Would you like a Cigar?

66F78784-AE03-4B55-BCAA-60B33F6EDA59.jpeg

2 new ones on the docket:

Alec Bradley Kintsugi
Southern Draw Kudzu

Review to follow

It’s a Cuban Bolivar kind of evening. :)

5F2685F0-49AB-45B3-BE26-236CE13077D3.jpeg

There’s truth in that!

The reviews:

A&B Kintsugi (from the maker)

“Kintsugi is an elegant, multifaceted medium bodied cigar created by second generation cigar makers Alec and Bradley Rubin. Alec & Bradley Kintsugi pays homage to the ancient Japanese artform of joining together ceramics with gold lacquer-making them even more beautiful. Cigars, like the gold lacquer, are a bonding agent- bringing people from all walks of life together.

Alec & Bradley Kintsugi cigars were created to celebrate camaraderie. Available Fall 2020.

Wrapper: Honduras (Trojes)
Binder: Honduras/Nicaragua
Filler: Honduras/Nicaragua”

**My opinion: This was a fun/interesting cigar. Flavor notes were all over the place (in a good way). Primarily coffee & hazelnut, with some baking spices thrown in. Retrohale was good. It strikes me as a great breakfast smoke.

Kudzu (from the maker):
“Our "original blend" cigar that invaded the South, elegant, classic and sophisticated.

Wrapper: Habano Oscuro , Ecuador
Binder: Ometepe , Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua & USA

Notes:
spice, charred oak, coffee and cocoa”

**My opinion- an easy, anytime of day smoke. I get some coffee/cocoa. Mostly just a balanced medium smoke with a nice leathery texture. Only negative, I didn’t like the retrohale.
It’s outta Texas (sorta - It’s from Austin ;)), and it’s veteran owned

Nothing wrong with some swisher sweets in the duck blind, golf course, or camp fire after a hunt. Rather spend my money on more hunting or better whiskey

Ah, but there lies the rub @Anthonyt42. Hunt a great woods hole for ducks, and you start wanting nothing less. Hunt Africa, and suddenly backwoods TN seems like slumming. Smoke a truly good cigar, and the old Swisher Sweet somehow becomes a memory long forgotten. Don’t get me wrong, I pulled over many times at a gas station when I ran out of true cigars and bought a five pack of Backwoods or Swishers, but down the road I always have buyers remorse no matter how bad I was jonesin. Heck, I remember smokin in Zambia a 50 count box of Philly Blunts the PH had when I ran out of cigars. My fingers and lips were orange from those things. But damn grateful he had em I can assure you.

Nothing wrong with some swisher sweets in the duck blind, golf course, or camp fire after a hunt. Rather spend my money on more hunting or better whiskey

Ah, but there lies the rub @Anthonyt42. Hunt a great woods hole for ducks, and you start wanting nothing less. Hunt Africa, and suddenly backwoods TN seems like slumming. Smoke a truly good cigar, and the old Swisher Sweet somehow becomes a memory long forgotten. Don’t get me wrong, I pulled over many times at a gas station when I ran out of true cigars and bought a five pack of Backwoods or Swishers, but down the road I always have buyers remorse no matter how bad I was jonesin. Heck, I remember smokin in Zambia a 50 count box of Philly Blunts the PH had when I ran out of cigars. My fingers and lips were orange from those things. But damn grateful he had em I can assure you.

I wish I could taste all of the complexity that cigars have to offer. I love tasting my way through a fine scotch or mezcal, and I am quite the "foodie." While I enjoy cigars, I just cannot manage to wring out all of the depth of flavor that I know is there, even on more expensive ones. I wonder if smoking cigarettes for many years ruined it for me.

I wish I could taste all of the complexity that cigars have to offer. I love tasting my way through a fine scotch or mezcal, and I am quite the "foodie." While I enjoy cigars, I just cannot manage to wring out all of the depth of flavor that I know is there, even on more expensive ones. I wonder if smoking cigarettes for many years ruined it for me.

Possible @Saul on the cigs. Having never smoked a cig, I can’t say what effects that might have to the pallet. But I do believe like, whisky, wine, good food, discernment comes with experience. Many moons ago you could give me a $2 cigar or a $10 cigar and I would be hard pressed to tell you which was which. Not any more. Just comes down to thousands of cigars smoked and the pallet learning to discern the pleasurable nuances.

I actually participated once in a corporate cigar launch tasting by CAO. This sounds great, right? Not really. Well, we smoked 5 different cigars over 4 hours. Nothing to drink but sparkling water. Had to cleanse our pallet between each cigar with an unsalted saltine cracker. Just one. During each smoke, by thirds, 1st,2nd,3rd the length of cigar, we had to fill out a page or two on taste, experience, burn, etc, etc. By the last cigar I just wanted to go home. Not sure my professional engineering exam was that intense. However, I did learn a lot about the subtleties of taste as after each cigar and our report was turned in, they would tell us what flavors the tobacco blend should have generated at each stage of the cigar.

EP Carrillo New Wave corona

I was looking forward to this one as it was advertised as a short mellow creamy smoke. The foot smell and initial flavors indicated it was going to go that way and was quite enjoyable for the first couple puffs. Then it went all spicy red pepper / cumin. About 1 1/2" in and it was all I could take. Bummer

Sometimes the end of a tough week requires a little Salvation.

The Salvation Cigar, by Black Label trading Co. $10.00
A buttery smooth Ecuadorian Sun Grown Habano wrapper, with Honduran & Nicaraguan fillers. Notes of smoky wood, cocoa/Chocolate, and a peppery spice on the finish. Reminds me a little of some of the Diesel blends by AJ Fernandez..
IMG_20210730_163106410.jpg

Satan decided to drag his sack to Tucson this summer. Broke a long standing record with 7.97 inches of rain in July. In 2020 we had a total of 4.17 inches for the entire year.

It's been muggy, and the skeeters have been hatching, but everything has been greening up nicely with a the moisture.

Satan decided to drag his sack to Tucson this summer. Broke a long standing record with 7.97 inches of rain in July. In 2020 we had a total of 4.17 inches for the entire year.

It's been muggy, and the skeeters have been hatching, but everything has been greening up nicely with a the moisture.
For reference for everyone else, the annual rainfall is like 13” on a normal year. Sh!tton of rain.

Glad monsoons showed up, sorry it’s flooding. My truck is still missing a fog lamp from driving through AZ floodwaters back in 2012.

Brent, how did you like the King Is dead? I enjoyed all of them.

Tonight I’m smoking something definitely out of what I normally smoke. Scrounging through all my humidors I found this cigar, Nuevitas Jibaro by Tatuaje. Great little smoke with hints of nutmeg, coffee and spices. I’d say medium blend, not my usual full body cigar I’m used to.

25A38816-FC87-47A6-BE94-C8CF0634F3C2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg