Why was 9mm Short developed?

Cagt3/Claton
Thank you for the replies..yes , I believe the 6.5x55 Credmoore is an exceptional caliber. This will be the first new rifle I will purchase, all other rifles are old ones with a story to it...the only challenge for me is to learn to shoot it out to 350 meters +...since I am an incredible shot on distances from 5 meters out to 60 meters..I usually never miss with my heavy bore rifles...:LOL::LOL::LOL:(y) But I really am not capable to shoot out to long distances ....especially out to 300-400 meters....so a lot of practice needs to be done when I purchase the 6.5x55 Creedmoore...(y)(y)(y)
Clayton, this 9mm S will be my wife`s pistol to shoot..I will purchase for myself a 9 mm P sometime in the future..(y)

The 9mm short, better know as the 380 is a pain in the ass for reloaders. They are so close in size to the 9mm they get mixed up when reloading. It's not until you expand the brass to seat bullets that you realize you're dealing with 380 brass instead of 9mm.

Trouble comes when you shooting the .380 ACP and all the brass goes everywhere..now you have to look carefully through the 6.57 , the 9mm P and your 9mm S ( .380 ACP) laying on the floor of the shooting range...not a pleasant exercise ... :LOL::LOL: Luckily I have .380 ACP re-loading set and am buying a lot of rounds to use the brass later for re-loading..I already taught my wife to do the re-loading herself...(y)(y)(y)

Both will serve you well. Hopefully neither of you will ever have to put one to the test.

Better to be prepared than sorry...last night a man husband and wife was gunned down a few blocks from y house here in Witbank, South Africa, by criminals in their house..be sure these criminals will not be brought to book..I always had the notion of protecting myself/family , not let the law protect me and my family..I am responsible for my own and will not rely on others to protect us..(y)(y)

The .380 is actually a cartridge designed for economy and simplicity. I know... today it is more expenisve than 9mm Luger but... Think about it. It is largest common caliber that can be fitted into a compact to normal sized blowback (or blow forward) pistol. The guns could used the same barrel stock as the 9mm luger. This made the guns much easier to produce and ensured more reliable function without all the R&D $. Recoil operated guns need to have either a floating barrel or other such system (flapper locked mauser style, inertia etc.) to ensure that the breech stays shut long enough for the pressure to drop. Sure, you can make a 9mm Luger or .45ACP blowback gun but they tend to be incredibly heavy. In any case... delayed blowback (roller locked, pederson, etc.) and recoil operated (there are many, MANY designs of these) are complicated and finicky to get right compared to a blowback pistol. When you get them right they are near indestructable (as Gaston Glock showed the world.) But all in all blowback guns are far cheaper and easier to make and their simplicity makes them reliable. So when many European police agencies and others wanted inexpensive compact pistols that shot the hardest hitting round they could from an autoloader, they turned to the .380. Sure there are probably other calibers similar in performance but none come to mind and until modern compact recoil operated pistols, these were the guns of choice for someone who would carry a gun a lot, shot a little and needed it to be small, concealable, reliable and powerful. This is why the .380 has stuck around as long as it has.

You do know your way around a semi-auto.

Chris G, thank you kindly for this interesting information, it really is much appreciated...(y)(y)(y)

Makes a GREAT pocket sized gun, especially the Glock 42...

IMG_1008.jpg
While not my favorite pistol round, one of my fav little pistols is a FEG in .380. What makes it especially cool is that it was made for SAPS in RSA, part of a run for their police, and the SAPS emblem is on the slide. Its modeled after the PPK. FEG pistols have a pretty spotty reputation, and I have owned more than a few. This one has been a great and reliable pistol, quite accurate. But I also have a stainless PPK/S as well. Got it covered!

Last edited:
I love my 380 chambered pistols. I would feel comfortable relying on one for a personal defense.

View attachment 204977
I'm late to this thread but my wife has this little Ruger in 9mm and it also comes in the 380. She shoots it pretty well and it has a built in laser aim.

IMG_0204.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some looking around in my country, South Africa, it seems this caliber is quite popular here..even ammo is available and not too expensive at all..this is my wife`s pistol and she shoots it quite accurate...at least I can purchase enough rounds to reload for this pistol...(y)(y)
These are nice guns because they are smaller and has less recoil. Because shooting a small large cal. Handgun might cause problems with follow up shots. I like the 32acp for a gun to hide easy sure it has about 9foot pounds less power at 50 yards but if you can shoot a very tight grooping with the gun I think its better because you dont have to train asmuch to become a good shot with the gun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boobrick8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you