Woodleigh reloading manual?

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Question, Wwhat Woodleighs would you use in a .375H&H?
Same tactic soft with Hydro as back up or in cover or is will the .375 be a bullet act differently due to different class. I need to know before I start stocking up on supplies

I think the Woodleigh protected soft points. 300 grain Woodleighs should be excellent. Atm I’m using 300 grain nosler partitions but after firing them all I’ll reload w the Woodleighs.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Screen shot of Woodleigh.375 offerings and with some ADI Powder behind them let the fun begin.
9877143A-E109-44C6-B8E6-4B5E5664409F.png

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
I use the soft nose data for my hydros. Same bullet weight, or close enough 9416 Rigby 410 soft and 400 Hydro) I find in my 416 Rigby and 375H&H they have the same point of impact at 100mts and the Hygros are about 100FPS faster. Note, in the 375H&H with 300grain Hydros I use AR2208 as I can not get enough AR2209 in and 2209 is what I use in my 375 and 416. Same with the 225 grain weights in my 35Whelen and 338/358RUM. I have not tried this with 303 or 30cals yet.

I use my 416Rigby on pigs for the hunting practice. I use cheaper softer Bertram bullets for the pigs. They still have the same point of impact as the Woodleighs. Have not tried Bertram's in my 375.

Certus

AH veteran
Reaction score
Yep, the Hydros use the same data as the softs, no worries.

Hey Ben,

So if I have a load worked up for 440gr SN, maybe back off a grain and use the 450gr hydro basically same load? So 89gr for soft 88 for hydro ya reckon? 10gr bullet difference.

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
I reckon it would be fine. Check with Geoff, but I’d bet on him saying to go for it! It’ll be a better option for your first buffalo hunt.

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
My mistake, I said the .375 data is not listed. What I was making reference to is the Hydros are not listed under .375H&H.
I have a clear and extensive email reply from Geoff McDonald about this.
In short he says
*They used the Soft Nose data when testing hydros so the data was not listed in the printed manual.
*Hydros generally create less pressure than the FMJ and the data for Soft nose is very close, However proceed with caution as always!

I was disappointed to find the Hydro data was not in my manual as I only planned to have this one big bore rifle chambered in this classic cartridge until some other Aussies here started banging on about their .416 Rem’s.

Being an Aussie I’m hoping to use the Aussie product supporting Australian business albeit barely rating as a consumer in this class.

I’m going to get a few projectiles on hand so I can practice and carry plenty of rounds if i do a trip up North. I’m not shy of shooting pigs with bigger rounds. Even locally it’s the cost of travel always outweighs the cost of Bullets.

I will get some HD softs and develop a load and some lighter softs for practice and local hunting.

Way late getting back to this. I load the Hydros using the same load as for their soft and I find the Hydros are about a 100fps faster. I put this down to less resistance-so less pressure as less bearing surface in the lands, they are a bore rider- but faster acceleration. In my 416Rigby, 375H&H and 358/338RUM I can detect no difference in felt recoil between the Hydro's and soft nose. The 416's are 10 grain lighter than the softs so this will account for some of the Velocity difference in the 416.

So how did you go?

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I have some there in the cupboard for when the time comes .
I’ve just used some PPU factory loads for fun
I have a few rifles and this one hasn’t had much use there is nothing big where I hunt.but I want to get some use sometime and pursue Buffalo in the future.
I don’t have a chronograph either so I’m at the mercy of manuals and looking for pressure signs.
It’s why I like being able to ask questions here.
Will re read full thread tonight, heading out early for work.

bowjijohn

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Strikes me that, in the right circumstances, they are a 'force multiplier'

Am in the process of load dev for both 9.3 and 404

Will be collecting info on MV, straight line and depth penetration on targets that comprise a mixture of wet paper, ply and ballistic gel

Comparisons with Nosler partitions, Weldcore RN SN, peregrine VRG1 and Hydros

Not scientific but an fun empirical study

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohammad99

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.