AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Watched Zane Grey’s beautiful 1895 Winchester bring 375k plus 27% buyers premium on RIA this morning. What a gorgeous rifle. Rifle came with the cancelled bank check for the amount of $381.68 in 1921. Pretty cool and thought I would share this.
3D332E4E-FECC-40BE-95FA-D22B76F36C18.jpeg
61DE9FA5-8367-4044-914D-055BF653A87F.jpeg
70DE7B70-EF5C-4D0A-A46B-FC6D2E77DB3B.jpeg

So what hunt do you have planned for it?;)

Nice provenance and the icing is that cancelled check. Very cool.

So what hunt do you have planned for it?;)
I’m not going to hunt with it until I get the muzzle brake installed Bob!

Should be easy enough to convert it to a PRC caliber too.
Well if you are going for a PRC rifle, you'll need to drill and attach a piece of pic-rail for the optic too. That gorgeous little peepsight is not going to cut it on the 500 yard range.

@VertigoBE ... Maybe that's true for you - the peep sight won't cut it. I know it'd be true for me. But is it possible that you're underestimating Cody's skill level with the rifle? I have to believe between the muzzle brake and the generous recoil pad (which he didn't mention but surely will be installed), that perhaps he'll have what he needs to bring out the full potential of both the rifle and its peep sight?

And heck, while we're humorously Frankensteining this exquisite piece of art, let's just add a tacticool fore end, which really gets at the heart of one of my own personal firearms related pet peeves: tactical lever guns.

Strictly my opinion, but I think the creators of such things should be quoting the words of Mary Shelley: "A flash of lightning illuminated the object, and discovered its shape plainly to me... the deformity of its aspect, more hideous than belongs to humanity, instantly informed that it was the wretch, the filthy demon to whom I had given life."

@VertigoBE ... Maybe that's true for you - the peep sight won't cut it. I know it'd be true for me. But is it possible that you're underestimating Cody's skill level with the rifle? I have to believe between the muzzle brake and the generous recoil pad (which he didn't mention but surely will be installed), that perhaps he'll have what he needs to bring out the full potential of both the rifle and its peep sight?

And heck, while we're humorously Frankensteining this exquisite piece of art, let's just add a tacticool fore end, which really gets at the heart of one of my own personal firearms related pet peeves: tactical lever guns.

Strictly my opinion, but I think the creators of such things should be quoting the words of Mary Shelley: "A flash of lightning illuminated the object, and discovered its shape plainly to me... the deformity of its aspect, more hideous than belongs to humanity, instantly informed that it was the wretch, the filthy demon to whom I had given life."
I'm actually a bit embarrassed @Tundra Tiger . I got this picatinny rail thing all wrong. This rifle is one of those abnormalities in that it ejects from the top... An AK47 style side-mount and optic will be more functional in this case. Added bonus, it'll nicely cover and protect those gold inlays. Wouldn't want to give your position away anyway.

The tacticool fore end would only make sense if you'd use it to install a harris bipod. For long range precision shooting, that might actually make sense.

On a more serious note, if your government does not allow you to own semi-automatic rifles (or is very difficult about it, then perhaps the "tactical lever gun" is the next best thing. Just saying.

Regardless, the pic rail is a must!

Before continuing down the rabbit hole of being snarky, I really must say that that is not just a beautiful rifle, but a piece of American history. From a provenance perspective as well as an artistic perspective, that rifle is one of a kind. I hope whoever bought it treasures it as much as I would.

Cerekote….

On a serious note, I understand there are "legitimate" reasons. I believe maybe there are some states that such rifles ARE a lawful answer to that particular question? So yeah, I get it. I just think they are not a very pretty thing. Again, just my opinion.

Cerecoat FDE and some of that old school camo stock tape would assure that even the most savvy gun thieving hood rat would pass this rifle by! Always leave a hipoint in plain sight as the American hoodlum levitates to such a “gat”.
P.S. I’m with ya on the tactical lever gun if the Duke was still around he may have to make a movie called Waynebo and it would work perfect in that role! I’m still a proponent of if I can’t have my HK91 then I’ll just fire off a couple shots in the air like ole Joe says and wait for the police to get there to arrest the crooks that will no doubt still be there frozen in fear of old Betsy knowing I mean business.

I will definitely give you 381.68 for it. Hell for you I'd give 400.00 :LOL: :A Outta:

So I did a little Internet research. $400 in 1921 has an inflation-adjusted value of about $6,400 today. It goes without saying that you’d play heck finding a gun of equal quality for $6,400 today.

Yeah, well Mary Shelley needs to leave Townsend's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen "particulars" out of her writings. "to whom I had given life and was now pointing his .35 Whelen rifle at me". LOL JUST KIDDING Bob!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.