Winchester Safari Model 70 Serial Number

It looks like an FN rifle to me. Most new haven rifles have blued extractors and a folding rear sight. Also if you unscrew the cocking piece assembly, a new haven rifle will have coarse square shouldered threads, FN rifles will have fine tapered threads.
I’m guessing it’s a South Carolina FN.

This is what I think too. Post New Haven, pre-Portugal, so, an SC FN. . My late New Haven 375 had a stainless extractor and ERA rear sight, which is what this one looks like.

Hi Mike; nice rifle! You may recall that I recently picked up a preowned Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win from the Scheel's store in The Colony. The serial number on mine seems fairly close to yours (35CZX0xxxx), and has that same Olin Corporation writing on the left side of the barrel as yours does. Look at the right side of your barrel and see if it says "Made in USA - BACO Inc - Morgan, Utah" or something like that. I am pretty sure that mine was made by FN/BACO (Browning Arms Company) in 2013 at the plant in South Carolina (which I believe was their last year of production there before moving it to Portugal). If yours is similar, it is most likely an FN/BACO build from the South Carolina plant during the 2008-2013 era.

Clint, thank you!

I’m embarrassed to say that it does say BACO made in Portugal on the other side of the barrel. I read your post and went (stormed) back to prove it had nothing engraved on the other side of the barrel. I have looked and looked at this gun and never saw it. I wondered why it didn’t say Safari anywhere and had no writing on the other side of the barrel. Well it did. Facepalm. All I can say is that I must be getting old…

My apologies for the mis-information all.

8FC9295B-84C8-44CC-9E26-BDBD0938736E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Clint, thank you!

I’m embarrassed to say that it does say BACO made in Portugal on the other side of the barrel. I read your post and went (stormed) back to prove it had nothing engraved on the other side of the barrel. I have looked and looked at this gun and never saw it. I wondered why it didn’t say Safari anywhere and had no writing on the other side of the barrel. Well it did. Facepalm. All I can say is that I must be getting old…

My apologies for the mis-information all.
No sweat! Actually good to get to get to the bottom of it! If you take the barreled action out of the stock you'll see why the MOA trigger (post New Haven manufacture) is called a box trigger- with most of the mechanics enclosed in a "box".

Here is an original style trigger used in all M70s up until FN and the move to Columbia, SC. This one is in a late New Haven Win 70, ca 2000-2006

Win 70 trigger.JPG

Last edited:
I would bet that since Clint’s is marked Ogden and mine is Portugal, his is 35 and mine 36, that his is a 2013 and mine a 2014 when production moved. But just a guess…

I was apprehensive to trade because I really wanted an Alaskan and the featherweight was the second most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. But a Safari is hard to find and the craftsmanship seems exquisite. I hope I can give a glowing range report.

Thank you all for the help and forgive me for missing a key part of the puzzle.

I would bet that since Clint’s is marked Ogden and mine is Portugal, his is 35 and mine 36, that his is a 2013 and mine a 2014 when production moved. But just a guess…

I was apprehensive to trade because I really wanted an Alaskan and the featherweight was the second most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. But a Safari is hard to find and the craftsmanship seems exquisite. I hope I can give a glowing range report.

Thank you all for the help and forgive me for missing a key part of the puzzle.
Sounds about right to me. I would definitely bet that yours is a post-2013 Portugal gun (still made by FN; just relocated the manufacturing to Portugal). Since our serial numbers are relatively close, 2014 is a good guess. I know there are alot of mixed opinions in the Model 70 world about pre-64 vs. the various eras of post-64 rifles; but every opinion that I've heard from anyone who has actually owned one of the Portugal guns has raved about how good the quality is. Those folks have been making arms for a couple hundred years, so it doesn't surprise me a bit that they turn out such good product.

Side note: the MOA box trigger on my M70 Fwt. clocks in with a consistently crisp 3.0 lb pull every time (as measured by my RCBS trigger gauge).

Enjoy, and hope to hear a good range report soon! :)

Thank you all for the help, even if I can miss giant clues. Appreciate learning to take the bolt apart and about the different triggers.

Winchester customer service was incredible. Made in 2017.
I would not have guessed that our serial numbers are four years apart, but apparently so. I may have to call Winchester myself to confirm that mine is a 2013. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross