Your advice please

Hello Guys;

If OK with you I would like to seat in the chair next to CAustin Charlie's at the africahunting.com Reloading School 101. Can I please join and ask a few questions?

For context I do not intend to run big batches of ammo at this stage. If I really get into reloading I will later add a progressive press for high volume pistol or .223 ammo (the 5 kids consume a staggering amount ;-), but in the mean time I would like to start with hunting rifle ammo (.243 to .470). In terms of equipment, I would rather buy right than buy cheap then buy twice, but I see no real point in spending more money than necessary to get the right quality equipment.

1) Chronograph: I already have a Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph that I have been using to clock the factory ammo I use.

2) Press: I know zilch but the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme seems perfect. Great reputation. I too need to go up to .470 NE. Other priority candidates are .340 Wby, .257 Wby, .416 Rigby, .458 Lott, and my two boys' 7 Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag (although the PPU ammo for these two is so good and so cheap that there is less motivation).

3) Dies: I would have intuitively gone with RCBS dies on the superficial reasoning that if RCBS is "IT" for the press, then one would assume they have good dies too (?). What is it to prefer between the various brands? Why Redding over RCBS or Hornady for example?

4) Trimmer: same question; what is it to prefer between the various brands? Why Forster over RCBS or others?

5) Powder measure: I notice that Shootist43 Art does not address the subject. Is it because you recommend buying a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit that comes with a scale and powder measure?

6) Do you guys use a powder measure or do you weigh each and every charge? In either case, what it the best method / tool, and what is it to prefer between the various brands?

7) Scale: similar question; a mechanical one comes with the kit. Do you guys use mechanical or electronic scales? Which one? What is it to prefer between the various brands?

8) Powder trickler?

9) Priming: I notice that the kit comes with a hand priming tool. Not sure why since there is a primer arm on the press? Do you prime on the reloading press or by hand or on a separate primer press? Why?

10) I am speculating that the answers to the questions re. scale, powder measure, and priming tool will give the answer to whether one should buy the kit or individual components.

11) Case tumbler?

We will deal with powders in a second step... I suspect I will keep it simple. I spent that last 40 years shooting exclusively Federal Premium and Weatherby factory ammo loaded with Nosler Partition, and they shot well enough in all my rifles. I suspect that the foreseeable future will be focused on Barnes TTSX for the fast calibers and TSX for the DG calibers, and I have a stock pile of 750 DGS and DGX (yep, you read right: 750; 15 boxes !?!?!?) that came essentially free with a set of RCBS dies with the .470 Kreighoff. One of the variables for powder will probably be the various calibers, but I am not chasing 1/2 MOA reloads. Like sgt_zim I have long come to the conclusion that 1 MOA is plenty good enough for hunting purposes. Heck! it is better than what I can shoot from most field positions anyway...

Phoenix Phil Phil when the time comes, are you OK to become my local hands-on mentor (I am in Flagstaff)

I know 'a little bit' about shooting or hunting ;-) but I an a complete beginner with reloading. So, please do not hesitate to be candid about the 'whats' and 'what nots,' I need your advice.

Thank you all in advance.
Pascal

PS: I do not see on your various benches a cigar ashtray. Any specific place you would recommend? (OK just kidding LOL)

Among other things, one of the better reasons to use Redding carbide dies is not having to use case lube when sizing. On straight wall cases like your 470, too much lube on the brass can cause the brass to get severely dimpled when run up into the sizing die. I ruined quite a few 45-70 brass before I got the hang of how much lube to get on them.

I personally weigh every. single. cartridge. that goes on my press. However, that's for hunting loads. I'm about to start running through a lot of .308, so I'll probably be buying a powder thrower for that. I only have about 1000 .308W cartridges in my vault, and I'd like to have about 10X that amount. I prefer digital to balance beam, but to each his own with that.

For hunting cartridges, I don't generally run through more than about 100 at a time, so the setup I have is more than adequate for that. I don't hunt with my 308. Dillon makes great presses, but if you're not planning on running through thousands of rounds a year, it's a difficult expense for me to justify presently.

I use RCBS, Hornady, and Lee dies. They all work fine. Pay attention to the crimp, especially for your "thumpers." Getting bullet setback could ruin your day.

If you are going to load .470 NE, be very careful what you buy.

Many presses will not handle the beast (due to length).

When I started loading 470, I bought one of these as I could not do 470 on my RCBS:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/845765/lee-classic-cast-50-bmg-single-stage-press-kit

Very happy with the press. I now also use it exclusively for 450/400 Nitro as well.

I also had to purchase a 50 BMG chamfer tool. My standard Lyman was really maxed-out trying to do the 470 cases. I actually ruined a few when the outside chamfer tool got catty-wampus.

Attachments

• Screenshot (383).png
    Screenshot (383).png
    240.7 KB · Views: 252
If you are going to load .470 NE, be very careful what you buy.

Many presses will not handle the beast (due to length).

When I started loading 470, I bought one of these as I could not do 470 on my RCBS:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/845765/lee-classic-cast-50-bmg-single-stage-press-kit

Very happy with the press. I now also use it exclusively for 450/400 Nitro as well.

I also had to purchase a 50 BMG chamfer tool. My standard Lyman was really maxed-out trying to do the 470 cases. I actually ruined a few when the outside chamfer tool got catty-wampus.

Rock Chucker Supreme will handle .470NE. You have to work a little to seat bullet, just push up into did a little and then back down to brass.

Yep Rockchuckers work as described then I upgraded to an RCBS AmmoMaster for the NE stuff. Can use 7/8", 1" or 1.25" or 1.5" (change the top plate) die sets as well. Got it when they were cheap (~$145 bucks) about 10 years ago.

IMG_1126[1269].JPG

Last edited:
The Lee press works well with the 450/400. Looks like the 470 would work too.
IMG_20181202_141358.jpeg

OneDay, I see that some of your questions have been answered, but I'd like to add a couple of my own responses.
I load the vast majority of my reloads on Dillon presses. Currently I have 4 of them. But Charlie needed something to use on 470(s) hence the Rock Chucker Supreme. Early in my reloading "career" I bought a number of RCB die sets. I had trouble with their 35 Remington. When I called Dillon and asked about it they said that dies primarily designed for use on single stage presses did not always perform well on progressives. Their suggestion was for me to use either Dillon or Redding dies. I made the switch and never looked back. As far as the Forster case trimmer goes, it will handle the 470(s) while most others will not. Personally I use a Lyman but I don't own anything larger than a 404 Jeffery and a 416 Rigby. I really deliberated on the powder throwing device. Normally I use the charging system on Dillon's presses. But when I'm developing loads I use an AMT Electronic Powder Dispenser but it is no longer available. That I why I recommended the RCBS Charge Master. Every load gets weighed automatically. Another reason for going to an Electronic Powder Dispenser is that my Dillon(s) measure flake powders i.e. Winchester 760 and 748 (for use with rifles) extremely accurately but less so with stick powders. There is also the issue of the larger volumes of powder required. My recommendations to Charlie are those things that worked for me. Like someone mentioned earlier after a person starts reloading some of the equipment he started off with will get replaced by others more suited to his liking.

Tim, your Bald Eagle Priming Press is the most robust priming device I've seen. Up till now, I've been using the priming capability on one of my Dillon presses or a Lee hand primer. Except for having to load primers one at a time I see no short comings with it.

Tim, your Bald Eagle Priming Press is the most robust priming device I've seen. Up till now, I've been using the priming capability on one of my Dillon presses or a Lee hand primer. Except for having to load primers one at a time I see no short comings with it.

The really sweet thing about the Bald Eagle priming tool is that it has detents on the collar that secures the shell holder. Each detent gets you 0.002" of further seating of the primer.

And yes, it would get tedious for the volume loader.

I do everything on single-stage presses anyway (just ask my friends...they constantly harass me about it!), so the Bald Eagle is right up my alley!

Edit: come to think of it, I have done some 300 round batches of 45 Auto with the Bald Eagle, and my twitch didn't get worse...so I guess it will do in a pinch!

I think Alliant's 2000MR is very similar to Hodgdon's CFE223 and Ramshot's Big Game. My son uses 2000MR in his 9.3x62 and I use CFE 223 in my 9.3x62. Same bullet almost same load and speed. When I run the numbers on QuickLoad for different calibers that I use, CFE 223 and Big Game are usually very close in charge weights and velocities. I am currently working on a promising load for the .375H&H with 300gr NFSS's with Big Game.

From what others have said about 2000MR and the .416 Ruger I think 2000MR would be worth the risk trying it in the .375H&H. From what I see in the manuals something like Alliant's RL25 or H-1000 would work well in the .470NE and the .300WM depending on the weight of bullet used in the .300WM.

The only concern I would have with using 2000MR is he is new to hand loading and there is not a lot of information using this powder with these calibers.
I use CFE 223 in 308 Win it’s a mod burning powder slower than Varget. I too have 9.3x62 what load do use with CFE 223 in the 9.3x62 ?

I use CFE 223 in 308 Win it’s a mod burning powder slower than Varget. I too have 9.3x62 what load do use with CFE 223 in the 9.3x62 ?
It's 250gr TTSX @ 3.291"oal with 62.2gr's CFE223. I am getting around 2,500 fps average.

It's 250gr TTSX @ 3.291"oal with 62.2gr's CFE223. I am getting around 2,500 fps average.

I have some CFE 223 that I use in a 308 Win.
It’s a very high energy powder. I just acquired a 9.3x62 and trying to get some new load data.
What brass and primer are you using?

I have some CFE 223 that I use in a 308 Win.
It’s a very high energy powder. I just acquired a 9.3x62 and trying to get some new load data.
What brass and primer are you using?
Lapua brass and CCI200

Any updates?

@Shootist43 has been nudging me to get back into reloading. With a 375 Ruger and now a 404 Jeffery to feed, reloading makes sense.

I grew up reloading with my Dad and we had a RCBS Rock Chucker. I've looked at some videos and the RCBS Summit looks intriguing. Anybody using this press?

Will this press load all of your current and possible future calibers? The video mentioned the largest caliber it would handle is a 338 Lapua.

The 338 Lapua is longer than anything I would be reloading, COAL = 3.681" Wouldn't be able to load a 470 NE, but that isn't an issue for me, but is something to consider. The RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme lists a ram stroke length of 4", which I guess suggests it can handle cartridges with a COAL of 4".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg