Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA
So as it turns out the people you spoke too before your first trip were right ; you can't go and hunt Africa only one time. Was your second trip to get the trophies you did not get the first time or did you have a new list of things you wanted to hunt? Combination of the two? Did you go someplace new or return to the same area and outfitter you hunted with the first time?

My second trip was back with same outfitter and PH. First trip was all plains game, second went for Cape Buffalo, Sable, Nyala and Springbuck adding to what I didn’t get first trip. PH and me hit it off great and have become close friends. If you really enjoyed your first trip go back with same ph. If not try someone else. But go as many times as you can. Life is short and you never know when you may not be able to go due to health or other circumstances.

I’m in the same position. Interested in responses since I’m itching to get back!!
My 1st trip I got excellent representative examples of the staples - Kudu, Nyala, Sable, Gemsbok, Zebra, etc. all in RSA. No interested in upgrading those - yet!! Would like a wild hunt for Cape or some of the Tiny Ten (I know, two extremes).

I went back to SA but with a different outfitter in a different part of the country. 2 reasons, to see a different area and for some different PG options. After that I started planning for DG in SA and ultimately other countries.

We had our first trip/safari past April. It surpassed all our expectations. If we return (which we hope to) it is largely because there were a few activities I would have very much have liked my wife to be able to do, but were not available at that time due to Covid, etc.
Also, while there (southern Eastern Cape) we became aware of local activities/festivals that we would love to see. We have a modest house with limited space for critters, so really I am not too concerned for adding more, but I would definetly like to add a gemsbuck and blue wildebeest. Our first thoughts were for a change in outfitter strictly to allow for a change in scenery, but with back thought we were so pleased with the attention we got we would try to stay with the same (Kingsview Safari).

My first four safaris were primarily for Cape buffalo, all in different countries; Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique and South Africa. On my fifth safari I finally went on a Plains game hunt tracking eland in the Kalahari (Botswana).

I have very little interest in driving around in an attempt to spot game. My primary interest is tracking hunts. Of those, I have found elephant the most challenging, although eland are right up there.

I like to see other parts of the continent, so I've hunted different areas and countries only for that reason. There's just too much land to see. The terrain, the people and cultures, the animals, the weather, etc., all vary. While the animal list is the big factor on selecting my PH and the area that holds them, just seeing different parts of Africa plays an important part in my selection process.
Some will hunt with the same PH year after year because they love the PH and how they were treated. I can see that, case in point, my last trip. It was awesome, no complaints, and I'd have no issue hunting there again and I highly recommend them to others, but my desire to hunt another area and my research in that selection process will lead me to another 'awesome' PH that will provide the same great experience.
It would be easy to choose your PH if there were only two or three great ones out there, but the problem is, there are hundreds of them. And for us, that's a great problem to have. :cool:
Good luck in planning your next trip, enjoy the process, it's all part of it, and you'll learn more and more with each one you do.

First trip was in Kenya in 1974. I knew that I was determined to return again. I initially only wanted to hunt in Kenya once every five years or so. Because I considered Kenya to be THE PLACE for aspiring hunters of African game. Of course, Kenya banned hunting in 1977. So I decided to broaden my palate and my second trip was in Tanzania. I was determined to try my luck for a Kudu and an elephant bull. I‘m glad I did that. After that … Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, Uganda and Cameroon followed (but not in that order).

I still consider Tanzania to be a hunter’s heaven. Once every ten years or so, I try to go on a 30 day full bag safari in Tanzania with the family.

My first was a buffalo / plains game hunt in Mozambique, my second was a hunt in the Eastern Cape for plains game, a hunt I probably wouldn’t have done on my own. I went with a friend that figured it was his last trip and wanted me and my wife to go along. Very happy I did, wouldn’t exchange those memories for anything. My third was a trip was a single minded venture for a roan and a few other plains game. With all of that said my once in a lifetime hunt would be in CAR with Lefol Safaris for LDE, bongo, and everything else he offers OR a trip to Tanzania with enough days and money to kill a 45+ inch buffalo.

I want to go somewhere different my first trip was awesome and I accomplished what I wanted to but seeing somewhere different is what I will probably go with. Also shooting some of the animals I didn’t the first trip. I also would not mind bow hunting. I already know what I want on my list so i have that planned already. I actually pretty much already know what outfitters are on my list of possibilities. Looks like though it may be 2024 before I book the next trip.

I have really enjoyed hunting with most of my PH's over the different hunts in Africa. I think I've been over 7 times and hunted with 10 different outfitters. I've been looking at different areas as well as different species. I know some continue to hunt with the same PH. I have one that I've hunted with 2 times, otherwise all new ones. I like seeing new areas. Be aware that you don't have to hunt with just 1 company when you make the trip over. Hunt with 2 different companies in 2 different areas. Perhaps one is your first PH. Don't be afraid to broaden your horizons.
Bruce

I was and still very happy with my first trip to SA. The outfitter and the PH were fantastic people.
The problem however, there are so many good outfitters and PHs and different areas to know and see. Which will open new doors and opportunities.
For example I met a PH was visiting the camp, he is licensed to hunt the royal antelop.
I will try other areas and countries, but one day I will go back to that first place which started this love to African safaris

I'd highly recommend at least go see a different area if you want to stay with the same outfit. I have gone 5xs with 4 different outfits/PHs. Unless you know you'll go 10+ x's over your life, why see the same places twice?

I went back to SA but with a different outfitter in a different part of the country. 2 reasons, to see a different area and for some different PG options. After that I started planning for DG in SA and ultimately other countries.
that sort of what I did, wanted to see a different part of Africa so we went to the East Cape the second time and as it turns out we will be seeing KMG again but this time in the Karoo.

Our intent was to go back to Zimbabwe to hunt with the same PH on our second safari. Unfortunately, he was killed by a Cape buffalo. I then decided I wanted to see other parts of the continent. So, our second safari was to Mozambique. Both hunts were for Cape buffalo as primary and plains game secondary. I would hunt again with the PH in Mozambique, but I really want to hunt the Caprivi and see Victoria Falls. I a bit of wanderlust I guess.

Having been to Africa only 3 times, I'm definitely not ready to call anything a once in a lifetime hunt. Not sure I'll be satisfied with 20 trips, if finances and health permits. While I do enjoy shooting some of the PG animals, my main focus has always been Cape Buffalo. And now that I've shot an Elephant this year, it will probably be on my priority list on all of my hunts to come. I honestly don't see how I would ever want to book a trip without at least one of those on my list.
That said, once I went to Zimbabwe this year, it really turned out to be more than a hunting trip. Just seeing how the people live there, and getting to interact with them was a big part of the enjoyment.

My second trip was back with same outfitter and PH. First trip was all plains game, second went for Cape Buffalo, Sable, Nyala and Springbuck adding to what I didn’t get first trip. PH and me hit it off great and have become close friends. If you really enjoyed your first trip go back with same ph. If not try someone else. But go as many times as you can. Life is short and you never know when you may not be able to go due to health or other circumstances.
I did what you did…PG first then DG second. For my third taking second Buff, elephant and lion

My first and second trips were decided for me. I was 13 and 15. Both to same outfitter/area and took some new species each hunt.

Now, Nearly every time I have a great first hunt, I immediately rebook with same outfitter but for a different area (most important) and a few new species. I have hunted with one outfitter three times, but I’ve found the first hunt everything is new to you, the second hunt you know what you want and have a better hunt than first, the third hunt is too routine. As much as I enjoy hunting with certain PHs and outfitters, I generally think twice is maximum then time to move on to a new PH and outfitter to get a new experience. As much as I would like to think of them as friends, a hunt is still a big financial investment on your part and there is lots of Africa to see. I learn something new each time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!