Your favorite 2 rifle and 1 shot gun combination

Interesting choices. As l am writing your choice down , on my note pad to use in my next article , l can see that you are the only person who listed a .458 Winchester magnum , Co Elk Hunter
Major Khan,
I haven’t hunted anything with my .458 yet. But I really enjoy shooting and becoming more proficient with it using open sights. There are surely better caliber choices available, but this is what I have for now. With the 450gr Barnes TSX at 2240 fps, I would think it would kill a buffalo sufficiently with a well placed shot?
Did anyone list a .458 Lott for DG?
CEH

Last edited:
I tried to edit last post but ran out of time.The 375 H&H were used on buff and croc in SA and Moz and for moose and brown bear in Ak. The 300 H&H was used for PG in Africa.

Really not surprising I see the majority of dg rifles are 375HH and shotguns are Rem 870. Both classics.

Major Khan,
I haven’t hunted anything with my .458 yet. But I really enjoy shooting and becoming more proficient with it using open sights. There are surely better caliber choices available, but this is what I have for now. With the 450gr Barnes TSX at 2240 fps, I would think it would kill a buffalo sufficiently with a well placed shot?
Did anyone list a .458 Lott for DG?
CEH
Oh , my . I can't count that then.
I will start the count in a few hours for the article which l will be writing tonight . Then , l will see if anyone listed a .458 Lott

Dangerous game --pre64 Mod 70 375 H&H--300 gr swift a frame. --pre 64 300 H&H 180 gr Nosler partition and I only have 16 and 20 ga sxs LC Smith. The 375 and the 20 ga I have used for over 50 years each in Africa and Alaska.
It recently came to my knowledge that the Winchester Model 70 was ever made in .300 Holland and Holland magnum . How does it compare to the .300 Winchester magnum?

In my limited experience, hardly to tell difference.
Same diameter of bullet, apprx same velocities. bullets up to 220 grains.

300h&h has more of "african apeal", though - at least to me.
300 win mag easier to get ammo in local shops.

In my limited experience, hardly to tell difference.
Same diameter of bullet, apprx same velocities. bullets up to 220 grains.

300h&h has more of "african apeal", though - at least to me.
300 win mag easier to get ammo in local shops.
Thank you , Mark Hunter

I have two ways to go with this. I have two Ruger No.1's in 450/400 nitro Express and 30-06. I also have a 375 Ruger Alaskan and a 300 RCM in a model 77 compact. Both are stainless steel. For the shotgun I have an old Richland 12 ga. With 30in and 26in barrels. What I would take would depend on what and where I would be hunting and PH recommendation.

I have two ways to go with this. I have two Ruger No.1's in 450/400 nitro Express and 30-06. I also have a 375 Ruger Alaskan and a 300 RCM in a model 77 compact. Both are stainless steel. For the shotgun I have an old Richland 12 ga. With 30in and 26in barrels. What I would take would depend on what and where I would be hunting and PH recommendation.
For calculation purposes , l will use your first choice.

For european hunts.
12ga, over under shotgun.
Boars and heavy game, rifle, 9.3x62
General purpose rifle, 30-06.

If i let my imagination go free, 3 gun battery for full bag, old fashion african safari would be.
Shotgun 12 ga, over under.
Double rifle 470 NE.
Bolt action, mauser 98 system, 375 h and h.
But except for shotgun, other two i dont have (yet).

For european hunts.
12ga, over under shotgun.
Boars and heavy game, rifle, 9.3x62
General purpose rifle, 30-06.

If i let my imagination go free, 3 gun battery for full bag, old fashion african safari would be.
Shotgun 12 ga, over under.
Double rifle 470 NE.
Bolt action, mauser 98 system, 375 h and h.
But except for shotgun, other two i dont have (yet).
Congratulations , you are the last person whose count l am using for tonight's article , Mark Hunter

Congratulations , you are the last person whose count l am using for tonight's article , Mark Hunter

Thank you, Sir.
Looking forward to it!

I'm in the process of switching over my collection to the Blaser platform so please forgive me.

Blaser R8 300WM with 180 grain Swift A-Frames.
Blaser R8 416RM with 400 grain Swift A-Frames.
Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 12 gauge O/U with ejectors.

I would also be very willing to substitute the CZ550 platform in the above calibers, provided they had an AHR #2 upgrade.

I'm in the process of switching over my collection to the Blaser platform so please forgive me.

Blaser R8 300WM with 180 grain Swift A-Frames.
Blaser R8 416RM with 400 grain Swift A-Frames.
Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 12 gauge O/U with ejectors.

I would also be very willing to substitute the CZ550 platform in the above calibers, provided they had an AHR #2 upgrade.
It is a privilege to hear your input . If only l received it 3 hours earlier , l would use it in my calculation. However , doing the rough calculation , it would appear that the supporters of the .400 series have now beaten the supporters of the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre by 1 hunter .
11 hunters ( as of now ) opted for the .375 Holland & Holland magnum.
12 hunters ( counting yourself ) have opted for the .400 series .
How fascinating.

However , doing the rough calculation , it would appear that the supporters of the .400 series have now beaten the supporters of the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre by 1 hunter .
11 hunters ( as of now ) opted for the .375 Holland & Holland magnum.
12 hunters ( counting yourself ) have opted for the .400 series .
How fascinating.
Looking fwd to see the results.
My preliminary guess is that it may be related to rifle choice?
Bolt action preference on 375HH, double rifle choice in .400 eseries?

another option I would consider would be:

A custom built double by Verney Carron, with three sets of barrels

500 NE Ghost ring rear sight
375 H&H Flanged NE Ghost ring rear sight and qd scope fitted
12ga 3" with 5 interchangeable chokes

would pretty much cover everything in one gun case

That is a fascinating and innovative combination , IvW . I have personally really been attracted to Krieghoff Double barrelled rifles for quite some time now .

Unfortunately , l have already used your previous decision to make the vote calculation for my article on this site , " Shot placement versus bore size " which l finished writing yesterday.

Apologies slight detour ...but lvw i was thinking only the other night how much a round body VC with .450 NE barrels. .9.3x74r barrels. ..7x65r barrels and 20 bore barrels would cost......ahhhh....dreams. ...or more likely hallucinations. ..:D:D

To answer the question though. ...three rifles and a shotgun would be easier. .....but for this question i would have a 275 Rigby using 175 grn nosler partitions...next a .416 Rigby using 400 grn bear claws and sledge hammers....shotgun either Remington 870 with 20 and 26 inch multi choke barrels. .or my Benelli m1super 90 with 18.5 inch iron sight multi choke barrel and 8 shot mag tube with extra 26 inch barrel. ...

To answer the question though. ...three rifles and a shotgun would be easier. .....but for this question i would have a 275 Rigby using 175 grn nosler partitions...next a .416 Rigby using 400 grn bear claws and sledge hammers....shotgun either Remington 870 with 20 and 26 inch multi choke barrels. .or my Benelli m1super 90 with 18.5 inch iron sight multi choke barrel and 8 shot mag tube with extra 26 inch barrel. ...
Oh , my . With your vote , the .400 series voters have now surpassed the .375 Holland & Holland magnum series voters by 2 voters .
By the way , these are excellent choices.
Any particular preference as to the make and model of your rifles ? John Rigby and Co. perhaps ?
The reason l made it 2 rifles and a shot gun was to force posters to have to vote for 1 plains game rifle and 1 dangerous game rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross