Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Never seen this before-.25-06 brass but the headstamp says .30-06.
6C94EDFC-B17A-48E6-8ED7-76A978C1713A.jpeg
DF09A220-146A-44A4-B227-A85D7B4D4D0F.jpeg

yup somebody resized 30-06 down to 25-06....

I bought a couple hundred of them used-glad I sorted them by headstamp. Fully agree with you and feel foolish that I didn’t come up with the answer myself!

I have around 500 that are the same way.

Gotta say I'm not wild about the idea of brass saying one thing but sized for another. I can see accidents happening . . .

You are not going to have much of a problem shooting a 25-06 in a 30-06 with the 25 caliber bullet rattling down a .30 caliber tube. But it could get real bad quick shooting a 30-06 in a 25-06.

My problem is that I shoot a few round that don't have any factory cases available so they have a different head stamp than what they really are. This is where you have to pay attention to what you are shooting and what you are shooting it in.

I know this is much different, but I was once shooting upland birds and one hunter accidentally put a 12 and a 20 gauge shell into a double shotgun. The 20 didn’t fire, so he opened the gun, couldn’t see a shell, assumed he’d forgot to load, and tried to put a 12 in. Can’t quite recall how he figured out what had happened, but we were pleased he didn’t pull the trigger on the 12 with a 20 in the barrel.

A 30-06 won't chamber in a 25-06, so it wouldn't be a problem. the problems come in where the bullet is bigger than the bore but small enough to chamber Cartridges such as a 270 necked up to 7mm likely fall into that category. It's best if the head stamp does match what the cartridge is.

A 30-06 won't chamber in a 25-06, so it wouldn't be a problem. the problems come in where the bullet is bigger than the bore but small enough to chamber Cartridges such as a 270 necked up to 7mm likely fall into that category. It's best if the head stamp does match what the cartridge is.
But, a 25-06 will chamber in a 30-06.....

FWIW................30-06 to 280 Rem no prob, 270, usually unless Rem brass used, but 06 to 25-06 I always neck ream or run into problems. Be careful. In some rifles the thick brass pinches the bullet when chambered, and it doesn't like to let go..........................FWB

I bought a couple hundred of them used-glad I sorted them by headstamp. Fully agree with you and feel foolish that I didn’t come up with the answer myself!
Initially I assumed you had bought new and they were a factory mistake.
It's no surprise people resize .30-06 to produce .270, .25-06 and wildcats.
It's wrong to sell these to you as .25-06 without a clear description that they are resized/necked down cases.

On the shotgun side of things, I once grabbed my pouch of 12 ga shells to head out bird hunting.

I loaded up and when I went to chamber a round it jammed, it took me a while to clear it and when I looked at the shell it was a 16 ga. Now don't ask me where a 16 ga shell came from since I don't own one and none of my friends own one either. The scary part was that the shell was the same color as my 12 ga ones were, green.

I don't lose many but I often wonder if anyone at the range who picks up my 20 Practical brass (.223 Rem necked down to a 20) and tries to reload it with a .224 bullet figures out why it's hard resizing and seating the bullet. Same goes for the 22BR.

30/06 to 270 ok.
30/06 to 280 rem very dangerous.
reason being that 280 has 0.050 longer headspace than 30/06 or 270.
bruce.

30/06 to 270 ok.
30/06 to 280 rem very dangerous.
reason being that 280 has 0.050 longer headspace than 30/06 or 270.
bruce.

Good to know.
And more reason people should not onsell similar without a full disclaimer of what is actually being provided.

One of the more difficult for me is making 280 Rem from 30-06
IMG_9599.jpg
mil brass.......I started doing this a half century ago when mil brass was free but 280 brass non existant.....not for the new reloader.....have to make the false shoulder noted above..... with brass is in short supply lots of reloading challenges. Bruce is right, this can be a PITA...............but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 25-06 brass shown bu op with a little case prep...........FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross