Your favorite DG scope reticle?

the rifle is made by Montana Rifle Company and looks to be based off a scaled up Winchester M70 action. it will be a little while longer before it shows up but I will write a review on the gun when it arrives.

-matt

the rifle is made by Montana Rifle Company and looks to be based off a scaled up Winchester M70 action. it will be a little while longer before it shows up but I will write a review on the gun when it arrives.

-matt

Did you go with the DGR or the SCR?

i order the DGR with the blued barrel, they run $1950 + shipping which is possibly the most reasonably priced 505 Gibbs on the market!

here is a factory picture:

the gun appears to be modeled after the Winchester M70 but scaled up to handle the large cartridge.

-matt

Attachments

• DGR11_zps4b145d93.jpg
    DGR11_zps4b145d93.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
i order the DGR with the blued barrel, they run $1950 + shipping which is possibly the most reasonably priced 505 Gibbs on the market!

here is a factory picture:

the gun appears to be modeled after the Winchester M70 but scaled up to handle the large cartridge.

-matt

Beauty !

looks great , I look forward to your review on the rifle and thought process on the 505 caliber over calibers like the 404 and 416 Rigby which I know you are a fan of.

thanks Velo Dog, i will very likely have the gun restocked at some point to fit me better and perhaps use some nicer wood. but in the mean time i hope to find someone to install a couple stock spacers to make the gun useable for me as the LOP is going to be too short from the factory. im a big fan of the Winchester action and the 3 position safety lever is easily my favorite type of safety for a hunting rifle (i do not like CZ's safety).

bassasdaindia, I do like those 416/404 calibers! I have already promised myself that no matter what I will always own at least one rifle in one of these chambering's. if I decide to part ways with my 500/416 NE double I will replace it with either a 404 Jeffery or a 416 Rigby. i would even consider a 416 Remington if i could find a nice rifle for a good price. a 400gr bullet at 2300fps is both enjoyable to shoot and delivers a healthy dose of energy.

-matt

bassasdaindia, I do like those 416/404 calibers! I have already promised myself that no matter what I will always own at least one rifle in one of these chambering's. if I decide to part ways with my 500/416 NE double I will replace it with either a 404 Jeffery or a 416 Rigby. i would even consider a 416 Remington if i could find a nice rifle for a good price. a 400gr bullet at 2300fps is both enjoyable to shoot and delivers a healthy dose of energy.

-matt[/QUOTE]

matt as a matter of fact I am having 3 position safety's installed on my CZ's 375,404 and 416 in a couple of weeks time,i will post a picture in my 404 jeff thread once completed.

that's not a bad idea at all, I should have that done to my 375 H&H. one of the major downfalls I noticed while packing my 375 H&H around the woods was the safety snagged on brush and would come off safe.

-matt

I have thankfully never had that problem , I just prefer the function and look of the 3 position safety

they are not cheap, however I love these 3 CZ's of mine and I have built them all identical so I would rather keep them all the same.

that's not a bad idea at all, I should have that done to my 375 H&H. one of the major downfalls I noticed while packing my 375 H&H around the woods was the safety snagged on brush and would come off safe.

-matt

Word of caution - I've had the same thing happen with my 3 position safety on my model 70. Harder to do I'm sure, but it can certainly be done!!!

I really like the look and heft of the DGR. Unfortunately for me it isn't made in the .458 Lott that I'm looking at, so it will be the AVR for me. I'll just add some weight to it if need be. The only thing I don't like about either of them is that front sling stud. I wish they had put on a barrel band, especially on the DGR. Cost savings I guess?

Matt let be know how the rifle works, I had Montaina build me a 425 WR 3 years ago, nice rifle but I had a few issues with it. Now that I have it working it shoots and functions great.

thanks Velo Dog, i will very likely have the gun restocked at some point to fit me better and perhaps use some nicer wood. but in the mean time i hope to find someone to install a couple stock spacers to make the gun useable for me as the LOP is going to be too short from the factory. im a big fan of the Winchester action and the 3 position safety lever is easily my favorite type of safety for a hunting rifle (i do not like CZ's safety).

-matt

Matt85,

I'm 100% with you (and many others here) on the 3 position Model-70 type safety.

IMO, it is the only real improvement ever dreamed up for the 98 Mauser (most reliable hunting rifle in the history of the world).

All the other "improvements" appear to be nothing more than cheaper ways to slam out thousands of rifles with as little time and steel invested as possible .

In other words; not really "improvements" at all but instead they are definitely "shortcuts" in manufacturing.

Out,
Velo Dog.

spooksar, what kind of issues did you have?

thanks
-matt

I had to beat the bolt open. They used lots of loctite on the barrel, cleaned that up and still had a problem. I live in Canada So I took it to my local smith and he new what was wrong right away. The company that imported it for me made good on the repair. The bolt wasn't fitted just right.

thats certainly not good to hear! im glad the importer paid for the repair.

my biggest concern for the gun will be reliable feeding. the large round nose or flat nose bullets often used for these cartridges require absolutely perfect feed angles or they will jam often. thankfully the Montana Rifle Company provides a lifetime warranty on these rifles.

-matt

thats certainly not good to hear! im glad the importer paid for the repair.

my biggest concern for the gun will be reliable feeding. the large round nose or flat nose bullets often used for these cartridges require absolutely perfect feed angles or they will jam often. thankfully the Montana Rifle Company provides a lifetime warranty on these rifles.

-matt
I haven't had any feeding issues with it, like I said now that it's working its a good rifle.

No scope for me. However, I use EOTech XPS3-0 Holographic (not to be confused with Red dot systems) sight on my DG rifle. Works perfectly and is not affected by recoil. I will be using it for Elephant and Cape Buffalo in Zim starting Sept. 12. One advantage is not having to close one eye, and unlimited eye relief. I actually have it mounted in front of the receiver. It also has 20 levels of daylight settings.

Tanks, in close range fast shooting situations I like both eyes open as well. that's why I went with the 1-6x24 with a firedot. with the 1x power and red dot I can use the scope like a standard red dot sight rather then a scope. but should I want to take a shot a little further away I can still get some magnification.

-matt

I thought about a 1-6x scope as well for my .500 before I went with the EOTech. I just did not foresee ever needing magnification as I doubt I would ever take a shot over 50 yards (more likely <25 yards) with my Elephant/Cape Buffalo/Hippo rifle. Now, with my .416, I do have a 2.5-10X illuminated scope for Cats and PG.

I like simple duplex for a scope and any low power Leupold will do, I seem to have cornered the VIII market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois