Why not a Single Shot?

Surely not as fast as Mwag, but this was me practicing years ago with a 416 Remington. The shellholder was made by my wife. I killed my first two buffalo with that rifle.

I never felt I was a better or worse shot with a bolt gun or single shot. I do know I am faster with a bolt gun on the second shot, the amount of movement required gives the edge to the repeater. My doubles are even faster.

That is some fine shooting @Mike70560 !

Forgot about this thread for a bit. I love single shots and bolts, doubles, and semi's. Nothing in my post should be taken to disparage anyone's choice for hunting. I'm pretty quick with a single shot, and can certainly make 3 shots on an 8" plate in under 8 seconds. No single shot, and no single shot shooter, will come close to an R8 though. Fast enough for field use? All depends on the field, but for pure speed of a second shot, the single isn't even in the running. The truth is a good shooter with an R8 can keep up with almost anyone running a double too. I've seen professional PH's shoot doubles quite a bit slower than the R8. I'm sure some can also shoot faster.

There's a lot of truth in what you say.... unfortunately, as the Chapuis product manager for the USA, I get paid to "love to hate" Blaser and the R8. I frankly do believe that the Chapuis ROLS is a trimmer, better-looking straight-pull rifle with a stronger locking mechanism, but honestly we're splitting hairs. Blaser makes a hell of a rifle, plus they offer a fantastic array of calibers. You'll never hear a single critical word about Blaser from me.

Anyway, back on topic. I view single-shot hunting as being on a continuum between archery and bolt-action hunting. If you look at it as a somewhat specialized proposition--getting closer, being 100% sure of your shot, being willing to pass up opportunities under less-than-ideal conditions--then it makes perfect sense.

My PH has challenged me to not only take a single shot on my 2023 safari (he knows my marked preference for them), but to make it an iron-sights-only proposition. Even closer to archery. I'm working up one of my singles to be the ideal unscoped game-getter. It will either be my H&H with a Lyman sight, which it originally came with (if only I could find the right model!) or my .303 Watson Brothers Martini. The Westley .500 is being worked on by Steven Bertram, so that will be very much in the running as well. This year I've killed a bushbuck with my Martini single, and it felt great--as close as it gets to emulating the hunters from the golden age. Woudln't have it any other way.

1660303611085.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m planning on hunting with my Ruger #1 in 300 H&H next June. Eastern Cape and Kwazulu-Natal. Plains game only. I’ve used bolt action rifles on my previous safaris, but I can‘t remember a case where having a single shot would have been a problem.

I’m planning on hunting with my Ruger #1 in 300 H&H next June. Eastern Cape and Kwazulu-Natal. Plains game only. I’ve used bolt action rifles on my previous safaris, but I can‘t remember a case where having a single shot would have been a problem.
Great rifle and great caliber. .300 H&H was the first sporting rifle I've ever owned (Win Mod. 70 push feed)--I considered it absolutely perfect, plus it has history. Since sold it and settled on "my" .375 H&H Flanged and the .303, but I still reserve a special place in my heart for the Super Thirty.

The 300 H&H is such a classic! I hunted Kwazulunatal with a iron sighted 318 double and 425 bolt gun. No regrets whatsoever. Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

The 300 H&H is such a classic! I hunted Kwazulunatal with a iron sighted 318 double and 425 bolt gun. No regrets whatsoever. Have fun, and let us know how it goes!
Now that selection of firearms was Proper! I’ll be sure to let you all know how the safari goes.

Surely not as fast as Mwag, but this was me practicing years ago with a 416 Remington. The shellholder was made by my wife. I killed my first two buffalo with that rifle.

I never felt I was a better or worse shot with a bolt gun or single shot. I do know I am faster with a bolt gun on the second shot, the amount of movement required gives the edge to the repeater. My doubles are even faster.

You're not kidding around. That's excellence in action.
That is some fine shooting @Mike70560 !
For sure.

I've been to Africa twice and on both trips I took two single shot rifles, a T/C Encore and a Ruger #1. When I go on my first DG hunt I'll use my Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby. A single shot rifle has been my primary hunting rifle for the last 30+ years and I've never felt underguned.
I like single shot rifles and use my TC Encore in .22-250 as my primary coyote rifle. button would never use one for dangerous game. It would have been fine on my last buffalo, which took the bullet through the top of the heart and out the side. He ran about 25 yards and piled up dead. One and done. My first bull took a shot slightly lower in the heart, and charged. I was glad to only have to throw the bolt to bring the next round into battery. Several more shots were required to knock him down and in the end he jumped up and tried to close on my PH at about 10 feet. I shot him in the spine just in front of the shoulder, breaking his neck to finish him.
I don't worry about a coyote coming to rearrange my anatomy, but dangerous game is just that, and with the exception of leopard, I would not be happy with a "one-shooter."

I love hunting Cape buffalo with my break open single shot .577 NE. I can reload it very quickly but have not needed a second shot yet on 7 buffalo. I try to get close for a good shot and use the best bullets available. It's just the way I like to do it these days.

If I could afford a good double I would use it.
I have happily used a bolt action on 2 cape buffalo as well.
Brian

Got nothing against single shots, but personally they're just not for me. Only the most self confident shot can safely use one (esp. against dangerous game). I just don't have that kind of self confidence.

When hunting, I always try to control as many of the factors as I possibly can. Because believe me ... once you're out there in the bush, there's plenty of factors out there which you CAN'T control.
IMG_20220702_174915_02_02.jpg

IMG_20220530_171012_01.jpg

I went after my first and second man eating Royal Bengal tiger in '81 and '88, armed with a Pakistani 12 gauge (2 3/4") single barrel shotgun. On both occasions, the ejector of the shotgun failed to extract the spent Eley Alphamax L.G shell after I had given the tigers the first shot. And I had to forcibly pry the expended shell out of the breech, with a folding knife. By the time I had finally finished reloading the damn gun... both the man eaters had gotten out of my sight. At any rate, even if the shotgun's ejector worked perfectly ... I doubt that I would have been able to get another L.G shell into the breech in time before the tigers managed to get away (or even attack me, which they definitely would have if I wasn't inside a hut on the first occasion and on top of a macchan on the second occasion). Fortunately, on both occasions the first shot had eventually proved fatal. The first tiger succumbed to his gunshot wound roughly seven hours after taking the shot. The second tiger folded within roughly four hours.

Now, yes. A cheap Pakistani shotgun (worth the equivalent of 50 American cents back in those days) shouldn't be a fair representation of single shot weapons, in general. But still.
After the incident in '88, I resolved to never hunt with a single shot weapon ever again. Bolt action rifles and double barrel rifles for me, always.

Got nothing against single shots, but personally they're just not for me. Only the most self confident shot can safely use one (esp. against dangerous game). I just don't have that kind of self confidence.

When hunting, I always try to control as many of the factors as I possibly can. Because believe me ... once you're out there in the bush, there's plenty of factors out there which you CAN'T control.
View attachment 495103
View attachment 495105

I went after my first and second man eating Royal Bengal tiger in '81 and '88, armed with a Pakistani 12 gauge (2 3/4") single barrel shotgun. On both occasions, the ejector of the shotgun failed to extract the spent Eley Alphamax L.G shell after I had given the tigers the first shot. And I had to forcibly pry the expended shell out of the breech, with a folding knife. By the time I had finally finished reloading the damn gun... both the man eaters had gotten out of my sight. At any rate, even if the shotgun's ejector worked perfectly ... I doubt that I would have been able to get another L.G shell into the breech in time before the tigers managed to get away (or even attack me, which they definitely would have if I wasn't inside a hut on the first occasion and on top of a macchan on the second occasion). Fortunately, on both occasions the first shot had eventually proved fatal. The first tiger succumbed to his gunshot wound roughly seven hours after taking the shot. The second tiger folded within roughly four hours.

Now, yes. A cheap Pakistani shotgun (worth the equivalent of 50 American cents back in those days) shouldn't be a fair representation of single shot weapons, in general. But still.
After the incident in '88, I resolved to never hunt with a single shot weapon ever again. Bolt action rifles and double barrel rifles for me, always.
Hunter-Habib, I can only tip my hat to you, sir. The kind of experience you have inspires an immense amount of respect and I can guarantee you that your advice will be taken and treasured.

Nobody here will ever hunt a Bengal tiger--you are indeed a rare breed of man, and I want to thank you for taking the time to post on this forum.

Hunter-Habib, I can only tip my hat to you, sir. The kind of experience you have inspires an immense amount of respect and I can guarantee you that your advice will be taken and treasured.

Nobody here will ever hunt a Bengal tiger--you are indeed a rare breed of man, and I want to thank you for taking the time to post on this forum.
Why thank you, Tom. Here's the third and last one I got with my Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe 7x57mm Mauser (and a single Winchester Super X soft nosed 175 grain cartridge) in '89.
IMG_20220702_174409_01_02.jpg

I’ve done a fair amount of hunting with T/C Contender and Encore handguns and Encore and Ruger #1 and #3 rifles. None of these in Africa.
There have been a couple of times where a quick follow up was needed, but although nowhere near as fast as a bolt, pump, lever or double, but I was able to get the second shot in.
I‘ve always had a soft spot for #1’s (and #3’s). Prior to my buffalo hunt, I had intended to take a #1 in .458 Lott. After talking to several outfitters / PH’s, they discouraged the idea and recommended a bolt gun. I ended up taking a bolt .416 Ruger. As it turned out, the #1 would have worked well.
My next buffalo hunt will be with the #1.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 8.54.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 8.54.04 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 8.54.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 8.54.05 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
I love a nice single shot rifle. Tom, your rifles are stunningly beautiful and elegant. Timeless classics.

We have Merkel single shot rifles. Mine is a 30-06 and Mama's is a 7x57R. We love those little rifles.

I have always had a Ruger #1 (or 2). Currently I have one in 9.3x74R. In this configuration it is a handy carbine that hits with authority.

Safe shooting

Here’s a beauty
Did some research (this rifle has piqued my interest, but well beyond my bank account) in Geoff McDonald 's useful Woodleigh reloading manual (essential for african hunter); if I've got it right, this pushes 310 grain solids or softs to 2,050 +/-, with identical SD and BC. An utterly awesome, classic stalking rifle; someone will be blessed to land this ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross