Your favorite hunting rifle of all time

This can be a very tough question to answer depending on the day and the mood I'm in, but my most frequent answer would be this heavy-barreled FN 1952 in .270 Winchester fitted by my late father with a nice Walnut stock and a Timney trigger that I installed after inheriting it from him. The current optics are a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8A 2.5-8X, but I have plans for upgrading that in the next few months. I'm still doing a hand load workup using Hornady 130gr. SST's and IMR-4451 powder, and to the point of figuring out the right seating depth (currently getting about 3/4-1 MOA). This rifle fits me very well, and just feels perfectly at home in my hands.
FN_1952_270_19546_1.jpg

Apologies if this has been done before.
It's a tough question to answer when you start thinking about it, particularly if you've hunted for a few years and owned a few rifles.
I:ve had some fine wood / blued classic hunting rifles including Sako, Heym and Varberger. But for me, it's my Winchester M70 Extreme Weather 30-06; an uncommon rifle in the UK, but I love the reliability, accuracy, balance and smooth action. Another major bonus is it's ruggedness, whether I'm in the heat and dust of Africa or on a Scottish mountain in the snow and rain.
378 mark 5

Model 1956 Mannlicher (30-06). I retired it now and just admire it when I’m in the mood to handle a firearm made of across the board quality. Likely the smoothest action ever made. I can tilt the front end of the rifle down just a bit, and it slides into a closed position (extraordinary!). My WWll K98K Mauser runs a close second. The Mauser action is likely the strongest and best action ever designed. But like I usually respond when asked about my favorites or best : it’s hard to have favorites or consider something the best with so much variety.

My favorite is still a Winchester 94 in .30-30. I have a scoped .30-06 and a .375 H&H, both of which will take game I could not take with the .30-30, but the old Winchester is still the go-to rifle in my truck when confronted with hogs, coyotes or other pests. The rifle also has some sentimental value as it was a Christmas present from my stepfather that I received after he had died.

My favourite rifle ? A hard choice between my Mannlicher Schonauer stutzen in 308 or my TT Proctor, a Mauser action barrelled in 7x57.

My favourite rifle ? A hard choice between my Mannlicher Schonauer stutzen in 308 or my TT Proctor, a Mauser action barrelled in 7x57.
Great choices. Haven’t had my 7x57 long enough yet to elevate it to most favored status but my 1905 MS is definitely there.

#1 favorite is my Rigby Highland Stalker in 30-06. It has quite a few extras added such as upgraded wood, bolt peep sight and CCH in all the right places.

Others that have become favorites through the bonds of hunting are:
Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby
Merkel 141E double in 9.3x74R
Merkel K3 in 30-06

Safe hunting

I have lots of rifles in lots of different calibers but if I had to pick just one of my guns I’d probably keep my Winchester 70 extreme weather 30-06.

My favorite hunting cartridge is 8x57, I have 3 rifles chambered for it, 2 Mauser sporters with 318 bore and a model Burno
I have never shot a 8x57 before, do you reload for it ?

My favorite hunting cartridge is 8x57, I have 3 rifles chambered for it, 2 Mauser sporters with 318 bore and a model Burno
I’m still trying to figure out how a 30-06 guy like myself has ended up with three 8mm rifles; especially that they have equivalent performance. 8mm is one of the original metallic cartridges and is still practical . Funny, I’m considering getting a Sako85 chambered in it.

Hello,

I really have two right now...leaning to the last rifle I got, the one I used the least. But it fit me like a glove! Like everything about it.
Here they are:
1- Mauser (1935 Argentine Mauser-Werke action AND original military stock sporterized) in 7x57 with a SIG military barrel shortened at 60 cm.
2- BRNO ZKK 600 (1967) in 9,3x62.

6.jpg
8.jpg
Depto-012.jpg
Depto-013.jpg
P1030561.jpg
P6231956.jpg
P6231957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellow Hunters,

My favorite hunting rifle is my Brno 602 Magnum, caliber .375 H&H.
It looks identical to Clodo Fierreira’s two bottom photos, shown in his post, just above my post here now.
Well, except that my scope is a little different.
Mine is a now sadly discontinued, simple and rugged Zeiss 4x, (in Alaska Arms lever rings as well).

If I was stuck with but one rifle to wander willy-nilly over the earth with, my described Brno .375 would be the one.
Clodo, your 7x57 is also a very fine looking rifle, much to my liking.
Great minds think alike.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!