Your favorite hunting rifle of all time

I didn,t take the revolvers-pistols or new rifles still in boxes out, just too much work. I have two grandsons who help on the once a year cleaning-wipe downs, and reward them with a thousand .22 shells each and let them pick the .22 rifles they want to shoot them in.

If I had to pick one rifle as my favorite people will laugh. It's not big or flashy. This is my favorite because every time I handle it it brings back memories of why I love hunting so much and enjoy rifles of every kind. The joy of remembering the times spent with my dad learning to shoot and our time together make rhis my favourite. My eyes have aged hence rhe red dot. Every time my son uses it also brings the memories back. I hope he will enjoy these memories with his dad when he is teaching his son one day. I have other rifles and great memories of hunts wirh them but none that evoke the same feelings.

20200201_135450.jpg

The rifle is an old single shot Anshultz that has to be cocked each time and the butter knife bolt handle was put on by dad because it was broken when he got. He was an armourer in th RAAF at the time.
Hopefully people will understand my reason for my choice. The old girl doesn't see much use now but still comes out now and then to rekindling why I love hunting so much.
Cheers Bob Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an easy question for me. My dad gave me a Remington 700, 243 when I was eleven years old. It was my first deer rifle. At some point in its life it had a beautiful
Walnut stock, but not now. The bluing leaves much to be desired as well. It was given to me topped with a Redfield tracker scope and that's still what it wears today.
It is in the corner next to our garage door ready to be picked up at a moments notice. Now I'm not bragging but I don't know how many deer and coyote, fox and ground hog
that rifle has killed. Never kept count. I wouldn't take ten thousand dollars for that rifle!! My son doesn't hunt and my daughter will only turkey hunt with me so
maybe a grandchild?
kevin masters
I fully understand you hopefully they will change their minds.

I wouldn't trust myself in the Rigby shop.
Tooooo much temptation...and I'm a sinner.
BeeMaa
If you couldn't trust yourself in the Rigby shop don't go into the H&H shop in London unless you have a big cloth with you. You will need it to wipe the drool off your mouth and the tears out of your eyes. I know I did. I looked at a Royal double in 600 nitro but you could have it in any caliber for a miserly £ 250,000. It's nice to dream as we say in OZ a champagne diet on a beer income.
Cheers mate Bob

Currently my Sako AV in 300 win mag, but that could change.
Small game hunting is a Sako quad in 17hmr that is just amazing.
Actual favorite is my grandfather's model 64 winchester deluxe in 30wcf. It rarely comes out anymore depending on weather. And a poor choice for hunting where I now live.

I truly love my CZ550FS in 9.3x62 as it is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and I love Mannlicher or stutzen stocks. But my absolute favorite is my 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56. When I shoulder it the sights are already aligned. It shoots where I look without conscious thought. Plus it is a hundred years old next year and is just plain beautiful. One gun I will never give up.

I had a Ruger M77 in 270 Win that was an extension of me.it Was The original version with the tang safety (I may be the only person on earth who preferred the old push-feed action over the upgrade mkII)
You are not the only one who prefers the older tang safety M77's I have one in 30-06 with aperture sights and love it

You are not the only one who prefers the older tang safety M77's I have one in 30-06 with aperture sights and love it
I have a model 77RSI in 250-3000 with the tang safety. It was my favorite rifle until I got my Mannlicher-Schoenauer. It is actually a full 1.5 lbs heavier but it is a joy to carry and very handy in a tree stand. Plus it is in the ultimate classic deer caliber 250 Savage.

Hey guys,

This was my absolute favourite hunting rifle of all time...

It's a Winchester M70 in .458WM.
My favourite rifle in my favourite cartridge.
Everyday I regret selling it...

However it is some consolation that the new owner uses it very regularly in the NT of Australia and has dropped many, many, large Scrub Bulls with it and has told me he is very impressed with how effective it is (y)

Cheers,

Russ

rIH2qUU.jpg

Attachments

• rIH2qUU.jpg
    rIH2qUU.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:
Russ, is that my old rifle? I wrote a story somewhere on here about a wounded buffalo I had to sort-out with it.

Yes it is Ben!

I actually felt bad mate when I read about all the work you had to do to it - and a few of us bought it and reaped all your hard work!

I can honestly say, hand on heart, everyday I regret selling it... and there’s no chance of buying it back! Steve loves it! And man, he’s smashed some animals with it...

Russ

Don’t feel bad, mate! These things happen. That rifle was a good friend for a brief but significant chapter of my life, and got me out of trouble twice. I had to sell it to pay some repair bills on my ute, to enable me to move out-bush. A lot of good things have happened since moving out-bush, and hopefully in a few months I’ll have another .458WM, but this one on a Mauser action (my favourite action).

Among the fire arms that I own :
FB_IMG_1575727193927.jpg

>My " Old Belgian " - Used for snipe, dove, quail, pigeon, hare, crane , Teal , Common Sheldrake , Greylag Geese , kakar deer , Bengal Bush Boar , cheetal deer , Asian Sloth Bear , Indian River Crocodile , foxes , civet cats and man eating panthers .
IMG_20200413_222745.jpg

> My " Voere " - Used for dove , hare and pigeon on bait .

Among the fire arms that I have personally seen :
IMG_20200103_001444.jpg

>BRNO ZKK 600 chambered in 7×57 mm Mauser calibre .

>BRNO ZKK 602 chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre .

> Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre .

> Sporterized Enfield Model 1917 chambered in .30-06 Springfield calibre .

I have 3, my dad’s Winchester model 70 (30-06)that he bought in spearfish South Dakota in the mid 1950’s, my remington model 700 (7mm rem mag) that I used from 1979 until a few years ago that I’ve used in 5 states and 2 countries and now my ruger Alaskan that I’ve used in Alabama, Mozambique and RSA (375 Ruger)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg