Winchester 70 in .375 H&H - Are all of the Control Feed?

WisconsinKen

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hello everyone. I am in the process of trying to find a .375 H&H. I am confused beyond belief when it comes to the Winchester model 70. I know a pre 64 is a control feed. What about post 64. Some info I have read on the internet says Winchester made al their .375s as control feed, others say some of the .375 models over the year were push feed. Can someone tell me what specific models/years are control feed?

Post 64 classics are controlled round feed, as well as current production FN rifles, and as you said pre 64. The best way to tell for me is to simply look at the bolt.

WisconsinKen, The pre 64(s) are "kinda" pricy. The newer ones have "African Express" or "Safari Express" written after the Model 70. These rifles are generally about a "grand" on Gunbroker.

No, not all 375 model 70s are controlled round feed. Easy to tell by looking at the bolt.

I think it is safe to say select models. I have lots of Winchesters in various calibers made after 1964. All of them are push feed. Sometime back in the 90(s) Winchester began offering rifles through their custom shop in CRF. I don't know if all new Winchesters are CRF or only the 375 African and or Safari Express models are. You might try doing a "Google" search on the subject.

Yes to above posts
All pre-64 are CRF
During 1964 changed to push feed until the Classic CRF model intro'd in 1992
CRF from 1992 to 2006 (and all post New Haven, FN models to present)

So if made between 1964 and 1992 most all would be push feed including 375 HHs.
As has been posted, the easiest way to tell is just look at it or at a pic!

The only "wrench" in the push feed vs CRF design timeline of the M70 is the relatively short time it was made in what is called a "controlled push feed"- kind of a hybrid design.

Last edited:
The Pre 64 ones are Controlled Round Feed. The Post 64 ones are all pushfeed ( yuck ! ) . After 1996 , l believe the Control Round Feed came back for the Belgian Rifles.
I actually own a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .375 HH Magnum. It used to be my general use rifle until l recently purchased a MINT condition .375 HH Magnum BRNO ZKK - 602 with a 7 shot capacity.
The Pre 64 model 70 Winchester rifles are good guns , but it would be a slight exaggeration of the truth to say that they are perfect.
My Granddad used to own this rifle before me. He used it to take a Six ton Bull Elephant in Kenya in 1968 with a Shoulder shot using 300 grain Winchester " Solids " ( full metal jacket round nose bullets ) . The stock of mine has cracked and been repaired with plus minus epoxy and ( what l believe to be ) stove bolts .
Apparently , most of them would crack since they were not reinforced by crossbolts.
Also , mine needed to have the feed ramp extensively smoothed out , to feed soft point Ammunition properly with 300 grain A frames.
Also , mine shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
It's still one of my favorite guns though. I took 3 of my 4 Australian Water Buffalo with mine. My favorite kill was one where l took a Water Buffalo with a broadside lung shot using a 300 grain Kynoch Round nosed full patch solid . I would always opt for the lung shot whenever l used the old Winchester for Water Buffalo , due to the gun's large grouping and the fact that the lungs made a HUGE target.

Sometime around 1992 Winchester realized that in 1964 they stepped in a big pile of bean counter poop and redesigned the Model 70 with controlled round feed. I have a 92 built Super Express 458 that has CRF. I have a 375 H and H Winchester built by FN in South Carolina in 2010 before they moved production to Portugal that has CRF. I have several Pre-64 Winchesters , 308 and 30-06. For the money I think that the current FN Model 70's are as good or better than the Pre-64's. For what it is worth all left handed Model 70's I have seen or heard of are CRF.

Muddy Old Man

Mine is a 1992 model and is a push feed.

You could always get a Montana Rifle Company in 375 HH. They're all CRF.

As someone previously said.....just look at the bolt!

I have three LH model 70's - all are CRF and made post 1964. They are all labeled 'Classic' (7 X 57, 7mm RM, and .375 H&H), which is the later CRF Model 70.

Here is an example of the 3 bolt designs of the Model 70.

The-Winchester-Model-70-Pre-64-to-Current-Production-17a-numrich.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones made between 1965 and 1992 and push feed. Honestly, they made Remington Model 700s look like better dangerous game rifles in comparison.

The ones made between 1965 and 1992 and push feed. Honestly, they made Remington Model 700s look like better dangerous game rifles in comparison.
Not necessarily.
The early 64-67 models had some issues, but beginning in '68 and going forward improvements were made to make them a usually very good rifle. Look for a G prefix in the SN.
Now of course if CRF is the only method acceptable, then no amount of persuasion will change ones mind.
I will say this. I have two 1971 M70's, both PF of course and both are fine shooters. One, a .308 shoots like a match rifle and the other a .270 Win that will feed empty cases from the magazine and is smoother than a prom queens' thighs!:love:
I have CRF rifles that wont feed empty cases from the mag, check yours.
I also have a mid 80's XTR in .300 Hollands and it too is a great shooter with outstanding wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg