Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Here is the one I ended up with, real nice, but wood is not as nice as the one I was supposed to have, but oh well. Came with box which is pretty well beat up, sitting around since 1984! Rifle feeds real slick, even empty cases from the mag. And yes I will shoot this puppy!

IMG_5480.JPG
IMG_5473.JPG
IMG_5479.JPG
IMG_5475.JPG
IMG_5476.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations.

You may want to check the tightness on the crossbolts.
I've read that they have a tendency to loosen up sometimes.

Slick gat! Love the recoil pad.

I recomend a Leupold VX6 2-12X42 Firedot in easy-to-remove (not necessarily “QD”) rings.

Already mounted a new Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40.

Very nice congratulations
What are the plans for it?

Looks great! I picked one up when we lived in AK. They are harder to come by in the factory box nowadays. Glad you got your hands on one.

Oddly the ones I have seen of late all had the box. Mine is in rough shape though. There were about 5 of these on GB recently and I think only one or two now. One sold for $900, best buy but the wood looked a little wonky. Another guy wants two prices for his, good luck. The best looking one of all is the one I bid for but was actually long gone and the one shipped was downright boring! Back it went. I knew of the one I have now, but figured hell if I am going to spend big dollars for one of these may as well get the prettiest one. Right!:(
I do like this rifle though, fits and feeds well, good looking, should be a good shooter.

Great looking rifle!

Looks great! I picked one up when we lived in AK. They are harder to come by in the factory box nowadays. Glad you got your hands on one.
I really wasn't aware of these until just a few years ago. I lived in AK in the mid and late 60's, long before this rifle, and later when I spent a lot of time in AK while working on tugboats up there, I was too busy I guess.

I wonder if my Cabelas 50th annversary stock would fit. pretty fancy

My favorite make of rifle ( Winchester Model 70 ) in my 2nd favorite calibre ( .338 Winchester magnum ) . Is yours a pre 64 model ? Congratulations on the fantastic purchase !
Do you intend to have the stock re bedded , Sestoppelman ?

I agree that is a nice looking rifle, but as said previously check the crossbolts for tightness. The rear one looked loose, but it could be just the picture. I hope it shoots well for you.

Why? Don't you have a rifle in it?:confused::confused::rolleyes::eek:
No I actually bought it to try to make my Safari Grade Winchester look better but it was like putting spats on a Pig

Nice rifle!

My favorite make of rifle ( Winchester Model 70 ) in my 2nd favorite calibre ( .338 Winchester magnum ) . Is yours a pre 64 model ? Congratulations on the fantastic purchase !
Do you intend to have the stock re bedded , Sestoppelman ?
Thank you!
Post 64 style action, made 1984. As to the stock bedding, we shall see. It is factory bedded in the way that Win has done for some years, not much more than a cursory bedding of the recoil lug area. Better than nothing but that's about all.
As with any new rifle I will shoot it first and see how it does and if it flings flyers the first thing I usually do is free float the barrel. Right now it does have a pressure point out forward though aft of where they usually are.
If it needs bedding I have done dozens of them, its pretty easy. But before I do anything to it I must establish that its a more or less "keeper" being that this is a collectable model of rifle. Only 500 made.

I agree that is a nice looking rifle, but as said previously check the crossbolts for tightness. The rear one looked loose, but it could be just the picture. I hope it shoots well for you.
The cross bolts are not loose guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you