Yet another "What guns?" question

RolandtheHeadless

AH enthusiast
Joined
Sep 3, 2015
Messages
253
Reaction score
317
Media
1
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Going on two back-to-back safaris next June, and have to make up my mind on which two rifles to take. The first safari, I'll be hunting plains game on the Eastern Cape, and the next I'll be hunting buffalo and sable in Zambia.

The outfitters need to know what firearms I'll be bringing. The candidates are:

- Bolt-action .300 Win Mag with 2.5x8X scope.

- Bolt action, controlled-round feed, .416 Rem Mag, with 1.5x5X scope.

- Bolt-action, push-feed, .375 H&H, 2.5x10X scope.

- I suppose I can also consider a single-shot in either .30-06 or 280AI, but probably won't

Originally I planned to take the .300 Win and the .416, the latter being used only for buff. But in the event of a hardware malfunction, the .300 couldn't back up the .416, but the .375 could. Any advice?
 
I would take the 416, more so for the scope you have on it. Also take the 300 Win Mag. Check with your PH ahead of time and see if he rent/loan a back up 375 or larger, in the event your 416 has a hardware malfunction.
 
Bolt-action, push-feed, .375 H&H, 2.5x10X scope will do the job all round - take the 416 with as backup if you can just incase something happens to the 375.
 
I'd take the 300 Win Mag and 416 Rem Mag.
 
I would take the 416 for buffalo, as long as you shoot it well. The 375 is adequate, but the 416 will make more of an impression. Then it's a toss up and depends on whether you like the 375 or 300 winnie more. It is a remote possibility that the 416 will malfunction and the PH will, in all liklihood, have something to rent/loan. Might want to confirm the latter.
 
Hi RolandtheHeadless,

If you were hunting all of your Buffalo/sable/PG in typical Zambian/South African "bushveld", I'd just say:
Take the .416 and use it on all species ("Beware the man with only one rifle").

However, since you will be hunting the open geography of South Africa's Eastern Cape for your PG leg of the safari, my vote is:
Take the .300 with 180 to 220 grain Swift A-Frames (especially if eland is something you might be looking for) or any premium bonded core bullet, (on the heavy side, since the Winchester shoots even heavy .30 bullets very flat) that shoots well.
And perhaps it goes without saying but, no matter what else you do, definitely do take the .416 for Zambia.

Meanwhile, don't forget the AH pizza party at my place in less than two weeks now (for Saturday Oct-24th, around 4:00 PM).
If you can make it there, I look forward to meeting you in person.

Best regards,
Paul (Velo Dog).
 
Last edited:
416 and 300. The chances of hardware problems are slim. Especially if using Leupold scopes and you take proper care of your rifles before you go. Just practice with them to be sure they are good to go and it will also help your shooting.
 
Stuff the guns!!!!!
Just take me !
Sounds like an awesome trip .
 
you are going to love Zambia .....
the 300 and 416 would definitely be my choices........
next time im in Zambia we are doing a buff , too
look foreward to your report when you get back
 
Have to agree with the 300 and 416 suggestions. Best of both Worlds, heavy hitter that can do it all if need be, and a long range shooter that still hits plenty hard on everything it is legal on. Of course you can never go wrong with a 375 as the bet all around caliber that can do anything in Africa.

If you are hunting springbok or anything else where to may need to reach out over 300 yards, the 300 will be invaluable. Yet if you take some 250 grain or so hot loads for the 375, it will do fine as well, even on longer shots. Of those 3 calibers, you cannot go to wrong by taking which ever two YOU like best and shoot really well.
 
375 could/would do it all.... Unless you just want to take 2z
 
South of Kafue National Park.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

hi @RolandtheHeadless dont forget something warm as late june it will be freezing early morning on the vehicle, and cold at night and you will be sat on the :A Camping: in the evening :E Big Grin:. is it mulobezi or sichifulo you are going to?
 
300 WM and 416 rem will be perfect .
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,286
Messages
1,571,703
Members
169,399
Latest member
JulianePon
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top