You be the Judge! Caliber Question

And the old Whalen makes an appearance!
@Tra3
You and @BeeMaa must love those R8s. For less price than an R8 barrel he could send the 270 off to JES and have it rebored to 35 Whelen and still have a bucket of money left for the finer things in life. Like hunting.
Bob

@Tra3
You and @BeeMaa must love those R8s. For less price than an R8 barrel he could send the 270 off to JES and have it rebored to 35 Whelen and still have a bucket of money left for the finer things in life. Like hunting.
Bob
True! There are a couple dozen rifles in my safe that haven’t been hunted with since I got an R8. We end up collecting rifles until the ideal one is found. The Kimbers and M70’s in my safe are excellent, just not as perfect as the R8.

I agree that one would not go wrong reboring to a 35 whelen. I’m looking forward to hunting with the 9.3x62 this fall (about the same as the whelen, no?)

BUT I thought the 9.3x62 was Mjolnir and Gungnir combined! Or is that the 9.3x74R?
Nope. Those would be the 700NE and 950JDJ.

Looks like I’ll be sending the 8x68s off to a gunsmith to have a gentry safety and Swaro Z3 installed. Then we will see how it shoots!

It’s also time to dust off the bow and gain an extra two months of season

Heh. I could have sworn it was this site where I keep reading of the wonders and prowess of the 9.3s, maybe it was some other one that I don't know how to get to...
@freefall
Not much on the prowess of the 9.3s but PLENTY on that magnificent cartridge the mighty 35 Whelen. Load it properly and it will amaze. 225s at 2,900fps, 250s at 2,700fps, 275gn at over 2,500 fps and 310s at 2,400fps. Now that's power
Bob

Well somehowI missed this thread.....yup you need to go buy a nice 9.3x62 ...then don't need any of those other rifles...get some solids and perfect for the turkey as well...there you are finally sorted :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:
@spike.t
I think @freefall might be better off with a real cartridge like the 35 Whelen instead of one of those 9.3s.

If it were me, put the 1.7-10 on that 300 H&H FN and go for it!

However sir, you have the excellent "excuse" to buy a new firearm!

What you need sir, is a drilling!

I would recommend something in 8x57r or 7x65r (Shoot a bullet you like out of that and it'll work on your game) and you can use the 16g for the Turkey (Or put slugs in it if you want to back up the rifle barrel. 16g Brenneke slugs do good / bad things to game inside 50 yds, I can assure you).

But, whatever you choose, enjoy your shooting!

@mark-hunter any thoughts?

Scrummy

@mark-hunter any thoughts?

Why me? Moose is not my prey, but...
But, on a second thought, you know what they say? "I am not a gynecologist, but I can take a look!"

My reasoning is this:
Distance up to 300 yards. (long range for me)
Body mass, large - elk and moose

So what do wee need?
As flat as possible trajectory, and preferably a premium bullet, as heavy as possible.
And to be ready for second shot, if need be, if animal stands up after first hit - this means bolt action, not a single shot rifle.

By that reasoning - the choice is obvious, I see two options.

Choice 1. -FN 300H&H, Meopta 1.7-10, TTSX 180 grain

Choice 2. Mauser Actioned 8x68s- with a scope on the existing EAW mounts, plus 200gr A-Frames loaded from Norma.

I would prefer 2nd choice, provided it gets the proper scope. (8x68 was invented with purpose to be the best, uber caliber in the World)

However Merriam turkey, remains without options of suggested riflery.

Two, points.
Not sure about accuracy at longer ranges.
Secondly. good ones, cost.

Heh. I could have sworn it was this site where I keep reading of the wonders and prowess of the 9.3s, maybe it was some other one that I don't know how to get to...
Now who is stirring the pot? The 9.3x62 gets short shrift but is the original classic African caliber. Turns out it works pretty well here in North America too! Gun rags label it a short range round but when loaded with 232 grain Norma’s it stays within 4” of the 30-06 out to 300 yards. That is range tested not out of some calculator.

Mea culpa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross