Winchester 70 Stainless Classic 375 H&H

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
As some of you know, I bought this rifle a couple of weeks ago. Today, I finally got around to mounting a Leupold 1.5-5×20 scope, in Leupold QRW rings. All I can say is....this thing feels perfect! The synthetic stock isn't much to look at, but it's the perfect LOP for me, and has a very nice thin pistol grip. I just hope it shoots as well as it feels. Weight is 9lbs 3oz with the scope installed, but feels much lighter, due to the way it balances.
It also feeds as smoothly as any rifle I've ever owned. Very pleased so far!
20191020_171429.jpg
20191020_171500.jpg
20191020_171508.jpg

Let us know how it shoots when you have a chance.

Totally awesome TOBY458, these are great rifles. I own one in .300 Wby and gifted two in 7 mm Rem Mag to my two sons

IMG_2473.JPG

If I may make three suggestions:
  1. The addition of a $285 Bell & Carlson Kevlar stock with full length aluminum bedding block and pillars will take your rifle one step up the quality ladder. Beside being stronger and more stable, as you will notice from the above pic (my .300 Wby at the bottom has the B&C stock, my boys' 7 mm Rem Mag above it do not) the B&C stock has a little less drop at the comb. This makes the stock more in line with the axis of the bore, and results in a reduction in perceived recoil.
  2. A classic upgrade for your rifle is to replace the rear sight articulated and foldable blade with a fixed blade that cannot be accidentally folded (of course just when you need it, right?).
  3. I have also had the scope bases holes re-drilled and tapped to 8x40 screws (instead of the factory 6x48 threads). Once torqued in place with Red Loctite, the 8x40 screws are as close to 100% reliable as one can get, short of integral dovetails machined on the action. This is typically a $40 job ($10 per hole) for a real gunsmith (he needs to own a milling machine).
Heartfelt congratulations on a great rifle :)

As some of you know, I bought this rifle a couple of weeks ago. Today, I finally got around to mounting a Leupold 1.5-5×20 scope, in Leupold QRW rings. All I can say is....this thing feels perfect! The synthetic stock isn't much to look at, but it's the perfect LOP for me, and has a very nice thin pistol grip. I just hope it shoots as well as it feels. Weight is 9lbs 3oz with the scope installed, but feels much lighter, due to the way it balances.
View attachment 310687 View attachment 310688 View attachment 310690
Toby,
I went to the Tanner gun show in Denver today. One table had this same NIB rifle for $1,100? I had never seen one for sale in person. I didn’t buy it, but got the sellers info. Too much? Thanks!
CEH

A fine setup! Hope this one clears the empty cases better than your Sako!:ROFLMAO::LOL::eek:

Hmmm...just noticed no barrel band. That’s one thing I don’t like about my MRC.

I have a buddy who owns the same gun. Except for the mounts it is identical.
He lives in the Northern Territory of Australia and has shot over 30 buffalo with this gun.
It has been reliable and never given him any problems.
The only thing he did was have it epoxy bedded into the plastic stock and the trigger lightened slightly.
Sorry about the blurred face I did not ask him if I could post this pic.

upload_2019-10-21_10-52-8.jpeg

Toby,
I went to the Tanner gun show in Denver today. One table had this same NIB rifle for $1,100? I had never seen one for sale in person. I didn’t buy it, but got the sellers info. Too much? Thanks!
CEH
That is about the standard price for a .375 H&H in NIB condition in today's market. Typically $800 in as-new condition in more common calibers.
There are not a lot of them in .375 H&H so if you found The One, do not wait too long :)
I still think that you would be better served by a CZ 550 ;) but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the Win 70 is a good rifle :) aside from that really dumb foldable rear sight :( (what were they thinking!?! :whistle:).

Last edited:
That is about the standard price for a .375 H&H in NIB condition in today's market. Typically $800 in as-new condition in more common calibers.
There are not a lot of them in .375 H&H so if you found The One, do not wait too long :)
I still think that you would be better served by a CZ 550 ;) but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the Win 70 is a good rifle :) aside from that really dumb foldable rear sight :( (what were they thinking!?! :whistle:).
Yes, I just haven’t seen the Winchester in stainless before in person? I wasn’t really looking to buy anything. The only other .375 of ANYTHING I saw was an older Browning A Bolt, and this is a big gun show! Not ONE CZ rifle! LOTS of black guns though! Really kind of a waste of time for someone looking for a larger bore hunting rifle, but something to do here when the weather is nasty.

Yes, I just haven’t seen the Winchester in stainless before in person? I wasn’t really looking to buy anything. The only other .375 of ANYTHING I saw was an older Browning A Bolt, and this is a big gun show! Not ONE CZ rifle! LOTS of black guns though! Really kind of a waste of time for someone looking for a larger bore hunting rifle, but something to do here when the weather is nasty.
Next time you are bored run up to Ft Collins and check out Colorado Shooters, they usually have some pretty good stuff!

Next time you are bored run up to Ft Collins and check out Colorado Shooters, they usually have some pretty good stuff!
Thanks! My in-laws live up there, so I’ll check them out when I’m up there.

Toby,
CEH
I paid $975 for this one. Not new, but in great shape. NIB would definitely get a premium.

The REAL question, Gentlemen, is - now that Toby is getting excited about this .375 H&H Stainless Winchester, what will be put up for sale from his safe(s) in order to make room for this new favorite!?!?!?

I am watching the classifieds! LOL!!!!!!

The REAL question, Gentlemen, is - now that Toby is getting excited about this .375 H&H Stainless Winchester, what will be put up for sale from his safe(s) in order to make room for this new favorite!?!?!?

I am watching the classifieds! LOL!!!!!!
What do you have in mind?:sneaky:

Is that some sort of express folding sight? Curiosity is killing me. Is that an NECG creation also?

Is that some sort of express folding sight? Curiosity is killing me. Is that an NECG creation also?
It's a factory sight. Yes it does fold down. Most people don't prefer it on a DG rifle. Guess it depends on how much you plan to use the iron sights in heavy brush.

View attachment 310687 View attachment 310688 View attachment 310690

What a disappointment..... I thought the rifle was gonna be for sale....

:A Shades:

Wait a few minutes.
It's Toby and you just never know.

Wait ........for........it.........wait............

Toby’s gun auction will open soon enough!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg