues. I've been purchasing a few other pre-owned rifles and now have Interarms Mark X full stock Mannlicher style rifles (carbines?) in .30-06 Springfield, .270 Winchester, and .243 Winchester. Like @TOBY458 probably need to cull my herd, I've been kinda swept up in a "life's too short" mood the past year with what I've faced down and probabilities for my near future.

Parker Hale actions are made in Spain by Santa Barbara, not Zastava. Nothing wrong with them, just not Yugo made.

The only way to know inventory, shipping costs, etc. is to contact Zastava USA directly. I had a long back-and-forth with them a while back for publishing a catalog with calibers and options they weren't planning to offer until next year earliest and even then it was maybe so I'm confident I'm not their favorite potential customer. Perhaps they finally looked at all the comments posted by me and others on their web site regarding their offerings, it is definitely something I specifically spelled out as a recommended action item in my discourse. For whatever reason 7X57 now appears on their available calendars list, it did not at the time I emailed them.

Another option would be to try to organize a group buy of 20 rifles through Greene Sporting, but that would be difficult IMO even without left vs right hand issues.

Once I get my new-to-me Zastava 7X64mm rifle out on the range, I may decide to part with my custom Mannlicher style 20" barrel 7X57mm rifle, but that won't happen until next month earliest due to some health issues. I've been purchasing a few other pre-owned rifles and now have Interarms Mark X full stock Mannlicher style rifles (carbines?) in .30-06 Springfield, .270 Winchester, and .243 Winchester. Like @TOBY458 probably need to cull my herd, I've been kinda swept up in a "life's too short" mood the past year with what I've faced down and probabilities for my near future.

BTW, I'm a huge believer in your sig line: When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

It will probably be early next year before I'm ready to buy, so hopefully they'll get their logistics straight between now and then. Worst case is I end up buying a 275 Rigby from MRC. ;)

Parker Hale actions are made in Spain by Santa Barbara, not Zastava. Nothing wrong with them, just not Yugo made.

I stand corrected. But I'm pretty sure scope bases for the 1200 will also fit Zastava commercial mausers; no reason to limit oneself to Weaver bases was my main point.

Zim, I think Zastava USA needs direct input on niche markets here in the USA for popular European calibers and alternate stock configurations. It seemed to me their onitial list of calibers was selected with the sales figures for rifles & ammo that statistics likely show as popular and have no concept of the potential market they could tap into with little competition in their price bracket for such things as full stocks and left hand rifles and popular European calibers. The more folks that send them an email regarding what they would like to purchase from their catalog.

Last edited:
I got a Zastava in .375. Group is with 350 grain Northfork bullets at 50 yards

IMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I get my new-to-me Zastava 7X64mm rifle out on the range, I may decide to part with my custom Mannlicher style 20" barrel 7X57mm rifle, ... Interarms Mark X full stock Mannlicher style rifles (carbines?) in .30-06 Springfield, ...

Sir Zorg;

Not to be persnickety, but those 'Mannlicher style' long arms are more accurately termed stutzen, or merely 'full stocked'.

Somehow, over time, we in the U.S. have come to associate 'Mannlicher' with a full stocked carbine while in reality the Mannlicher Schönauer was available in full stock, half stock, or takedown and Steyr was not the only firm offering stutzen at the time the MS was available.

Mauser:
36537896yw.jpg

MS:
36537922bm.jpg

There were even kits and 'conversions' on the market:
36537991wz.jpg

Attachments

• 36537896yw.jpg
    36537896yw.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 36537922bm.jpg
    36537922bm.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 111
  • 36537991wz.jpg
    36537991wz.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
“Stutzen”...I never new that! Very interesting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg