Winchester Model 70 Gunsmith

Thank you all for the advice. I’m confident and can do the bluing, but I would also like to do something with this stock. It needs checkering. Suggestions?

Bronze wool 0000 and oil. Proper cleaning. Premium bases to cover the bluing loss of rear bridge. ($50)

You also need the correct Lyman folding leaf for $35 and a correct stock for $200.

Presto, 90% condition gun. Don’t do anything else, all $s spent reduce the value.

Where can I get a correct stock?

Where can I get a correct stock?

Ebay. $200 if you watch closely.

You do not want to do any bluing. The second you touch that gun, you have nothing. Any "fully restored" scenarios delivers you a gun worth ~$500, even if you throw $1000 at it.

Right now, the gun isn't yet irrevocably ruined...but you're one decision away from owning a $400 action for a custom build.

Don't reblue. Clean with 0000 bronze wool and oil to remove surface rust.

Don't checker...that isn't the original stock or it has had its checkering removed. You need an unrestored, slightly worn original 1955 era stock.

Don't put the wrong folding leaf sight back. The correct one exists for $35 if you search.

Do put on good, and big mounts. I recommend Talley mounts or if you want to spend more, do EAW pivot mounts. It will cover the bluing blemishes on the bridge.

Fully cleaned with correct stock, correct leaf sight, and scope mounts put on it. (scope and rings not necessary) you will have a $1400-$1600 gun. Any "restoring" versus "conserving" will give you something near worthless. (parts for a custom build)

Labor, +$300-$500 in parts, = $1400-$1600 gun.

Restoration, + more bad decisions = Parts gun. Action worth $400, rest of it flea market bits to sell off here and there.

Looking very carefully at the bluing...you're at 90%-95% original blueing right now. Some wear at muzzle. Barrel is overall excellent. Wear on the action from the bolt rub...no biggie. Some wear to safety shroud and bolt knob. Wear on the trigger guard. Magazine floor plate is great. Lots of surface rust and grime will come right off 0000 bronze wool (not steel!) and lots of oil.

The only "unnatural" wear is where the scope mounts are. Cover it up with good mounts.

Cold-blue is a one-way path to ruining the gun's value. It will be inferior forever with a full re-blue also. The polishing will ruin all value.

There is nothing about this gun that pushes it outside of original condition quality at this point. The flaws can be covered or unraveled with parts.

If you don't like the gun, I'll give you whatever you paid for it right now. If you use cold blue or polish any items, I'll give you $250 for the gun. <--- tread carefully. If you want a custom gun, I'll buy this one and you can take the money, buy a good basket case and build a custom gun. You really don't want to deface an original 90% 1955 model 70 through any restorations.

Rookhawk,

Maybe you are seeing something I am not, but I am not seeing a 90% rifle there.

The pre 64' s are good firearms ,but that numismatic value that has been placed in them is finally withering away after the last 50 years of the "look what I have" crowd has taken the trip underground.

And in many respects their value is kinda in lockstep with Beanie Babies in that they would every now and then make one in very few numbers and the out of store prise rose to astronomical figures and many a " collector" peeled off hundreds like toilet paper to own one.

That rifle is not one of those weapons, never was one, will never be one.

It is a shooter and shooter only and nothing can or will ever make it a collector.

There were 10 stock " types" and many calibers.

This one is simply a standard sold in the Woolworths model.

The new owner wants the rifle to look somewhat better and that why I offered him to save his money and Brownell's the hell out of it and then oil it up.

The finish on the pre 64 got worse by the day on the standard model after WWII, the pre war was a different gun in many ways.

I know of no collector who would even consider buying it.

Rookhawk,

Maybe you are seeing something I am not, but I am not seeing a 90% rifle there.

The pre 64' s are good firearms ,but that numismatic value that has been placed in them is finally withering away after the last 50 years of the "look what I have" crowd has taken the trip underground.

And in many respects their value is kinda in lockstep with Beanie Babies in that they would every now and then make one in very few numbers and the out of store prise rose to astronomical figures and many a " collector" peeled off hundreds like toilet paper to own one.

That rifle is not one of those weapons, never was one, will never be one.

It is a shooter and shooter only and nothing can or will ever make it a collector.

There were 10 stock " types" and many calibers.

This one is simply a standard sold in the Woolworths model.

The new owner wants the rifle to look somewhat better and that why I offered him to save his money and Brownell's the hell out of it and then oil it up.

The finish on the pre 64 got worse by the day on the standard model after WWII, the pre war was a different gun in many ways.

I know of no collector who would even consider buying it.

I think after the work prescribed: full clean, 0000 bronze wool, new correct rear sight, mounts installed, and a period correct 90% condition stock, it will be worth $1400-$1600 at retail.

Here is one that is in "slightly" better condition for $1850 by a reputable seller. Compare/contrast finish. http://www.willoughbymccabe.com/d.php?gid=1899

And while not "new in box" collector quality, I'm a collector and I already extended an offer on the gun in lieu of restoration.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.53.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.53.16 PM.png
    790.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.53.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.53.19 PM.png
    897.2 KB · Views: 209
Yes!

I see you offered him what he paid for it.....what ever that was.

I have collected them for years and have many " new ones" in boxes, as well as many that are considered "rare" that I graded less than what you are calling that piece and they look pretty much well new

Of course ant polishing will detract from the numismatic value ad a collector, but it just isn't a collector....it s a shooter.
?
Being a collector yourself you remove scope bases before you buy a " collectors piece"...right? For a shooter who cares if it has 8' s instead f 6' s right? But would a collector really just blow off that some dummy ground under the bases on the receiver?

I sometimes get in pre 64's in worse and better condition than the op's rifle. Sure! Some guys want an arm and a leg for them and I politely say' " I'm just not interested" which normally solicits a "well what will you give me for it" and they are never happy when I tell them that '"If I wanted it......I'd give you $250 and if a President owned it....$$350".

Many take $300 and leave the gun that 20 minutes before they wanted a "G" for. And the reason? It's just a shooter.

What would I sell that gun for ten minutes later?

$400.00, a handshake and a smile!

If you've always wanted one, mount a scope and shoot it. If you like the way it shoots, have it reblued if you want....its your rifle now. Its never going to be an investment piece...and good for that rifle as it will be hunted with for many years to come. I personally don't think about the resale value of a firearm I buy to use, especially something that I have hopes to use on a hunt.

Make that model 70 yours and something you want to hunt with.

To the OP, how much do you want for the gun? That may dictate what you do with it. If you paid $200 and will never sell it, heck, do what you will. If you paid $550 or $1050, it’s a very different story if you don’t want to lose money.

To the OP, how much do you want for the gun? That may dictate what you do with it. If you paid $200 and will never sell it, heck, do what you will. If you paid $550 or $1050, it’s a very different story if you don’t want to lose money.

I’m pretty sure I overpaid.... $850 ...... always wanted a .300 H&H and got caught up in the moment.

I’m pretty sure I overpaid.... $850 ...... always wanted a .300 H&H and got caught up in the moment.

According to the flock, you did.

I think if you do everything just right, $35 sight, $200 vintage stock, $200 scope mounts, and some cleaning, you’ll be okay. You’ll have a collectible $1285 gun. I’m in the minority on this one, but I like my opinion better. :)

In the future, buy $450 basket case model 70s for custom builds, and buy $1400-$1600 95% condition model 70s to avoid some of this personal tension and tough decision making. :)

I have a 1952 in about the same condition as yours,,I opted to leave it alone

Flat 8,

OK! So what if you paid more than it was worth? You obviously wanted it and now it's yours.

Many times you will see pre 64's offered at one price and they most often go for much less.

The new 70's are in fact a better weapon and don't carry a ridiculous price tag on them generated by those who make up prices to suit themselves instead of actual mechanical value.

...kinda like old beaten to death fusty farm tractors.

But listen....all is not lost. Our good friend " rookhawk" so kindly offered you what you paid for it....,..if it were me, I'd take him up on it.:A Stirring:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,