Win Model 70 XTR .338 Mag, Alaskan Statehood

I had this to the range yesterday. Rifle handles and functions perfectly and fits me very well, a pleasure to shoot it. Got it sighted in easy enough, first shot on the paper at 100 after a visual bore sighting. I had one box of handloads from a previous .338 project. Brand new barrel of course.:eek: Had some flyers, but seemed to want to shoot. Next to last group, 3 close and one out. Last group put 4 in just over an inch in the same place. Shows promise.(y)

And no I did not perform a so called "break in" of the barrel. I ran a pull through in the bore a couple of times and didn't let it get real hot, but that's it.

Upon returning home, I took it apart to assess how the hot glue factory "bedding" job was looking. One piece of it came out with the action, stuck to the bottom of the lug!:eek: That's just dumb!:( So after picking around at it, a few more small loose pieces came out so I got out the chisels and gouges and Dremel and it now sits with a new bedding job setting up. (y)

I sure did like the way it handled though, one of those rare factory rifles that just feels right in every way.:rolleyes: Smooth running, easy bolt lift. Trigger may need to be lightened some but its not bad now, a little heavy but no creep. Its easy to adjust an M 70 trigger.(y)

when you adjust the trigger, make sure the locknuts are tight.
don't ask me how I know this.o_O
bruce.

Ain't my first rodeo....;)

Nope, but I know enough to make sure my nuts are tight!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you