Your advice please

The 338 Lapua is longer than anything I would be reloading, COAL = 3.681" Wouldn't be able to load a 470 NE, but that isn't an issue for me, but is something to consider. The RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme lists a ram stroke length of 4", which I guess suggests it can handle cartridges with a COAL of 4".

From another source of info:

I load for 338-416 Rigby Improved, 416 Rigby, 500 NE 3 1/4” and 505 Gibbs on a RockChucker Supreme press. The latter 2 cartridges have 1” die bodies and the large opening is very adequate for all cartridges listed. Even the huge 505 Gibbs has heaps of room to place a bullet atop the case mouth prior to seating it. I had a Redding Big Boss II and an RCBS Ammomaster, both had handles that were too long and cumbersome, giving me back problems using them. Sitting too far away from the press was the problem.
The original RockChucker is rather limited in the opening size for the Lapua, even loading 375H&H on mine was a chore. I got plenty of pinched fingers loading that case on my original RockChucker.

The need to be able to reload for the 470 NE is why I suggested the Rock Chucker Supreme for Charlie. At 75 I know that I will not be purchasing a 470. But you are a little too young to make a similar prediction.

stick with IMR4831 105-108 grs FED215 primers no fillers needed and
bullets hornady DGX DGS EXCELLENT FOR BOTH ACCURACY AND PENETRATIONS
2 CAPEBUFFALO AND ONE GIANT WATER BUFFALO .

I think trying to use one powder is going to frustrate you more than it will do good. Keep a good manual such as Woodleigh, Nosler etc handy, stick to the old practice of never having more than one powder on the bench, and the rest on the shelf, keep good notes per calibre and you are good to go.

H4350 is a safe option, but a 400gr .416 bullet is going to leave that 20” Ruger barrel at a pathetic velocity after allready compressing the load.

Either H or IMR4350 should feed the .470 and .300 well, and something between 4895 and 4064 will do the same for the .375 and the .416.

Obviously all of them will be happy to have a Fed215 as the bang button...
I completely agree! I know CAustin and he is going to want top performance. I have 5 powders that should do optimally for me for my 275, 375 and 470.

The need to be able to reload for the 470 NE is why I suggested the Rock Chucker Supreme for Charlie. At 75 I know that I will not be purchasing a 470. But you are a little too young to make a similar prediction.
Great choice on your Rock Chucker. It loads my 500 NE like a breeze

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois